Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Need advice on doing cardio and weight lifting

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
Hey guys. Trying to drop 10 percent body fat. It’s been coming off. Finally able to do a little more now being almost 7 months post op on my bicep tendon. I’ve been reading different things about this. Is it bad to do cardio the same day I am lifting? I like to do a 700-800 calorie burn cardio session after lifting. Is this taking away from muscle gains? Thanks guys for the input

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I do cardio the same day as training, but I make sure there is a meal in between. If you are in fact burning 700-800 calories doing cardio immediately after weight training, not only are cutting into your muscle gains, you are likely catabolizing muscle you already have.

What exactly are you doing that burns 700-800 calories? If you are just going by what the treadmill is telling you, it is inaccurate unless you are actually going 7-8 miles. The average person burns 100 calories per mile, whether they walk or run. If you are on incline you can burn a bit more, but not if you are holding the handles. If you hold the handles you negate the incline. If you have a large amount of lean body mass you will also burn more, but the fact you are asking this question, leads me to believe you do not.

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
I do cardio the same day as training, but I make sure there is a meal in between. If you are in fact burning 700-800 calories doing cardio immediately after weight training, not only are cutting into your muscle gains, you are likely catabolizing muscle you already have.

What exactly are you doing that burns 700-800 calories? If you are just going by what the treadmill is telling you, it is inaccurate unless you are actually going 7-8 miles. The average person burns 100 calories per mile, whether they walk or run. If you are on incline you can burn a bit more, but not if you are holding the handles. If you hold the handles you negate the incline. If you have a large amount of lean body mass you will also burn more, but the fact you are asking this question, leads me to believe you do not.
Okay I appreciate that .looks like I’m prob only burning 500 give or take. Yes 15 degree incline about 4-4.5mphs no handle holding 45-60 mins. So how should I go about loosing this fat? Can I use those calories that I burned and substitute it with more protein drink intakes? Would that help? Not sure how to do this when I need a calorie deficit but then if I have too much of one it has negative affects

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Okay I appreciate that .looks like I’m prob only burning 500 give or take. Yes 15 degree incline about 4-4.5mphs no handle holding 45-60 mins. So how should I go about loosing this fat? Can I use those calories that I burned and substitute it with more protein drink intakes? Would that help? Not sure how to do this when I need a calorie deficit but then if I have too much of one it has negative affects
Can you gain muscle while in a calorie deficit? Yes, but the stars need to align and it is a very, very slow process. A better idea is to set one goal, lose body fat until you get to 12%. Continue lifting, as you will burn just as much, if not more calories lifting, do your cardio and eat less energy than you expend. Once you get to 12% BF, you will be primed to gain muscle. Most people experience their greatest muscle gains after a cut.

Keep the protein at 1-1.25 grams per pound of bodyweight and adjust carbohydrates and fats accordingly for both fat loss and muscle gain.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Can you gain muscle while in a calorie deficit? Yes, but the stars need to align and it is a very, very slow process. A better idea is to set one goal, lose body fat until you get to 12%. Continue lifting, as you will burn just as much, if not more calories lifting, do your cardio and eat less energy than you expend. Once you get to 12% BF, you will be primed to gain muscle. Most people experience their greatest muscle gains after a cut.

Keep the protein at 1-1.25 grams per pound of bodyweight and adjust carbohydrates and fats accordingly for both fat loss and muscle gain.
Yeah. The post cut muscle gain is always such a nice side effect of long cuts. I made huge gains post shows (as long as didn’t get stupid with my diet) which was hit or miss though the years. Lol.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic