Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Newbie looking toward weight loss

mojd80

mojd80

Dec 26, 2011
Hey folks!

Found this site by following a group of folks on Twitter. Lots of great information here, sometimes get over whelmed as a newbie roaming around!

A bit about me: I am 48, 49 in May, I am morbidly obese according to insurance and doctor's measurements. I'm borderline diabetes, I have low blood pressure and was advised to increase my salt intake. My cholesterol is good last time it was checked, next physical is in May and will be tested again. I am 5'10" and somewhere around 285lbs. I was semi-active while doing 13 years in the Air Force as a firefighter BUT am now basically sedentary as a 911 dispatcher. I work 6 days a week on the 3-11 shift and at least once a week work til 3am. I am the classic parent taxi cab for one of my 3 daughters and can come up with tons of excuses for not working out. I am the classic yo-yo dieter and my most recent try was with a vegan diet that lost me over 70lbs of which I have kept off about 20lbs, that was about a year and a half ago. I have been married for 28 years to a wife that is fighting to gain weight. She is 5'5" 110lbs and can't seem to gain weight. Her basic problem is that she can't stop moving! She is a loss prevention officer and walks the mall for 40 hours a week on top of everything else she does around the house and errand running. She is a junk food buyer to try to gain weight and is a very picky eater making it difficult to buy for the household, if the junk food is in the house I'm one that heads straight for it where she'll eat 4-5 chips and roll up the bag, ME I eat over half the bag before I realize how much I've gone through! I think that gives a general idea about me and my family for now.

Equipment: So I don't have a lot of money so gym costs are a no-no for me. Because of this my daughter and I have made some purchases at local auctions over the past few years.

A Smith's Machine and about 300lbs of weight, a treadmill from the 1980's (still works but to do inclines you have to get off, hold a lever and lift the machine), a Tony Little Gazelle, and a portable rowing machine.

I think I have the equipment I need, I just need the mental part to kick in and stop making excuses!!

Looking forward to reading, learning and making new friends!! Hope to share my road toward better fitness, and learn things along the way! Any help/tips of encouragement would be appreciated! I've read a few forum topics in the weight loss section and hope to incorporate them soon!!

Thanks for reading this lengthy intro,

Dave

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Welcome to TID! Be glad to help, ask any questions and good for you for geting started!

peace.

Last edited:

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Welcome...I think you hit part of what you need to be focusing on in your post, all though Im no vegan fan, your diet is going to play the biggest role there, I know its generic as hell for people to respond that way but I would advise you post up some diet info and questions in the diet forum so you can gain some direction on how to get you where you want to be.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Welcome to the Den... You're making some great steps in the right direction. Hope we can offer you some information that helps out!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
hello mojd! thank you for the lengthy intro. as aj said, diet is the key. it has been my biggest stumbling block! i got on top of it by cutting out one thing at a time. it took several years to get them all gone but i do pretty good for the most part now. i first cut out all soda. then a few months later, i stopped all fast foods. that one took longer to get on top of and to stop craving. then i cut out bread and then potatos and then pasta, etc etc. for me the key was one thing at a time because changing everything at once made me fail everyday and then i wondered why i was even bothering!

good luck, we are here to help you in anyway. start threads with your questions, we have some great minds and a lot of experience on this board and we want to help!

have a great day and welcome :D

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
WOW... Nice into, This is a great place to ask questions, we are more than happy to help you with achieving any goals you may have. Welcome to TID

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Welcome aboard we look forward to following your progress.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic