Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Massage therapy and muscle repair

paarke

paarke

Sep 18, 2010
Hey Just curious on what your take is on getting deep tissue massages on an area you have just worked out??

I worked arms the other night and my Tri's were absolutely trashed, struggle getting arms over me head sore. Got a massage the next day which involved my arms and they were very sore, but felt good in a painful sort of way.ha

Does massage help the muscle repair by getting more blood flow, or is it just annoying the s*&t out of them while they're trying to heal??

S

sniper33

Sep 19, 2010
I cant really say that massage helps repair the muscle because it doesnt feel that way to me. My experience is that after i use my roller which is much the same as deep tissue massage that if the muscle is experiencing DOMS then it exaggerates those symptoms. Rather than repair, it further damages the tissue which is the whole point of working out.

My thinking is that theres three stages the muscle goes through.

Depending on when the massage is done, the muscle can be "fresh" close to post workout, "stiff" during DOMS, or "recovered" 24 hours + after a workout.

During the "fresh" period, while the damage has been done, the muscle is still supple. If massage is done during this period, it seems to further breakdown the muscle, bring forward and increase DOMS symptoms.

If the massage is done while DOMS is occurring, then it seems to agitate the muscle and disrupt the healing. Both of which could be beneficial to muscle anabolism. But because the muscle seems to be much more rigid during this time i tend to "tweak" muscles causing tender spots especially in the lower back.

The "recovered" stage seems pretty good as well for doing some massage. But might be to late to aid in muscle healing or growth and more likely aids in stretching and softening the muscle/fascia.

I either do some rolling in the first 12hours after a workout, or leave it until after the DOMS has mostly gone away.

upstatetank

upstatetank

Dec 7, 2012
I had deep tissue work done today (first ever by another male) and HOLY HELL it was painful. I've had them done before by females, but they've never produced anywheres near the pressure or dug as deep as this therapist did. It brought me to near tears on certain parts, but I huffed my way through it. Worked on calves, hams and back. My calves were especially messed up but they smoothed out nicely. I received a series of massages for xmas and I'm going again in 3 weeks.

Bump for more deep tissue work participants :)

E

EDED

Oct 26, 2011
i would like a man to do it for me but cant seem to find sports oriented one, too many hippies. found a powerlifter lady and tried her today it was beneficial.

i have knots around my back and all over.

MOST likely we ALL have knots and scar tissues because not all of us have perfect forms and/or educated properly from the start. i am relearning how to do everything after many years of stupid programs and forms. FUCK partials, do NOT ever do those.

do NOT ever do synthol unless before the prep, that also disrupts your proper muscle movment and you will be in trouble afterwards. unless you are a big fucking moster i dont recommend it.

I would say find a really good MT and you will be very happy. and let her/him check each body part as you visit, 30 min for all back, 30 min for all chest and throw arms in there. good ones will find knots and break it up for you. i dont know if DOM from microtear due to workign out is going to be worsened or recovery impaired from massage. i think massage will help grow and repair better. instead of knotting up improperly. remember the inflammation will go down quicker with massage and endorphin/dopamine/GH releas all that have been documented from massage. i see it as defrag on computers sorta. put things in order. plus if there are obstructions you will have poor blood flow and range of motion all that will hinder growth.

i am learning there are so many things need to be done other than lifting an object off the ground and repeat. this sport be it hobby or lifestyle is not easy and not cheap...sucks lol.

ive also enjoyed Cupping, Graston, and A.R.T but chiro who perform graston and art dont do it too long. although they say you arent supposed to do it that long but my scar tissues are pretty severe and wish they would do it for more than 5 min.

i really suggest going to see a sports related chiro for him to see you stand, move, do squats and general observations. we all need retune and re education. I forgot how many muscles are covering up the shoulders but if one goes off mode due to injury or improper technique, the others will compensate, bad news later on. i bet alot of us walk like ducks, feet going outward, its due to IT band from hip to ankle, weak VMO, poor glute activation etc.

once you see a pt, or chiro next time you are in the gym you will be able to see so many people walking improperly or just all fucked up looking like gorillas walking around. rarely you will see posterior chain being worked properly. given time they wil have knee/shoulder surgery.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
i would like a man to do it for me but cant seem to find sports oriented one, too many hippies. found a powerlifter lady and tried her today it was beneficial.

i have knots around my back and all over.

MOST likely we ALL have knots and scar tissues because not all of us have perfect forms and/or educated properly from the start. i am relearning how to do everything after many years of stupid programs and forms. FUCK partials, do NOT ever do those.

do NOT ever do synthol unless before the prep, that also disrupts your proper muscle movment and you will be in trouble afterwards. unless you are a big fucking moster i dont recommend it.

I would say find a really good MT and you will be very happy. and let her/him check each body part as you visit, 30 min for all back, 30 min for all chest and throw arms in there. good ones will find knots and break it up for you. i dont know if DOM from microtear due to workign out is going to be worsened or recovery impaired from massage. i think massage will help grow and repair better. instead of knotting up improperly. remember the inflammation will go down quicker with massage and endorphin/dopamine/GH releas all that have been documented from massage. i see it as defrag on computers sorta. put things in order. plus if there are obstructions you will have poor blood flow and range of motion all that will hinder growth.

i am learning there are so many things need to be done other than lifting an object off the ground and repeat. this sport be it hobby or lifestyle is not easy and not cheap...sucks lol.

ive also enjoyed Cupping, Graston, and A.R.T but chiro who perform graston and art dont do it too long. although they say you arent supposed to do it that long but my scar tissues are pretty severe and wish they would do it for more than 5 min.

i really suggest going to see a sports related chiro for him to see you stand, move, do squats and general observations. we all need retune and re education. I forgot how many muscles are covering up the shoulders but if one goes off mode due to injury or improper technique, the others will compensate, bad news later on. i bet alot of us walk like ducks, feet going outward, its due to IT band from hip to ankle, weak VMO, poor glute activation etc.

once you see a pt, or chiro next time you are in the gym you will be able to see so many people walking improperly or just all fucked up looking like gorillas walking around. rarely you will see posterior chain being worked properly. given time they wil have knee/shoulder surgery.

I've followed a similar thing as you have. I knot up terribly. Graston has helped tremendously, so has ART. But I am trying something new at home. I got a car buffer for my birthday :D A black and decker wp900.

Really any buffer will do though... 6 inches is big enough (thats what she said)

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rammer76

Nov 8, 2012
Deep Tissue Massage certainly help the recovery of muscle tissue work from strength training! First phase is relaxing the muscle fibers, secondly more blood flow to reach the muscle area in order to 'heal' the area. The third effect is breaking up scare tissue or adhesions (rust type stuff in the muscle area) this is very important!! The reason you felt 'more sore' after the massage is because your body is 'new' to this type of work/therapy. After such massage/workout session it's important to let the muscles rest allowing the therapy of the massage to continue.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Defenetly helps i can vouch for that.used to get deep tissue massage from a guy we used to call fingers.the next day I made it my rest day as I was sore, day after felt awesome.the biggest thing he told me about athletes especially bb is as you get bigger you loose flexibility and age is a factor also.you find that the more flexibility you have the less prone to injury you are.

B

BeauBody38

Jan 8, 2015
I would consider taking a rest for a while with your triceps. This will allow muscle repair.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic