Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Protein powder and stomach issues

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
At the begining of the year I started taking Prolab N large, I took it for a month without trouble. I then switched to EAS from Costco, I was fine for about 2 weeks then out of the blue I started getting real bad stomach cramping from it. I took a week off from it then tried again without luck. I just bought some ON gold standard since its better quality and I'm still experiencing some minor discomfort but not as bad as the EAS. What would cause this just to start happening? I'm a little lactose intolerent but you would think the problem would have started right away. I read that isolates are the easiest on the stomach, anyone have any suggestions on a brand? Thanks.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Fillers?

This is one of the selling points of liquid egg whites. So much easier on the stomach but the nose might suffer for a little bit. lol

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
are you using milk or water? what do you know about probiotics, flora, and a healthy intestinal tract?

some people and animals are more sensitive than others, but by changing, introducing, or taking away nutrients you can damage or also improve the health of your intestinal tract. btw if you are trying to use milk, goats milk is easier for those who are lactose intolerant and Kefir goats milk is even better.

what I find fascinating is that your problem occurred after 2 weeks of use. if the colony of good organisms were dying of in your intestinal tract this would make sense why you started having problems.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
there are very few protein powders i can use. it has something to do with the isolates and how they effect the lower GI tract. i have taken probiotics with mine and it didnt help so would not contribute it to a flora issue. i will have to ask a good friend of mine who owns a supp company as he is the one that gave me the understanding as to why the whey isolates caused this problem. i can tolerate any protein pwdr that is not high in whey isolates. Magnum nutruceuticals Quattro pro has been great for me but damn is it ever spendy! also was able to take Universals pro and oats with no problems and nutrabolics ummmmmm damnit, name escapes me........................

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
nutrabolics fighters food, thats it!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Check the ingredient label... I had the same issue, and basically the crappier the protein the worse the stomach issues were. Whey isolates, or even better - hydrolysates should be the only source of whey in a whey protein. Its my understanding that concentrates are harder to digest.

stone 69

stone 69

Jul 10, 2011
At the begining of the year I started taking Prolab N large, I took it for a month without trouble. I then switched to EAS from Costco, I was fine for about 2 weeks then out of the blue I started getting real bad stomach cramping from it. I took a week off from it then tried again without luck. I just bought some ON gold standard since its better quality and I'm still experiencing some minor discomfort but not as bad as the EAS. What would cause this just to start happening? I'm a little lactose intolerent but you would think the problem would have started right away. I read that isolates are the easiest on the stomach, anyone have any suggestions on a brand? Thanks.

are u mixing with milk?Sometimes if i use milk it will bother me really bad.and some times it wont.So i use distiled water so i dnt take the chance.It gets bad and i end up making my self throw it up to feel better.Just a thought

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I've had so many different reactions to so many different proteins. Most not good. For me one comes through time and time again, Natures Best Zero Carb Isopure and the ultimate flavor is Banana Creme!!!! My body uses it so efficiently and it's scrumptious on top of that.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Jul 16, 2011
I experience a similar problem. I tried some beef protein and I no longer have any issues. I won't mention any brands names here but there is a newer company that makes a very good one. I don't know much about probiotics but that sounds very interesting and I plan on learning about them. Good luck.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
My problem was from them using wpc to make up the lack of wpi. Optimum nutrition is real bad about it so is eas, try a purer form like from Nutribio. Bulk Whey Protein Isolate. ,I use non flavored and non sweetened,because the artificial sweetners destroy your digestion. Took YEARS to figure it out and people think I'm nuts

Last edited:
milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
Some protein powders are like a brick on my stomach. I bought a new one last week, it has 4 digestive enzymes and probiotics .. it really helps.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Surprised nobody else has asked you this yet but, What is your diet like? i have taken some protein powders for several months then changed my diet a bit and BAM, straight bubble guts. Since it didnt start to bother you right away, it could be more than which brand you take. Im sure it had something to do with the ingredients of the protein ortiming my meals and shakes but its something for you to consider.

so what is your diet like?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic