Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
I always aim for 1.5 grams/lb when bulking an 1gram/lb when cutting

S

Sammy555

Feb 22, 2012
I always aim for 1.5 grams/lb when bulking an 1gram/lb when cutting

That should be the other way round if anything. In a calorie surplus all them carbs are very protein sparing. In a deficit with a lower carb environment more protein essential

E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
^^Recent literature agrees. When in a calorie deficit, a greater amount of protein is beneficial.

However, you still don't need more than a gram/pound bw if you're natty, unless you really just like having higher BUN levels. -EK

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For natural strength athletes, numerous studies have shown that more than .83 g/pound body weight- that's total body weight, not LBM- does not provide any better results. Some studies actually show that quite a bit less produces results that are on pace with over a gram/pound bw. -EK

I've seen studies that suggest higher for natural strength athletes. Nothing as high as 2gr/lb of bodyweight but more like 1.25gr/lb of bodyweight.

I'll stick to what I've been doing for years since it works for me and that's not to take in .83gr/lbs of bodyweight.

Last edited:
E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
I wouldn't disagree with it working for you, but how do you know that an amount at .83g/pound would work as well? Are you getting monthly urine tests done to evaluate urea or BUN levels and determine how much you're just passing? What is the likelihood that multiple studies all picked the few random people who only needed that amount if it is, in reality, not the threshold of what can be utilized by naturals? I have yet to figure out how the idea of more than a gram per pound of bw in protein became so prevalent in bodybuilding, when the bulk of the actual clinical evidence simply does not back that up. -EK

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
How did someone arrive at a mystical and magical 0.83g/lb bodyweight? Were the studies/trials specifically using BB'ers and/or strength athletes as the test subjects?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic