Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

MEAT Protein Absorption

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
Maybe this is an elementary question, but I have been wondering...

How long does it take the protein found in meat to be absorbed? Is it quick absorbing like whey? Slow like casein?

Also, are all the meats equal when it comes to absorption rate? Steak vs. Chicken breasts? Ground turkey vs. Tuna?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I don't have a precise answer for you, but it makes perfect sense that the fattier the meat, the slower the digestion, and hence the slower the absorption/utilization of protein. I'm pretty sure there isn't any meat that completely breaks down as fast as whey isolate, and certainly nothing that is absorbed as fast as hydrolyzed whey or especially BCAAs. I know from my own experience, that if I were to slam 60+ grams of whey isolate at one sitting, I would have "bubble-gut" within the next hour followed by wicked smelly farts and an explosive bowel movement. But I can easily eat a steak with 60+ grams of protein and not have any of those issues. The slower the protein breaks down, the less chance you have of your liver resorting to gluconeogenesis to store the extra protein (which would be glucose at that point).

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Depends. How healthy is your gut? What type of cut? Even chewing more/less would change the answer.

Simply - It doesnt matter.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
There seems to be alot of studies about of much protein the body can process in one eating. Regardles of the source. Yet, it seems ALL the big guys eat double and triple the amounts research says the body can use. I think this will forever be a mystery. Big guys have to have big amounts of calories every day from all macros.

Last edited:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
The studies I've seen basically put the upper limits at 30g an hour. That is for a normal person. Add in resistance training, AAS, and slin/GH, and you're probably doubling that limit. So by my math, 60g/hr for 24 hours, a big ass dude on gear can utilize approximately 1440 of protein per day. So nobody is eating 2-3x the amount that we can handle (use as protein vs gluconeogenesis). Basically, if it's from whole food, you most likely can't have too much protein from a utilization standpoint.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Whey is one of the faster digesting proteins out there if not the fastest and it gets digested at a rate of around 10g/hr. Beef would be slightly less than this but as stated fat content or the co-administration of fat can slow this down.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Whey is one of the faster digesting proteins out there if not the fastest and it gets digested at a rate of around 10g/hr. Beef would be slightly less than this but as stated fat content or the co-administration of fat can slow this down.

The 8-10g/hr is just not accurate. It doesn't account for any number of variables such as weight training, AAS use, muscle mass, enzymes, gut health, etc. I can tell you from my own extensive experimenting that I can do 35g of wpi, which is through the important digestive parts of the GI system in just 90 minutes or less, without any signs of waste or gluconeogenesis. 40+ and I get bubble-gut.

Last edited:
D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
The 8-10g/hr is just not accurate. It doesn't account for any number of variables such as weight training, AAS use, muscle mass, enzymes, gut health, etc. I can tell you from my own extensive experimenting that I can do 35g of wpi, which is through the important digestive parts of the GI system in just 90 minutes or less, without any signs of waste or gluconeogenesis. 40+ and I get bubble-gut.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nu...ces-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-part-2.html

Look down towards the bottom of the article.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Hey docd, respectfully, that ARTICLE (not a study) holds less water than a colander.

You guys who think you know so much about diet and nutrition and worship Lyle McDonald really need to get a grip on reality. This dude makes money by making you think he has the answer. That crap-ass article is so obviously fvcked that he himself even discounts a large portion of it in his comments. You're not thinking for yourself doc. Read the article again, then read the comments if you need to borrow someone else's critical thinking skills.

Laughable that you tried to shrug my response off with a link to straight trash.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic