Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Kids & Investing In New Equipment

Amma

Amma

TID StrongWoman
Jul 18, 2011
My latest article-ish. I do have one coming on Home Grown Protein (basically raising grass fed steer). No date on when that one is coming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kids and Investment in Equipment

Yesterday, Bulky Jr. was out lifting. I am used to him lifting. However, I am always amazed with how old he is getting, how quickly time flies and to see him doing something he hasn’t before.

I was the unwelcome guest during “guy time” and it was obvious with the snickers and eye rolls. I was compelled to stay just to look over form and details. At one point I lost my cool and reminded Bulky Jr. who I am (he doesn’t care) and that I know a thing or two about lifting even though I am not a guy. Actually that’s a pretty familiar reaction from guys so maybe I had just lost patience with that perception.

Videos in the past have shown Bulky Jr. moves his right heel up during the deadlift. It looks more like he’s pulling from the balls of his feet and loses some drive. He was pulling sumo yesterday and with some yelling it was resolved.

Then the boys moved on to Box Squats with the Yoke Bar w/ Handles. I was sort of shocked they were going down this road and I could feel crazy mom mode kick in. It was time for me to leave. Before I left, I had to snap a picture becuause it was another lifting milestone and was just too cute.

I came inside and was looking at the picture and some things struck me. Here is an 11-year-old kid, lifting with some of the best equipment out there. It doesn’t mean a thing to him yet, there are men all over the country that would die to have access to what he does. It’s just normal in his world and he doesn’t know any better.

We have been lifting for years with substandard equipment, yet were able to make incredible gains. Over the last year, we decided to upgrade everything and get what we needed to properly train. Of course there is always a wish list, monolift and some other odds and ends, but we have what we need to have in order to get the job done.

The point that drove us over the edge to spend the money now on equipment, was the kids. The expectation is that they will continue to train for whatever sport they choose. In order to facilitate their development, properly training is critical. We bought the equipment with the kids and their futures in mind. Let me clarify, I am not pushing living and breathing any sport in particular. They will do what they choose, but I am confident that lifting will be at the core of whatever path they decide to go down.

I am sure the cost per use is pretty small just with mine and The Big Guy’s training. Now, factor in the use the kids and their friends will get from the equipment. This equipment is being used daily by myself and The Big Guy. Factor in two kids, and it really is used a lot.

The point I am trying to make is that on the surface the cost of equipment is high. This can be interpreted as being selfish for wanting to spend so much money on equipment. I always thought that way. It was an excess I didn’t think we needed to engage in.

If you step back and look at the big picture, especially if you are a life-long lifter, these purchases are reasonable and actually pretty affordable when calculated over long term use. Through the high school years there will be LOTS of kids over here training alongside us. They don’t know it yet, but they will be some of the lucky few to have access to a strength playground.

****Not sure how to put the picture in here*****

He ended at 135. Not bad for his first time and weighing under 120.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
not trying to call you a bad parent or anything... but IMO 11 is too young to be doing heavy lifting...

you may want bulky jr to wait until he is about 16 to really hit the weights...

Amma

Amma

TID StrongWoman
Jul 18, 2011
not trying to call you a bad parent or anything... but IMO 11 is too young to be doing heavy lifting...

you may want bulky jr to wait until he is about 16 to really hit the weights...

He doesn't do heavy lifting. The closest he is allowed to come to a max is about 75% based purely on perceived exertion levels on our part. The kids training involved high reps, lighter weight, and lots of conditioning. This is the time they are both learning technique and it's importance which we both learned the hard way. One time we made an exception for a max DL because he kept asking.

We are very familiar with the research with kids and lifting. When done properly there are many benefits and minimal risks. The danger parents get into is not knowing what is appropriate. Which is why in the article I talked about once he's in HS with his friends training. We're working our way there slowly and he will be the one who knows technique, programming and how to lift responsibly. The goal is to minimize injury that most of us learned the hard way.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
He doesn't do heavy lifting. The closest he is allowed to come to a max is about 75% based purely on perceived exertion levels on our part. The kids training involved high reps, lighter weight, and lots of conditioning. This is the time they are both learning technique and it's importance which we both learned the hard way. One time we made an exception for a max DL because he kept asking.

We are very familiar with the research with kids and lifting. When done properly there are many benefits and minimal risks. The danger parents get into is not knowing what is appropriate. Which is why in the article I talked about once he's in HS with his friends training. We're working our way there slowly and he will be the one who knows technique, programming and how to lift responsibly. The goal is to minimize injury that most of us learned the hard way.

Lifting responsibly is the key at any age...

Thanks for the article amma... now show us your rack!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Great write up Amma... A few of the powerlifters in my gym bring their sons and one brings his daughter... The older kids actually get to lift weights while the younger ones watch and listen and occasionally do a couple reps with an empty bar to learn good form. I am sort of jealous to be quite honest. I have a daughter who'll be 4 in September and she's built like a tank. When we took her to her 2 year old physical the doctor showed us that she was the exact average height of a 3 year old. Now that she's almost 4 she is wearing clothes for a 5 1/2 or 6 year old!! I can't wait for the day she is old enough to come with me, but for now I just make sure she has lots of fun running around and staying active.

So let me ask you Amma, how do you introduce weightlifting to a kid? I kinda envision her in the olympics flawlessly performing a snatch, but where do I start?

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
my 6yo son looks like something michaelangelo chiseled outta stone. I catch him doing pushups, situps, and cartwheels in his room all the time counting then switching, rest, repeat. If i could harness one ounce of his energy id never have to take a stimulant again.

theres a tv show that he watched all the time when we lived in Italy called "Lazy Town" google it or youtube it. it was awesome for promoting fitness with the little ones. might be a good start.

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
Personally if I could do it all over again I wouldn't wait till I was 15 or 16. I got the same info from the family doctor that you should wait until then. Unfortunately for me by the time I was 16 I had zero interest in anything even remotely related to exercise, except playing golf. The only times I walked the course was during golf practice and when I couldn't afford a cart. I would do your best to keep his interest, because I lost mine by the time the family doctor said I was ready.

Slic.

ronmetrx

ronmetrx

Oct 24, 2011
I have used an Ironmaster Smith Machine since 1998 and have saved thousands in gym dues trained at 3 ogyms...meh some are just places to meet chicks. Been married for 18 years, so left those gyms b/c I could not concentrate with the ladies walking around in butt-floss! ;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic