Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Testosterone/Estrogen-I want to know if I have the right...feedback please!

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
I wrote this months ago but have recently begun to look at it again. I am researching the connection between bio-identical testosterone administration and if it actually does or can cause estrogen/estradiol levels to elevate and in turn cause unwanted and uncomfortable side effects such as gynecomastia, edema, hairloss and testicular atrophy (among other things). The answer as most of you know is yes, testosterone converts to estrogen, simple right? It is obviously not quite that simple, however this is the simplest explanation.

I understand of course, but it made me think how much better off every man who is either using AAS or going through andropause would be if they really understood the complex dynamic process of aromatase. I of course am not the person to give anyone facts on this matter, but I dug into some information and merged it with what I already knew (not much I might add) and came up with what I hope will be of some help to someone. Corrections are, as usual, welcomed if I have "misfired" or "destroyed" a fact or have a process wrong!

I plan on touching on estrogen production and control as well as a bit about the side effects estrogen dominance and high estrogen levels can cause. I will aslo touch on low test levels either through suppression from exogenous adrogens or via naturally occuring problems…namley andropause (aka: male menopause).

Here goes nothing:

__________________________________________________ _______________

Testosterone! That word alone makes most gym rats (like me) extatic thinking about either administering a bioidentical copy or experimenting with different ways to “boost” my natural production. Testosterone doesn’t just build muscle and put hair on a mans chest, it affects the entire body, including the brain. Testosterone is a hormone from the group of hormones known as steroid hormones. In men testosterone is secreted into the body via the testes. The process more complex than one may assume. Testosterone is derived from cholesterol. The first step in the bodys manufacture of test involves the oxidative cleavage of the actual molecular structure of cholesterol. Six carbon atom are, in simple terms, cut off the structure which results in the hormone pregnenolone. Next the pregnenolone loses two more carbon atoms and becomes a buffett of C19 steroids.

The termanology describing this process, for me, begins to become more familar and will probably also be familiar to anyone who has done research on prohormones. The 3-hex group is oxodized by 3-beta to produce androstenedione.r The androstenedione is then reduced by 17Beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase to yield…you guessed it TESTOSTERONE!!!

As mentioned earlier the largest amounts of testosterone (>95%) are produced by the testes in men.r Leydig cells in the testes, ultamatly produce testosterone . Testosterone reaches tissues via the blood stream where much of it is transported bound to the protein sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG).

So Leydig cells in our testes manufacture testosterone which is then circulated through the body using blood flow like an 18 wheeler leaving a warehouse and using the interstate system to deliver its cargo…but wait! The 18 wheeler doesn’t load itself with products it makes without assistance… right? Same with the Leydig cells, they are only the warehouse loading dock with a factory backing them up.

The number of Leydig cells is determined by luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). In addition, the amount of testosterone produced by existing Leydig cells is under the control of LH which regulates (through another mechanism altogher) the levels of testosterone produced and “shipped” if you will. Low LH, which is a result of the negative feedback loop caused by anabolic steroid use, equates to low testosterone levels. This is due to a suppressed hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis (Hpta). With a healthy Hpta, however, the “assembly line” works as smooth as silk. When the hypothalamus releases gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) to signal the the pituitary gland to release, as mentioned previously, LH and FSH to stimulate testicular production of sperm and, yes, testosterone.

Ok…so what exactly causes gyno, edema, and other estrogen related side effects? There are a couple main situations (physically speaking) in which estrogen can be problematic. 1) Exogenous administration of testosterone. 2) With age comes a drop in natural production and a hormonal imbalance can occur along with testicular atrophy and sexual dysfunction.

So why do estrogen/estradiol levels increase with steroid use, and often with the aging process? When you use exogenous testosterones you obviously will have a surge of androgen that equals much more bound as well as free testosterone. This increase causes several wheels to start turning. But the main problem area is an ample elevation in the action of aromatase, this enzyme aromatase signals a molocule morph that converts testosterone to estradiol/estrogen.

Testosterone levels decline gradually with age in human beings. The clinical term for this is call andropause (aka: male menopause). The question is now, why do levels of test in men drop with age? Some trials and researchers blame an increase in adipose fat levels in conjunction with a decrease in lean muscle mass.r Increased fat provides more tissue levels of aromatase which converts testosterone to estrogen and with the loss of muscle mass comes a raise in cortisol which….yep…you got it, leads to even more fatty tissue. This can result in prostate and liver problems as well as heart and kidneys.

If you are a steroid user you must cycle properly. Time off cycle should equal your time on plus 1 month (PCT is considered on cycle time). You should also use SERMs and/or AI’s along with hcg during cycle in order to prevent wild fluctuations in hormonal levels, and remember…bloodwork before, and after each AAS cycle. Former users, such as myself, should also keep up with blood work and be prepared to start HRT if necessary.

Guys, please give me some input if you have an opinion or if I'm off base somewhere. I am preparing to start HRT so any additional info on this topic and how those on HRT most commonly treat sides is welcomed.

Thanks in advance...

whowhatwhenwhere

whowhatwhenwhere

Scammer
Dec 15, 2010
This sounds exactly how I understand it..... My only comment is that (im saying this since Ive been around in this world a bit) I see more and more guys (myself included) who decide to give up on pct and become self administer TRT therapy. I'm curious about the long term effects on estrogen on your body, SHBG, and the effects on the brain long term....

GREAT POST....im going to check out your blog tonight

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
Please do...I also have concerns because I went a long time telling newbies to make sure and do a proper PCT, while I was cruising and blasting!! Stupid on my part...knowing better and not caring.

T

TaiChiChuan

Oct 25, 2012
Great information! Estrogen and damn cortisol my biggest and cruelest enemies. I never realized how important it is to keep those two under control. Now I have no hair, acne is under control, prostate gland has shrunk down to normal size. Thanks to the Test E. I'm going to put AI's in the medicine cabinet, kitchen cupboard, on my desk, and in the glove compartment of my car.
I began TRT in 11/2011, but I've been using steroids since 1/2006 with only a 3 month layoff to qualify for TRT which I don't need. I'm in the therapy by the behest of DR. Ahlert's snooping into my files and read my latest blood test results and found out that my test level was off the chart. Dose is 300mg.EOW. I tried this for 3 months and the I went back to injecting 3,000mg. a month.
I don't have to go in for blood testing because the the TRT is self-administered. I call the pharmacy for refills of Test E, needles, and syringes. If I feel that a blood test is necessary, I walk into the TRT, sign-in, request the blood test, have it done and leave. Thank you for opening my eyes to something that's been with me all this time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic