Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

The Diet of Ancient Greek Olympian Athletes

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I like the sensationalism of the start of the article. Basically, these ancient Greek's were athletically superior on vegetarian diets... First, most of their athletic feats would be considered pedestrian today, not even qualifying at your local high school meet. Second, if an athlete would have had access to the knowledge we have of nutrition today, they would have smoked their competition.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Abstract. The term “protein” originates from the Greek word proteios, meaning “primary” or “of first rank”. The name was adapted by Jöns Berzelius in 1838 to emphasize the importance of this class of molecules.

Their diet aligns with being of lower class, slaves and convicts.

Their diet was shit.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
It says mostly vegetarian.
"Lastly, seafood and eggs were an additional, significant part of the ancient Greek diet which likely served as good sources of protein for ancient Olympians."

Fish and eggs are a top notch protein source in my book.

Spartans ate meat, melas Zomos, a blood stew that was a primary meal for them. I wanted to try it but my wife balked and I never did.
  • 1 lb pork shank
  • 1/2 pint pork blood
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • barley (optional)
  • a small amount of dried fish

massimo1

massimo1

VIP Member
Dec 16, 2022
Abstract. The term “protein” originates from the Greek word proteios, meaning “primary” or “of first rank”. The name was adapted by Jöns Berzelius in 1838 to emphasize the importance of this class of molecules.

Their diet aligns with being of lower class, slaves and convicts.

Their diet was shit.
A
In their time, by the standards then, athletes were considered elite and the best were superstars with statues dedcated to them.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
I was shocked to find out that the mighty Spartans also ate like ferries. and on a good day they got to eat horrible shit. times were tough. and their amazing ability came from their heart and their minds. obviously they found strength in the pits of misery.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic