jacobss
What's New?

Pancreatitis Attack?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Hello all, i'm new here and just wanted to weigh in on something that happened to me this past weekend.
Last Thursday, I took off early from work, say around 230pCT, then met my hubs and another couple out for drinks. I had a beer at this one place and I just started an anavar cycle about a week ago. Ive been taking about 20mg daily split into two times a day. Well I was due for my dose, so I took it with some beer. Yea I know not smart, even while drinking.
So we left that place and went to another place and yes drank more beer. Then went to another place, I had a rum drink and ate something, then lastly ended up at a house where I drank about 1.5 more beers. I did drink some water sporatically throughout the day. Perhaps less than normal though.
About 1a, I woke up with a pain near my chest/under right breast and went back to bed. Pain woke me up again but this time at 5a, and I woke my husband up and he said it sounded like gallbladder. So I took a pain med, went back to bed, but then we ended up going to ER around 1pCT that day.
They did a CT scan and bloodwork. Did not do ultrasound (tech was off). Lipase was 774 H. Doc said this was high and indicative of Pancreatitis. He said that CT showed not gallstones, but he doesn't trust the CT, he wanted to do ultrasound. So they sent me home with pain meds and nausea meds. He offered to keep me until pancreas calmed down, but I just sat around all weekend, drank liquids mostly. My diet had been clean for a few weeks or so prior to attack.

Went to see my regular doc today (only got to see a PA), she did more bloodwork and we will see if liver comes down.

I'm curious if me taking my dose of anavar that day is what triggered it? I am thinking that it did, so of course I did not dose this weekend and haven't since the attack. Don't want to stress out that little bugger, since its important and all : )

I'm new to AAS and know that your diet should be clean, etc. I do take milk thistle when i'm on anavar. This is only my 2nd cycle.

Thanks in advance on any thoughts you might have out there.
I'll try and come back and post my bloodwork when I get it back.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I googled this and found a lot of information but don't of course know first hand if it's correct therefore I will not post any of it. I'm sure if you do the same, you will find a wealth of information on the subject :)

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Indeed, I sure did Jenner. Been googling my ass off all weekend and coming to my own conclusions. I did not inform the Doc of the orals information (sorry if there are Docs on here...perhaps that would have made things easier). I did tell the doc that I drank on Thursday though.
Anywho, just wanted to sound this issue off on likeminded peeps to see what the thoughts were on this. I can't really talk about this stuff with other folks I know....so having this forum helps.
Thank you for your input!

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
The pancreas is on the left side. The gallbladder is lower on the right side. Gallbladder attacks can be very intense and I would say you will know when your having one. It sounds to me, due to the location of your discomfort, that it is your liver. This typically feels like a bloating. Like you ate too much... Continue to hydrate. Hope you feel better soon.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks GiantSlayer, on Friday at 5a, I was definitely having an attack of something. I'm hydrating and trying to feel better. So thank you for your contribution to this post.

So bloodwork come back, liver levels are back to normal (didn't get their number, girl was talking my ear off lol). However I do still have that bloated/feel full/like I ate too much feeling. So I will continue to hydrate and see if this feeling will go away.

Thanks again for listening and i'll post any relevant information as I obtain.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Risk factors for pancreatitis include:
1) gallstones
2) diabetes
3) elevated lipids and chol (Var is well known to Decrease HDL and Increase LDL)
4) ETOH ABUSE
5) certain meds but NOT AAS that
I'm aware of

So was Var your reason, I doubt that. Have you been evaluated for the other RF I mentioned ?

Last edited:
BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Whoops, i hadn't check back to this thread in a few days. My apologies DrJim and thanking you for contributing.

Diabetes has been ruled out via blood tests earlier this year, unless it has come on in the last few months.
Only had the CT scan last Fri for gallstones and none showed up on test.
No history of alcoholism and since I am dieting and working out, I haven't been drinking much. Drinking much to me=2-3 beers once a week (sometimes every other week). I had been restricting drinking until the weekends. With that one Thurs night being an exception. I know I drank a lot that Thurs, more than usual that is. But I am by far an alcoholic. Matter of fact I haven't had any alcohol since that last Thurs because I don't want to disrupt my system and what is going on inside me.
Before I went to bed that night, I did take 2 Excedrine Migraine. I know that these meds are not good on your liver and I take too many of them in my opinion. Perhaps this is attributed to this. What is too many? Well within any given month I probably take 4-8 doses. That is on the high side IMO. Other months I might not have any.
Haven't had a chol test in a few months. Last one was normal.

Thank you for your contributions again.
The latest update is that I tried to work out on Tues night, and ended up having chest pains so bad I had to quit. Went home, and rested. Wed the chest pains were there but not has sharp as the night before while working out. Thurs the pains in chest were more diminished but come back in waves from time to time. Today I can feel some chest pains. I tried to get into my doc today, but he is off I have doc appt on Monday to see him. So I will be taking it easy until then.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Risk factors for pancreatitis include:
1) gallstones
2) diabetes
3) elevated lipids and chol (Var is well known to Decrease HDL and Increase LDL)
4) ETOH ABUSE
5) certain meds but NOT AAS that
I'm aware of

So was Var your reason, I doubt that. Have you been evaluated for the other RF I mentioned ?

Never heard of AAS causing it.

I had it. It is profound pain. They check your blood mine was Amylase and Lipase +100,000. I dont drink. Cause was labeled ideopathic but a year later out went the Gall Bladder.

Hope you feel better.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Have we completely ruled out gas?

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Whoops, i hadn't check back to this thread in a few days. My apologies DrJim and thanking you for contributing.

Diabetes has been ruled out via blood tests earlier this year, unless it has come on in the last few months.
Only had the CT scan last Fri for gallstones and none showed up on test.
No history of alcoholism and since I am dieting and working out, I haven't been drinking much. Drinking much to me=2-3 beers once a week (sometimes every other week). I had been restricting drinking until the weekends. With that one Thurs night being an exception. I know I drank a lot that Thurs, more than usual that is. But I am by far an alcoholic. Matter of fact I haven't had any alcohol since that last Thurs because I don't want to disrupt my system and what is going on inside me.
Before I went to bed that night, I did take 2 Excedrine Migraine. I know that these meds are not good on your liver and I take too many of them in my opinion. Perhaps this is attributed to this. What is too many? Well within any given month I probably take 4-8 doses. That is on the high side IMO. Other months I might not have any.
Haven't had a chol test in a few months. Last one was normal.

Thank you for your contributions again.
The latest update is that I tried to work out on Tues night, and ended up having chest pains so bad I had to quit. Went home, and rested. Wed the chest pains were there but not has sharp as the night before while working out. Thurs the pains in chest were more diminished but come back in waves from time to time. Today I can feel some chest pains. I tried to get into my doc today, but he is off I have doc appt on Monday to see him. So I will be taking it easy until then.

Your weekend of "over doing" the finer things in life may have been the culprit. Gallstones are an unlikely source if you bilirubin was normal.

Although your lipase level is diagnostic of pancreatitis it seems to have been relatively mild since you are recovering so promptly.

Your chest pains ? Well shit "there you go again complicating things". :)

Could indeed be "gas pains" as suggested because a diseased pancreas does not produce enough digestive enzymes for normative GI motility and absorption for roughly ONE WEEK in mild cases. Consequently a lot of what you may eat just sits there causing problems.

I suggest clear liquids, advanced to full liquids over the first week. But perhaps the most important thing to remember after a bout off P, is DONT EAT IF YOUR NOT HUNGARY, especially solid food!

Finally because of my "income earning" ED practice I am trained to think BAD THINGS (heart attacks, lung clots, pneumonias etc) when folk mention "chest pain", so let your doc know about this complaint also.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic