Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Navy Chief, U Like?...

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
The Big Idea: An FRC reactor contains plasma in its own magnetic field by inducing a toroidal electric current inside a cylindrical plasma. Compared to the direction of an externally applied magnetic field, the axial field inside the reactor is reversed by eddy currents in the plasma. TAE Technologies’ reactor [pictured] uses plasma guns to accelerate two plasmas into each other and then heats them with particle beams.

Reality Check: Although FRC machines are less prone to instabilities than are some other magnetic-confinement methods, no lab has yet demonstrated a working FRC reactor that can create a sufficiently dense and stable plasma.

Projects to Watch: Helion Energy, Princeton Fusion Systems, TAE Technologies

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
The Big Idea: The stellarator’s spiraling ribbon shape produces high-density plasma that’s symmetrical and more stable than a tokamak’s, allowing the reactor to run for long periods of time.

Reality Check: The stellarator’s challenging geometry makes it complicated to build and extremely sensitive to imperfect conditions.

Project to Watch: Wendelstein 7-X at Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
For those of you into investing, there are many good opportunities in some of these companies for long term gains.

For example: First Light Fusion is a smaller startup with big promise in this area. They have shunned some conventional methods and made great strides because of it.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
We've come a long way, but still a long way to go. Took until 2013 was the first time we got more energy out than was put in, which is a pretty major milestone. I didn't know about the neutrons eroding the chamber thing.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
TY, NC...Good info, my bro!...I currently studying now!...From what I can tell so far, I wouldn't be prone to fearing this tech...Even would consider working directly with it...I missing how the heat required to initiate reaction can be contained in an container?...Has that been solved?..

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic