Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Is there really any benefit to ANY supplements — not just vitamins and minerals?

This article is a mixed bag of things, and I’m not sharing it because I agree or disagree with all of its content. I do agree with some (at my present level of knowledge and user experience) and disagree with some.

The article is just one random picked from many others like it. And in my reading I’ve noticed reference to many of the same studies / research with regard to citations.

Half of all American adults—including 70 percent of those age 65 and older—take a multivitamin or another vitamin or mineral supplement regularly. The total price tag exceeds $12 billion per year—money that Johns Hopkins nutrition experts say might be better spent on nutrient-packed foods like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.

In an editorial in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine titled “Enough Is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements,” Johns Hopkins researchers reviewed evidence about supplements, including three very recent studies:
* An analysis of research involving 450,000 people, which found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for heart disease or cancer.
* A study that tracked the mental functioning and multivitamin use of 5,947 men for 12 years found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for mental declines such as memory loss or slowed-down thinking.

* A study of 1,708 heart attack survivors who took a high-dose multivitamin or placebo for up to 55 months. Rates of later heart attacks, heart surgeries and deaths were similar in the two groups.

The Vitamin Verdict:
The researchers concluded that multivitamins don’t reduce the risk for heart disease, cancer, cognitive decline (such as memory loss and slowed-down thinking) or an early death. They also noted that in prior studies, vitamin E and beta-carotene supplements appear to be harmful, especially at high doses.
“Pills are not a shortcut to better health and the prevention of chronic diseases,” says Larry Appel, M.D., director of the Johns Hopkins Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research. “Other nutrition recommendations have much stronger evidence of benefits—eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and reducing the amount of saturated fat, trans fat, sodium and sugar you eat.”

The exception is supplemental folic acid for women of child-bearing potential, Appel says. “Folic acid prevents neural tube defects in babies when women take it before and during early pregnancy. That’s why multivitamins are recommended for young women.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all women of reproductive age get 400 micrograms of folic acid daily. The amount of iron in a multivitamin may also be beneficial for women of child-bearing potential, Appel adds.
“I don’t recommend other supplements,” Appel says. “If you follow a healthy diet, you can get all of the vitamins and minerals you need from food.”

Jayne Scott

Jayne Scott

TID Lady Member
Feb 7, 2022
Is there really any benefit to ANY supplements — not just vitamins and minerals?

This article is a mixed bag of things, and I’m not sharing it because I agree or disagree with all of its content. I do agree with some (at my present level of knowledge and user experience) and disagree with some.

The article is just one random picked from many others like it. And in my reading I’ve noticed reference to many of the same studies / research with regard to citations.

Half of all American adults—including 70 percent of those age 65 and older—take a multivitamin or another vitamin or mineral supplement regularly. The total price tag exceeds $12 billion per year—money that Johns Hopkins nutrition experts say might be better spent on nutrient-packed foods like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.

In an editorial in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine titled “Enough Is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements,” Johns Hopkins researchers reviewed evidence about supplements, including three very recent studies:
* An analysis of research involving 450,000 people, which found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for heart disease or cancer.
* A study that tracked the mental functioning and multivitamin use of 5,947 men for 12 years found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for mental declines such as memory loss or slowed-down thinking.

* A study of 1,708 heart attack survivors who took a high-dose multivitamin or placebo for up to 55 months. Rates of later heart attacks, heart surgeries and deaths were similar in the two groups.

The Vitamin Verdict:
The researchers concluded that multivitamins don’t reduce the risk for heart disease, cancer, cognitive decline (such as memory loss and slowed-down thinking) or an early death. They also noted that in prior studies, vitamin E and beta-carotene supplements appear to be harmful, especially at high doses.
“Pills are not a shortcut to better health and the prevention of chronic diseases,” says Larry Appel, M.D., director of the Johns Hopkins Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research. “Other nutrition recommendations have much stronger evidence of benefits—eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and reducing the amount of saturated fat, trans fat, sodium and sugar you eat.”

The exception is supplemental folic acid for women of child-bearing potential, Appel says. “Folic acid prevents neural tube defects in babies when women take it before and during early pregnancy. That’s why multivitamins are recommended for young women.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all women of reproductive age get 400 micrograms of folic acid daily. The amount of iron in a multivitamin may also be beneficial for women of child-bearing potential, Appel adds.
“I don’t recommend other supplements,” Appel says. “If you follow a healthy diet, you can get all of the vitamins and minerals you need from food.”
Multivitamins are necessary as we grow older since the body doesn't generate or derive sufficient vitamins from food source as it could when we're younger. Also, old age comes with increasing muscle loss and reduced bone density which further makes certain supplementation an essential commodity depending on what your life and training objectives may be.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Multivitamins are necessary as we grow older since the body doesn't generate or derive sufficient vitamins from food source as it could when we're younger. Also, old age comes with increasing muscle loss and reduced bone density which further makes certain supplementation an essential commodity depending on what your life and training objectives may be.

I’m not a fan of supplements so I’ll start by saying that I’m not even trying to be neutral here, lol.

But consider for a second what you just proposed. My aging body will have trouble getting what I need from eating whole food, but that same exact digestive tract will be able to get what I need from a pill that was made a year ago in a laboratory?

I feel like I should’ve have to say this out loud but whole food is still and will always be the best way to get everything your body needs, nutritionally. Strapped for time, supplies, money, etc, then supplements can supplement, but otherwise, whole food is king.

Muscle loss and bone density loss happen with age regardless of what overpriced powder you take. What really slows it down is resistance training and a diet high in protein.

To each their own, but we all need to step back and consider the logic of what the industry has been pushing for decades.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010

Substantial evidence for this common belief is extremely scant.
There is in fact some evidence to the contrary — that vitamin supplementation may in fact harm health, and decrease lifespan.

A couple quick grab articles as reference to this, citing some study:

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I will say that a multivitamin is relatively inexpensive, so if it's useless you haven't lost much. More important is whether a multi can have negative effects, which I don't see from the article.

I've always wondered how much of my multi is getting metabolized, as it's not uncommon for my urine color to be more colored about 90-120 minutes after having taken the multi. How much of those vitamins and minerals did I just piss down the drain (literally).

It was even worse with the BB multi-paks I used to take (i.e., Beverly or Animal). My urine looked like nuclear waste, and I suspect a good bit of that was not being used by my body. Maybe one solution is to break the multi in half, and take each half with food, one with meal #1 and one with meal #2

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I remember reading years ago a guy had his septic pump redone and they found thousands of solid centrum vitamin pills he had been taking for 40 years.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I will say that a multivitamin is relatively inexpensive, so if it's useless you haven't lost much. More important is whether a multi can have negative effects, which I don't see from the article.

I've always wondered how much of my multi is getting metabolized, as it's not uncommon for my urine color to be more colored about 90-120 minutes after having taken the multi. How much of those vitamins and minerals did I just piss down the drain (literally).

It was even worse with the BB multi-paks I used to take (i.e., Beverly or Animal). My urine looked like nuclear waste, and I suspect a good bit of that was not being used by my body. Maybe one solution is to break the multi in half, and take each half with food, one with meal #1 and one with meal #2

So far as bioavailability, my present level of belief is that isolated nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) aren’t of any use. In whole/real foods, the nutrients are in a profile that we’re designed to utilize. What I mean; consider the macro, protein — if it’s amino sequence is incomplete, then it’s utilization / bioavailability is pretty much useless.
Taken individually / isolated, nutrients/supps are more likely to screw up our homeostasis.
Consider electrolytes: sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium all work together balancing one another’s effects. If we overdo one, it creates an unnatural chain of events that can and will impact heart rhythm, bp, water balance….. so on and so forth.

Our AAS / Ped use is the same; we effect the homeostasis of our total hormonal and nutrient profile when we take them. That’s why cycling them, moderating dosages, using ancillaries to help mitigate the negatives are just a few of the things we come to learn and understand with experience.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I’ve always thought that a supplement has to be from whole food to be effective. I agree, I always wonder how much I’m pissing away. I’ve been switching over to whole food powders to get all my nutrients.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have taken a 1-day ever since I was a child and will continue to do so. I don't think dosing B12 at 10x the RDA is going to cure cancer but having everything your body needs will help it run better.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I have taken a 1-day ever since I was a child and will continue to do so. I don't think dosing B12 at 10x the RDA is going to cure cancer but having everything your body needs will help it run better.

I don’t disagree. I just differ on what source / sources of b12 (and others) our biology can actually utilize.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
I don't really see a problem with a one a day multi, because of the relatively small amount vitamins/mins they contain. I do consider them beneficial for those few hectic days in a normal wk that I know I didn't get the nutrients, through diet, that I needed.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
I remember reading years ago a guy had his septic pump redone and they found thousands of solid centrum vitamin pills he had been taking for 40 years.
I think I read the same thing. Thank God we have gummies now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic