Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Science for Maximum Muscle Destruction

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
another excellent write up. i knew flat bench was not as good as decline as far as chest growth i was surprised to see it that far down on the list.

another one that surprised me is seated BB press for anterior delts. i would have thought that one would be king of shoulder exercises for atleast the anterior delts.

the one that really fucked me up was the Close Grip Benchpress falling so far down on that list for triceps!!! i have always considered that an excellent tricep exercise in not only strength but mass building. would have figured that one would have landed second only to skullcrushers.

not sure if this will change any of my exercises but it definitely made me think about adding a few lol

You raise an excellent point that was on my mind while writing this... That was the point of the reference to the tried and true methods that deadweight would preach.

Nothing stresses my tri's like cg bench... nothing puts strain on my delts, and I mean the whole shoulder girdle like BB pressing... I wonder if the results of these tests are being misapplied or misinterpreted??? Or maybe we're just having a hard time coming out of our comfort zones. After going years being told flat bench for mass and decline just works tri's and serratus, it sorta fucks with your head to read this kinda stuff.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
well i am not sure how these studies were conducted and on whom but i think most bodybuilders have already come to the conclusion that decline work and DB work is better for developing chest size. i have always found DB work to be the best for getting MMC with chest.

as far as the presses go i am surprised that BB press was not number one for atleast anterior delts. i cant think of another exercise that you can place more weight for more reps than OH BB press.

CGBP i would have to question that maybe the scientists doing this study were trying to EXCLUDE other muscles as much as possible as well. while CGBP has always been a tricep dominated exercise there is also no doubt that it will hit chest and shoulders hard too.

but as you mentioned there will always be "scientific evidence" and then "under the bar evidence". i would by far take DWs advice over a lab tech's in a heartbeat simply because i know DW has actually been under a heavy weight. the lab tech...... well he watched someone get under the bar lol

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
well i am not sure how these studies were conducted and on whom but i think most bodybuilders have already come to the conclusion that decline work and DB work is better for developing chest size. i have always found DB work to be the best for getting MMC with chest.

as far as the presses go i am surprised that BB press was not number one for atleast anterior delts. i cant think of another exercise that you can place more weight for more reps than OH BB press.

CGBP i would have to question that maybe the scientists doing this study were trying to EXCLUDE other muscles as much as possible as well. while CGBP has always been a tricep dominated exercise there is also no doubt that it will hit chest and shoulders hard too.

but as you mentioned there will always be "scientific evidence" and then "under the bar evidence". i would by far take DWs advice over a lab tech's in a heartbeat simply because i know DW has actually been under a heavy weight. the lab tech...... well he watched someone get under the bar lol

Nice logic bro, well played. Glad we have you here :)

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
thanks for the awesome info pillar, i recently (wed) did the decline presses, which i was told to stay away from unless your lower pecs were lacking...big mistake! after reading this, i hit the decline presses soon as chest day came and ill be dammed if my whole chest isnt still sore! i will try the top rated exercises on their given day, and if they pass the ''oldschool'' test, they shall become a mainstay in my routine arsenal!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic