Members
Latest Member
Samson0692
What's New?

Need help

Irishriley

Irishriley

Jul 3, 2020
I am a 53 year old male and I am getting back into working out as I want to be at my healthiest as I age. Not trying to be 300lb couch potato in my older years. I've noticed I do not have the energy and stamina I once had. My gains are coming at a very slow rate and I can't seem to get rid of this belly fat to save my life. Can someone please point me in the direction to go to get past these issues i am having

Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
Have you have you test level checked?? Could be diet related, are you getting enough sleep? That's a big factor if you snore of have undiagnosed sleep apnea. Over training?? Stress work or relationship??

You didn't really give much info I'm 52 get my T levels checked 2x a year I'm on TRT. But maybe that would be a good starting point, and if anything else i mentioned is true that could be a contributing factor.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
My advice is drop body fat first. Lower body fat increases testosterone and lowers estrogen, both actions increase base metabolic rate while producing an ideal environment to increase muscle mass. I would ease into a keto diet, perform light cardio 5 days a week and lift moderate wights for power and strength. Look at a marathon runner's stringy flat body and that of a sprinter. Shorter more explosive training sessions vs too many sets will only hold you back.

Remember, the more muscle you carry the higher base metabolic rate aka 24/7 fat burning.

Do not eat sugar, drink alcohol or snack. For me I find meal spacing paramount to dropping fat. I like to feel hungry for 30 minutes, then eat a meal of 40% high quality protein, 40% long carbs and 20% healthy fats.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Have you have you test level checked?? Could be diet related, are you getting enough sleep? That's a big factor if you snore of have undiagnosed sleep apnea. Over training?? Stress work or relationship??

You didn't really give much info I'm 52 get my T levels checked 2x a year I'm on TRT. But maybe that would be a good starting point, and if anything else i mentioned is true that could be a contributing factor.

All great advice with the emphasize on NOT over training as Pooh notes.

Eat enough to nourish muscles and not feed the fat cells.

I like keto for bursts and then back to 40/40/20. 40% proteins, 40% carbs, 20% fats. When we're young this is all simple, eat lift sleep. the challenges for me at 57 years old is changing up and changing up often.

Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
Also a better intro tell us how long you've training, what's your bf%, there's alot of good people here you'll get good advise but a lil more info would be helpful

Irishriley

Irishriley

Jul 3, 2020

I have never had my T levels checked. What is TRT? I don't over train and not really stressed out as I'm single in no relationship. I do work 3rd shift so my sleep pattern isn't the best. I have been told before that I do snore. Thanks for your reply and help in pointing me in a right direction.

Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
T is testosterone, and try is testosterone replacement therapy.
Take no offense sounds like your new to this, as someone stated above diet is first and foremost. This is a great place to sit back and read about training and diet. Given your age definitely get your t levels check, low t definitely makes you feel fatigue and lethargic. You might be a good TRT candidate.
I used to work a 3rd shift it really screws up up body and sleeping, I recommend a eye mask or get some dark curtains to trick your brain it's dark.

Irishriley

Irishriley

Jul 3, 2020
My advice is drop body fat first. Lower body fat increases testosterone and lowers estrogen, both actions increase base metabolic rate while producing an ideal environment to increase muscle mass. I would ease into a keto diet, perform light cardio 5 days a week and lift moderate wights for power and strength. Look at a marathon runner's stringy flat body and that of a sprinter. Shorter more explosive training sessions vs too many sets will only hold you back.

Remember, the more muscle you carry the higher base metabolic rate aka 24/7 fat burning.

Do not eat sugar, drink alcohol or snack. For me I find meal spacing paramount to dropping fat. I like to feel hungry for 30 minutes, then eat a meal of 40% high quality protein, 40% long carbs and 20% healthy fats.
Thanks for the advice. How exactly or should I say what exactly should I be eating. I use to eat a lot of potato chips but cut them out of my life. I do drink a Pepsi a day but I have a feeling I need to eliminate that also. I appreciate all the help.

Irishriley

Irishriley

Jul 3, 2020
T is testosterone, and try is testosterone replacement therapy.
Take no offense sounds like your new to this, as someone stated above diet is first and foremost. This is a great place to sit back and read about training and diet. Given your age definitely get your t levels check, low t definitely makes you feel fatigue and lethargic. You might be a good TRT candidate.
I used to work a 3rd shift it really screws up up body and sleeping, I recommend a eye mask or get some dark curtains to trick your brain it's dark.
I will definitely get my T levels checked. I use to train in my younger years but now I'm up there in age I know its a different ballgame in the way to train. I have been at it for only 2 months.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Sometimes called HRT too, hormone replacement therapy. I've been prescribed shots since I was like 40 by my GP. Well, actually I started with the pump gel, but back then insurance didn't cover it so I went with shots which was way cheaper.

As a 50-something I can say that lifting has really helped my health. You have to do some things differently but you find that out. I also go to pretty great lengths to avoid injuries which take forever to heal anymore.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I am an advocate for anyone that truly needs trt. BUT a lot of people have uninformed expectations about what it will do for you. (even if you are truly coming from a hypo-gonadal state which a lot of people seeking are not).

NOTHING will be as important in your quest back to being in shape as 1)Lifestyle, 2)food intake, 3) training.

Even the most perfect hormone profiles, or more than perfect ;) will not overcome if any of the above are missing.

My advice is if you are overweight, lean to lose that weight. Seek outside nutritional help if you must. Start training. Again, seek outside help if you must. Hormones would be LAST on my list. You likely did not end up where you are now because your hormones were not ideal. It is not a bad idea to consult a dr who specializes in wellness....but be aware, there are many out there willing to write a TRT script and will promise you it will cure all your woes. It is not. But if you are truly suffering symptoms, it can help with those. But symptoms of low-t are very broad and mimic the symptoms of other hormone deficiencies, as well as being similar to what one might feel when they dont live a good lifestyle.

If you are out of shape, your cures will not come in a shot or a pill. That may turn out to be a very small part of the equation, but for true success, you have to recognize that many things about your life brought you to this point and you will have to willing to change those or nothing will work. In general most people fail because they really dont want to change. That is up to you but it is indeed possible. Good luck

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic