Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

The Lowdown on Tilapia

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
One of those dirtiest jobs episodes had cleaning the tilapia tanks on it, I won't eat the shit after that ....lol

I've came to the conclusion that the manufacturing and rearing processes of most foods seem pretty nasty once you understand them so I take it all in stride. That being said you can taste a huge difference between farmed and wild, and this study only focused on farmed.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I've came to the conclusion that the manufacturing and rearing processes of most foods seem pretty nasty once you understand them so I take it all in stride. That being said you can taste a huge difference between farmed and wild, and this study only focused on farmed.
Agreed, unfortunately I get that mental picture every time I tried to eat it after watching that show and it makes me wanna gag...lol
I have to stick with RED SNAPPER from now on:p

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Looking into the laws covering the rearing and slaughter of animals will change how you eat for sure... Chicken and fish arent covered and can be handled pretty much however...

Thinkbig

Thinkbig

MuscleHead
Jun 29, 2011
I like Roughy, because I enjoy a nice Orange oily, gelatinous shit, from time to time.

Last edited:
F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
a study at forest state university shows that tilapia raises bad cholesterol and lowers good

That study is mentioned in my first post and rebutted.Why they claim it was unhealthy was because of the O-6 to O-3 ratio.But no thought was put into the entire diet.As I always say,as was said in the research about this,you cannot judge an entire diet based on one food,one meal,etc.As long as your entire diet falls within certain guidelines for whatever goal you are trying to accomplish,then you are GTG.

Plus as they stated as well,the fat content of Tilapia is so low that it doesnt really matter what the O-6 /O-3 ratios are,Tilapia still falls well under the recommended allowance of fat consumption.

But again,your total dietary needs are whats of the most importance,not one meal.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
That study is mentioned in my first post and rebutted.Why they claim it was unhealthy was because of the O-6 to O-3 ratio.But no thought was put into the entire diet.As I always say,as was said in the research about this,you cannot judge an entire diet based on one food,one meal,etc.As long as your entire diet falls within certain guidelines for whatever goal you are trying to accomplish,then you are GTG.

Plus as they stated as well,the fat content of Tilapia is so low that it doesnt really matter what the O-6 /O-3 ratios are,Tilapia still falls well under the recommended allowance of fat consumption.

But again,your total dietary needs are whats of the most importance,not one meal.

And I quote the researchers....

"So, if were is telling you that tilapia is a good low-fat fish to eat, you may be wondering why the mainstream media has been telling you to avoid tilapia like the plague. That's a great question, and of course, we have a great answer. It's just another case of scientists failing to use common sense. The researchers who claimed that tilapia was unhealthier for you than bacon or a greasy burger were from Wake Forest University (Winston-Salem, North Carolina). Why did they make this claim? It's because, according to a study they published in a 2008 issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, tilapia has an unsavory ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids.

They were correct in the finding that tilapia has a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 of between 2:1 and 3:1. A healthy diet should contain a ratio of 1:1 or less. But note that the key word here is diet. That does not signify that every single food you eat in your diet has to have this ratio. It just means that at the end of the day, your total intake ration for omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids should hit about 1:1 or less; that is, you should eat an equal amount of omega-3 and omega-6, or less omega-6 than omega-3. You need a certain amount of both in your diet."

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic