Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Low Na (sodium) going on 3 months X 3 blood tests.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I look this up to find this:
Should I eat more salt if my sodium is low?

Our bodies need a small amount of salt for a variety of functions, such as the working of nerves and muscles. However, there is enough sodium present in all foods that a lack of sodium does not generally cause any problems in these areas. It is rarely necessary to add extra salt to food.Apr 4, 2018

I search foods naturally high in sodium:
  • Regular canned vegetables and vegetable juices.
  • Olives, pickles, sauerkraut and other pickled vegetables.
  • Vegetables made with ham, bacon or salted pork.
  • Packaged mixes, such as scalloped or au gratin potatoes, frozen hash browns and Tater Tots.
  • Commercially prepared pasta and tomato sauces and salsa.
SAD: Standard American Diet.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Chronic low sodium is usually medication related or over hydration. ARBS and diuretics used to manage hypertension are the usual suspects.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
Chronic low sodium is usually medication related or over hydration. ARBS and diuretics used to manage hypertension are the usual suspects.
I do not take any of the listed meds. I am in Keto most of the time, but my BP was 160/91 the other morning. Next morning no salt load 123/70.

One extreme or the other.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
Keto makes anyone look flat I, so I salt load with a 5mg Cialas every morning.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I usually salt my meals, unless I plan on having a fast food or high processed meal that day. I like slamming 16-24oz of water first thing in the morning (with crystal light) and 3-4 twist on my pink salt shaker (~1g). It all depends on each person. If you have chronic high BP, then i'd be cautious, but trial and error will always be involved dependent on your exact situation. For healthy people with "clean" diets and active, who sweat a lot, water and electrolytes should be added....again person dependent.

Lo-Salt is also handy, as it is a mix of sodium and potassium.

No need to break the bank either, i'd use just regular table salt if I didn't have this pink salt laying around for a few years, lol.

...and like Mike mentioned above, a lot of this is also dependent on medications people need to take.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I usually salt my meals, unless I plan on having a fast food or high processed meal that day. I like slamming 16-24oz of water first thing in the morning (with crystal light) and 3-4 twist on my pink salt shaker (~1g). It all depends on each person. If you have chronic high BP, then i'd be cautious, but trial and error will always be involved dependent on your exact situation. For healthy people with "clean" diets and active, who sweat a lot, water and electrolytes should be added....again person dependent.

Lo-Salt is also handy, as it is a mix of sodium and potassium.

No need to break the bank either, i'd use just regular table salt if I didn't have this pink salt laying around for a few years, lol.

...and like Mike mentioned above, a lot of this is also dependent on medications people need to take.
I take 20mg statin EOD, 5mg Cialas ED and spread my salt out over the day. I DO NOT have high BP. I GET high BP from salt loading.

NOT the meds I take!

I am going to add some carbs to see if I can get a little 'wetter' to hold more water in order to not deplete (so fast?)

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I get frustrated here and don't post or anywhere else because it seems like no reads what I write.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I get frustrated here and don't post or anywhere else because it seems like no reads what I write.
You may want to read what we wrote again. I read your post.

Seriously, I don't understand what your question is, did you miss the trial and error part in my post, or did you not read it?

If you already get high BP from adding salt, then what is your question? Seems you have your answer. The guidelines you listed above in the original post are very basic information for those who are sedentary and do not exercise, and who also follow no strict eating measures for health (Standard American Diet with high processed foods). If you are active, sweat a lot, get cramps, and show low sodium levels on labs, then you may be able to add some in.....through trial and error dependent on your BP. There is not going to be a 1-size fits all answer for hydration and electrolyte balance.

Keto will make you look flat (glycogen depletion and water loss), and you will also lose electrolytes, especially if you are active and train/work in the heat. Again, trial and error here. If you are expecting to look as full as you do with carbs in the diet, then you are going to be disappointed, it comes with the territory of the diet. Some dieters will add salt to help counter this, but again, use trial and error. I'd base adding it in dependent on how it effects your BP, but the dosage and amount of added salt will factor in as well. Some may be fine, but too much may effect your BP.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
When you state salt load, how much are you taking for the load?
How many times a day are you eating on Keto? Are you eating any of those foods you list to get salt from your food? How long was your bp up that high?

We are all different on how our bodies react or will react and if we are on certain diets or habits one's body will react to a change diffeerently than if it is part of the daily rutine. using me only as an example, my bp normally is in the range of 140/70 or 80. When I get serious on off season or prep my coach adds 1/8 tsp pink salt each meal. Does not affect my bp at all. again that's me and an example only.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic