Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Lower lumbar issues

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I'll try to keep this short but here's my problem in a nutshell.

My spine: Scoliosis at T6, C1 and C2 push forward almost 2.5 inches, L4/L5 have had numerous issues since high school and I completely subluxated my sacrum and was bedridden for about a week last October.

So my latest issue which as much as I know about the spine, I do not know about this area. I believe the term is transverse processes? Basically the two little knobs right near (for me just above) my waistline.

So my right "knob" we'll call it absolutely hurts to the touch. Foam rolled it last night (which I'd rather pour battery acid down my urethra) before I lifted and had a good squat session without any real pain. It basically only hurts to the touch....just feels tender when I'm walking around or sitting at my office desk during the day.

In addition, I also have had some relatively aggressive back pumps but I'm not on any orals at the moment but feels like a dbol back pump.

I have been through numerous chiropractors but not seeing one currently, I stretch regularly, I utilize my inversion table between 70-90 degrees twice/day for 3-5 minutes but this little thing is a newer ailment that I'm not familiar with.

For those out there familiar with this, what are your thoughts? (in plain English please).

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I feel ur pain bro, it is debilitating. My only fix was surgery (L4-L5). I hope u don't have to go down that road. Did u have a recent MRI?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Man I'm sorry to hear this up.

I am with 5.0. The only relief I was able to get from the disc issue was surgery.

Hey uphill, do you know who Brian Carrol is ? If you do, I'll explain why I asked.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I feel ur pain bro, it is debilitating. My only fix was surgery (L4-L5). I hope u don't have to go down that road. Did u have a recent MRI?

Had about 6 or 7 since 2003...those were for the L4/L5, scoliosis and my neck. They've (l4/l5) bulged before but just swollen now....the inversion table has assisted providing the nutrients back into my spine to open the disks up (so to speak).

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Man I'm sorry to hear this up.

I am with 5.0. The only relief I was able to get from the disc issue was surgery.

Hey uphill, do you know who Brian Carrol is ? If you do, I'll explain why I asked.

I don't want surgery and I don't think it's needed since I can still get 450 off my back. No, I don't know who he is.....but I'm listening.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I don't want surgery and I don't think it's needed since I can still get 450 off my back. No, I don't know who he is.....but I'm listening.

Ok, this guy is a multi ply power lifter and has really bad back issues similar to yours. He has bone fractures all over, herniated discs. Anyway, to the point.

He works with the Dr. name Stuart McGill. he is a college professor and really knowledgeable about the back. Brian was going to have surgery, but decided to go see Dr McGill and he was able to get Brian back into the gym and squatting close to maximal again.

He worked on his posture, how he walks, how he lifts the weight, etc.

It might be worth a shot for you to contact Brian or try to contact the Dr, and see if they can help you out.

When my back was screaming at me, I sent Donnie Thompson a couple messages on Facebook to ask for help.

That's another guy for you to look at. He is really smart when it comes to injury prevention and repairing injuries.

He set the multi ply squat record with THREE herniated discs!

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ok, this guy is a multi ply power lifter and has really bad back issues similar to yours. He has bone fractures all over, herniated discs. Anyway, to the point.

He works with the Dr. name Stuart McGill. he is a college professor and really knowledgeable about the back. Brian was going to have surgery, but decided to go see Dr McGill and he was able to get Brian back into the gym and squatting close to maximal again.

He worked on his posture, how he walks, how he lifts the weight, etc.

It might be worth a shot for you to contact Brian or try to contact the Dr, and see if they can help you out.

When my back was screaming at me, I sent Donnie Thompson a couple messages on Facebook to ask for help.

That's another guy for you to look at. He is really smart when it comes to injury prevention and repairing injuries.

He set the multi ply squat record with THREE herniated discs!

thanks for the info dude.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Holy fuk, 450 with bad back! I hope u get more relief with inversion table and if u speak with either of the guys turbo recommended pls post up what advice they have to offer, I would really like to hear it. Wish u the best with getn thru this

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Definitely sound like a PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) syndrome with according problems.

Symptoms:
* Back esp low back always stiff after squats/deads
* Glutes rarely or never sore
* glutes visually are somewhat "tucked under"
* reoccurring low back herniations
* SIJ Problems and sacral subluxations
* inability or difficulty breathing diaphragmatically
* inability to make the vacuum pose (transversus abdominus activation)
* Chronic tight hamstrings and piriformis
* often a VMO that is more developed than lateral quad
* chest breathing and forward head posture, chronic neck tightness
* Tightness in pec minor and easy get thoracic outlet syndrome

Probably more too...

The pain in your low back could be many things, however I believe these are the two junctions that you are compensating the lacking hip mobility with (COMMON)

The back pumps are likely from the excessive laxity in your low back, and if you try to utilize them and have recently worked on hip mobility, they'll flare up for sure.

I know well about Brian Carroll and I also know what he did to fix his back. It was RESTORING proper hip movement, that's it! In addition to technical work in lifts.

regarding the scoliosis I'm not sure.

If you can post up a pic of your posture, where hip, upper thigh and back is visible from the side, I may be able to give you a more certain advice.

Common problem with PPT is also forward head posture, to make up for the poor torso alignment. This often contributes to damage in high thoracic and cervical area.

Now, just like Brian Carroll, these injuries will keep returning if you don't fix (what I'm assuming is) your poor movement strategy.

Last edited:
ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I'll try to keep this short but here's my problem in a nutshell.

My spine: Scoliosis at T6, C1 and C2 push forward almost 2.5 inches, L4/L5 have had numerous issues since high school and I completely subluxated my sacrum and was bedridden for about a week last October.

So my latest issue which as much as I know about the spine, I do not know about this area. I believe the term is transverse processes? Basically the two little knobs right near (for me just above) my waistline.

So my right "knob" we'll call it absolutely hurts to the touch. Foam rolled it last night (which I'd rather pour battery acid down my urethra) before I lifted and had a good squat session without any real pain. It basically only hurts to the touch....just feels tender when I'm walking around or sitting at my office desk during the day.

In addition, I also have had some relatively aggressive back pumps but I'm not on any orals at the moment but feels like a dbol back pump.

I have been through numerous chiropractors but not seeing one currently, I stretch regularly, I utilize my inversion table between 70-90 degrees twice/day for 3-5 minutes but this little thing is a newer ailment that I'm not familiar with.

For those out there familiar with this, what are your thoughts? (in plain English please).

Been there done that - 30 years weights , 40 years jujutsu , 10 years army broke neck , broke spine , surgery . Personally I think chiropractors suck and waste of money. Stretching has so little to go with most back issues . Your back is weak it can't hold it's place. . Streghth is what us missing , not cracking not stretching . I laughed in the idiot chiros face way back when they asked me as having done ma all my life I can go splits . The muscles along your spine need to have power like your quads or chest etc. if you lift weights then your erectors need to be big and strong . Hypers, stiff deads , cable wood chops, rotary hip , reverse hypers . Should be part of your regular routine. However if your injury is acute then you need to get to a point. I had my lower spine reconstructed in 95. Part of the rehab at New England baptist I'm Boston - considered best back hospital pretty much on earth . I've modified their post rehab routine - they wanted every patient to lift 300% of body weight with lower back . 90 degree hypers 3 sets was the warm up. Holding the top contraction for 10 seconds . 25 reps. Anyway years later my after lat routine is
Hypers 2 sets 25
Stiff deads 2 sets 15
Nautilus type lower back 2 of 15 ( 300 lbs)
For variety reverse hyper bench 100 lbs
Standing hip machine hits sacrum area .

The sports surgeons who incidently work on pro sports teams recommend never to wear. Belt - since 1995 I've never owned a belt . I do minimal stretching , I squat deadlift heavy without limits at age 50 do bent over rows with over 300 pounds for reps - no pain or tightness ever- when I was 20 I could not do! I still do my classes in jujutsu, aikijutsu etc- where I take turns getting violently thrown on my back = no problems . Of course I also went to School for conditioning and rehab so I modify many exercise to train my body out of injury. In most cases the very move that initially hurts is the move that will heal . You just begin at time when your pain is subsided at rest then start light on exercise . HOWEVER! You need to know the precise diagnosis and be supervised by a Pt with athletic exoerience. Athletes don't need 2 pound or 5 pound workouts . Yes it will hurt but do it right and you can bring yourself back . I tore my hip labriium unable to walk few months, no surgery used exercise to bring myself back again to training like a mad man . Age is not excuse . Only your mind limits your potential . Find the rehab place that rehabs the professional hockey or football team in your area. I got the surgery office and docs for my spine that did Larry bird way back, the did jean Ratelle of bruins and rangers way back before he played hockey. Do your own research never believe some ignoramus - you find ! It's your body

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic