Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Question on Low bar Squats

C

chrome

Sep 14, 2010
Hi all,

I dont post much here and its been a while since I've made any new real gains as I haven't had time to stay in the gym consistently. I hope now that the summer is coming that will change.

My question is regarding low bar squats.

I always thought my bar placement was relatively low until I was talking to one of the cross fit trainers at my gym. He showed me where the bar should be and the proper low bar squat.

It felt wierd to say the least. After he left I decided to throw some weight on there and see how it felt.

The actual weight while doing the squat felt easier to do, I think I can add a few lbs to my squat right now just by using this stance.

The only problem was actually holding the bar on my back and the awkwardness. I had a very hard time standing straight during the walk out, almost like I had to stay leaned forward a little. And when I got back to the top of the lift it felt like the weight wasn't stable and wanted to fall off my back.

During the actual low bar squats everything felt ok, the weight itself felt light compared to my regular squat form.

I am wondering if I am placing the bar too low on my back?

For those that use the low bar squats how does it feel to you?

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
the bar should sit below the ball of your neck any higher u could screw up ur neck there should be a slight lean forward when u walk out but weight still over ur core just look at powerlifters i have to rem to keep the bar lower because i like to rest it on my rear delts which is really to high get a manta i think its called works great if u think ur unstable then lower weight or get more spotters

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Low bar squats are less effective for quad development. But if you're looking for numbers, you can probably squat 10-15% more with low bar.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic