jacobss
What's New?

Knee discomfort when pulling sumo

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Seif_knee%20anatomy01.jpg

I normally pull conventional but, unfortunately my 10 yr old adidas oly shoes had a blow out last week and I need to get them to the shoe repair doc stat. Since this is an active recovery week for me, I broke out the old chucks and decided to go sumo. First set I feel some discomfort in the inner meniscus area. Not painful, just discomfort. Did another set and thought possibly I have some cartilage wear that is only felt while performing a sumo lift. I abandoned the stance and went to a wider conventional stance, this was much better. The only thing I can say is I need to get my shoes fixed asap. No pain or discomfort this morning, so all is good. I was just amazed by the affects of changing shoes and modifying the stance would be.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Big difference for sure.

I have issues with my meniscus and MCL, just dulling pain and the occasional sharpness when getting out of bed in the morning within 48 hours or a pull or squat session. When I pull conventional, my toes are pointed at near 45 degrees which puts some decent pressure when pushing them outward. Sometimes I go barefoot too for sumo, it's better personally.

10 year old shoes? Might be time to kick the old betsy's to the curb and invest in some adipowers.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Might be time to kick the old betsy's to the curb and invest in some adipowers.

Nope, they are on the way to the surgeon as we speak. 35 bucks and they will be new again. Some things cannot be replaced.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Shultz try foam rolling the shit out of your v. Lateralus. All the way from the knee to the hip. IT Band tightness will form or be aggravated as hell when pulling sumo. See if that helps. You can play with toe angle to lessen it as well.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Nope, they are on the way to the surgeon as we speak. 35 bucks and they will be new again. Some things cannot be replaced.

I still use the same skates that I got in 1997....I don't blame you. I've replaced my blades 4 times.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Shultz try foam rolling the shit out of your v. Lateralus. All the way from the knee to the hip. IT Band tightness will form or be aggravated as hell when pulling sumo. See if that helps. You can play with toe angle to lessen it as well.

Thanks for the info, I haven't pulled sumo in years, so I am sure my body is going through shock with the change, things getting stressed that aren't used to it. Good advice POB. I was mainly trying to activate more leg, as I don't have a rack in the garage to squat out of. My legs are shit today though, 2 hockey games sunday, then pulls and stiff leg deads last night.

UHC, im with you on the skates. Havent had mine that long but, I am due for a new pair of blades and time for some new eyelets, again.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
UHC, im with you on the skates. Havent had mine that long but, I am due for a new pair of blades and time for some new eyelets, again.

I still get skin ripping blisters when it's been a few months but I can't seem to shake them.

Everyone tells me that the new skates are light years ahead of mine (I have the original CCM kevlar elites) but I know what I like and I've never had a skate duplicate those. There's no cloth, only the black rubber cement for toes and on the sides lol.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I have a pair of bauer x60's, light, comfy and bullet proof. I don't buy new skates though, the break in period sucks. I go used and let someone else do the work.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This isn't a figure skating board ya kweers. STFU.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I have a pair of bauer x60's, light, comfy and bullet proof. I don't buy new skates though, the break in period sucks. I go used and let someone else do the work.

13EE/EEE size for me, my feet are built like no other.

This isn't a figure skating board ya kweers. STFU.

I'd love to see you hop on a pair of skates with full gear, I won't even need any equipment and I'll guarantee you'll be bruised head to toe.....just skates and gloves for me....and maybe a jockstrap. Don't tempt me, I'm getting a chubby just thinking about it.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Those aren't feet, they are snow shoes

ya, good for squatting though! always one of the fastest skaters, decent long distance runner back in the day but a horrible sprinter....hockey legs got in the way too much.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic