Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

ROM and the bench press

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
The flat barbell bench press is responsible for more pec tears and pec tendon ruptures than any other chest movement. (Look it up if you don't belive me.) Now opinions are like assholes in that everyone has one and as you said you are going to get a lot of different answers on this. Full ROM flat bench presses are not necessary for building full pecs and in fact are not even the best exercise for developing the pec muscles. Full ROM Decline benches in the 10 to 15 degree decline range takes the majority of the stress off of the pec tendons and activate more muscle fibers in the pecs than flat benches do. Unfortunately most decline benches in commercial gyms are too steep in angle. Anyway to specifically answer your question, I think that stopping 2 to 3 inches above and not going all the way to the chest on flat benches is better than doing full ROM from a risk to benefit point of view.

Nice bro and I'm actually recovering from a partial pec tendon tear done at a meet on 2nd attempt of 456.

Now I agree also on declines but hands down the very best pec development movement done as a bench press is the floor press legs straight out to take all leg drive away and use the chest arms and lat.

So it's been said over and over for years your best movements are the floor press and declines.

To be honest this elbows flared out stopping above the chest with heavy weight is stupid IMO and will cause more shoulder shit then anything it's the bodybuilders or pretend bodybuilder that bitch about shoulders more then anyone and there is a reason for that.

Now don't get me wrong partials are good but use boards or a half foam roller something that takes that pressure off the shoulders.

But on the other hand if you neglect full range you'll developed a good weakness off the chest.

2 other things that will help shoulder a lot

You can use a sling shot I have one Mark is a friend of mine!

You can use a manpon and you will not need additional boards.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Nice bro and I'm actually recovering from a partial pec tendon tear done at a meet on 2nd attempt of 456.

Now I agree also on declines but hands down the very best pec development movement done as a bench press is the floor press legs straight out to take all leg drive away and use the chest arms and lat.

So it's been said over and over for years your best movements are the floor press and declines.

To be honest this elbows flared out stopping above the chest with heavy weight is stupid IMO and will cause more shoulder shit then anything it's the bodybuilders or pretend bodybuilder that bitch about shoulders more then anyone and there is a reason for that.

Now don't get me wrong partials are good but use boards or a half foam roller something that takes that pressure off the shoulders.

But on the other hand if you neglect full range you'll developed a good weakness off the chest.

2 other things that will help shoulder a lot

You can use a sling shot I have one Mark is a friend of mine!

You can use a manpon and you will not need additional boards.

I like floor presses too, but feel them more in my triceps. I agree about the boards when used properly. I've seen too many guys that bounce the weight off the boards like it was a trampoline. Using a manpon is great because you can't bounce the weight like you can with a board press. That's cool that you are friends with Mark. Do you train with team super training? I haven't tried Smelly's slingshot but I'm interested in getting one.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I like floor presses too, but feel them more in my triceps. I agree about the boards when used properly. I've seen too many guys that bounce the weight off the boards like it was a trampoline. Using a manpon is great because you can't bounce the weight like you can with a board press. That's cool that you are friends with Mark. Do you train with team super training? I haven't tried Smelly's slingshot but I'm interested in getting one.

Yeah never bounce the bar off a board and no I'm not a ST member but out team is very close to ST as in friendship wise Mark helped put our gym together.

Can't where I train because some teammate don't like it put out on aas boards.

ST is in Sacramento we are 2 hours away from there.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic