Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

New PR Pulled my first 6 plate Dead (585)@ 198

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
SF makes a good point. You'll want to squat with a 55lbs bar b/c you won't be using a 45lbs bar in a meet. If I wasn't going to use a DL bar, I'd use a stiffer bar and not just some gym bar which is what I do. I use a TPB which is stiffer and than from time to time I'll use a DL bar (so I don't forget how to pull with one).

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
SF makes a good point. You'll want to squat with a 55lbs bar b/c you won't be using a 45lbs bar in a meet. If I wasn't going to use a DL bar, I'd use a stiffer bar and not just some gym bar which is what I do. I use a TPB which is stiffer and than from time to time I'll use a DL bar (so I don't forget how to pull with one).

Plus a good squat bar is really thick and a different feel on your back essentially with the heavy knurl.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Plus a good squat bar is really thick and a different feel on your back essentially with the heavy knurl.

Yeah it def feels different and the knurling goes the entire distance of the bar and you center it with the 1 line it has in the middle. I personally think it's easier to squat with a bigger bar but that's just me.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Yeah it def feels different and the knurling goes the entire distance of the bar and you center it with the 1 line it has in the middle. I personally think it's easier to squat with a bigger bar but that's just me.

I do also like a bigger bar seems to stay better and give more for the body to hold onto and that is huge on a lift at max weight and beyond meaning a PR.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Macgyver if you want to compete see if you can hook up with some local guys sometimes local gyms will have little unofficial meets and you might find some guys to help you with a program.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Make your training harder than it will be at the meet, that way you have nothing to worry about.

With that in mind, I'd train with a stiffer bar if you have that option.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Find a real Powerlifting team with their own gym not just a group of idiots that think they are a team because many are clueless. I don't know where your from but if I did I could help guide you to a team.

Tried to PM you and it said you are not receiving PM's

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
One thing you MUST train with is a monolift if you're going to compete in a fed that uses them. They feel a whole helluva lot different.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
monster lift brother keep working on the mechanics and you will be bangin heaver lifts in no time

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic