Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Power- What Is It & How To Get It

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
An important factor in muscle building is tempo, more so how much time is dedicated to the eccentric/lowering portion of the lift. I can look up the studies but eccentric contractions are more effective and pertinent to the muscle building process. As far as strength and power and how they effect mass, it's subjective. There are some small powerful guys and there are some large powerful guys. Being strong and powerful usually equate to a higher level of athletic ability, so generally the stronger and more powerful you are the more muscles you could be. But again its subjective.

At the end of the day strength is just a number you can slap on as a limit but power refers to how quickly you can move that number. I was going to look for two different videos to link but this one shows what I wanted to. YouTube - Spencer Wallace (600 Pound Squats) ( Feb. 2010) His first 4 lifts he completes the lifting portion of his squat in about 1-1.5 seconds on his last rep it takes him a little over 2 seconds. If all the lifts were performed by five different lifters you could easily say they are all strong, having the ability to squat 600 pounds, but you could also say the first lift represents a more powerful lifter than the last lift because it moves 600 pound the quickest.

Explosive movements will still work the stabilization muscles. A benchpress performed correctly is essentially a full body movement. You might hear from body builders that you need to press a weight slowly and controlled to feel the burn or some other form of broscience. But someone performing a quick, explosive movement that has proper form is still under control. Performing a movement explosively will train your body to do just that, push a weight explosively. Without getting too much into it, there is a finite limit of time under tension with regard eccentric and concentric contraction that a body can sustain under a certain period of time. The ability for eccentric contraction is superior to that of concentric contraction, so the more powerful you are the more time you could spend in eccentric contraction, if you chose to.

A good powerlifting routine will utilize accesory work to bring up lagging muscles along a particular chain to help to strengthen a main lift, that's correct.

I have read that the human body is capable of changing something like 40% of it's muscle fibers, meaning type I a or b can be converted to type II a or b. What's your take on this. I personally feel that this is possible just from my empirical knowledge from training at an Oly lifting center. I have seen people go from slow are all day to eventually becoming quite quick and it wasn't b/c they were not proficient with the movement they were performing. They would do block work which for oly lifting has one purpose, to make you faster.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I've read that fast twitch muscles can be turned into slow twitch muscles but the science behind it isn't totally understood. I don't remember the study I read it from, but I think it was sprinters that cross trained into endurance style work and a biopsy of the thigh muscle showed a shift in muscle type.

It's very possible that training style has an influence on muscle type to a finite level. It's also important to remember that proficiency occurs on several levels, the more you perform a movement correctly the more efficient your body becomes at firing off muscle contractions in a certain sequence, the stronger certain muscle groups get and all of the other physical adaptions.

Just found some studies.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/1137px7x66667132/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1280565/

First study has to do with intense training second with endurance. It does appear that training has some effect on the amount of muscle fiber types.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's just it. The person I'm referring to is one of the top Oly lifters in the nation. She's already proficient and efficient at the lift but she was able to cut her speed down significantly which translated to her being able to lift more weight. It's really interesting to see things happen firsthand, even if it's just empirical I still feel it's helpful in terms of making adjustments to my training.

I'll def check out the articles you posted on here. Thanks.

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
Wolfie my little buddy. Can you dumb it down for me just a bit? LOL

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic