jacobss
What's New?

Injury prevention/Recovery for Husband

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Good evening guys....
Hoping to elucidate some solid feedback for my husband and I'm through with research.

Background: unsure of T levels (everything "appears" to be fine), no set training regimen, does work in extremely physically demanding job. Possible cervical lumbar disc compression issues BUT refuses to PT OT even see MD.

I realize this may not be the advantageous route but for now looking for some supplement outside of GH (he refuses to self pin daily) to assist with his:
1. Current issues
2. Prevent/postpone further damage.

Realize his job is cause but leaving not an option.

I am wondering if:

Winstrol or var qwk x8-10 would be an "okay" place to go for him?

If this is "acceptable" please let me know what doses you are thinking to this end.

Unsure if he will need PCT so please advise.

Sincere thanks.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Men can't... well should never run an oral only cycle. Testosterone is needed as well. And when we use anabolics, PCT is always required at the end.

However - No amount of steroids or GH or anything else is going to help with a disc compression issue. He needs to stop being so damn stubborn, get some PT and learn and understand his injury and how to prevent it from impacting his quality of life.

Sorry for the bad news.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
The Winny really won't help imo, I tend to get injured quicker when I run Winny. I agree with POB I'm not sure AAS is what he needs.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
If this is work related and you are in the US, he will lose out on important worker's compensation claims / rights, if he doesn't report his injury at work when it happens, and could end up crippled and unemployed as a result.

Stubborn is one thing, just plain dumb is another.

If it is only compression, it should be reversible, but he needs to see someone to prevent it becoming a much worse problem, that could leave him completely disabled. I know many people who ignored their back problems until it was too late. Trust me, they are cripples today, he doesn't want to become one of them. Their lives are miserable and pain filled.

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Tell him since I've been down this road if he even thinks it has anything to do with his job he better document it or he will be shit out of luck. No drug no shots nothing but real medical care in the end is going to help him. I have a cervical fusion and it was something that became worse over time I was a carpenter and the only thing that saved me is after I fell I had it documented i didn't get treated for another 2 yrs but that saved me from loosing a lot of money and footing the bill myself. I ignored mine like he is and caused nerve damage and spinal cord issues tell him this is not something to overlook and to look further down the road at how his back will be in 15 yrs. it will be to late and he will be out of luck. Just my opinion on my own experiences

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
Inversion Tables work some people. It did work wonders for me. I had sliding lower lumber. Had lot of therapy when I was younger, stopped oly lifting, and never really focused on heavy squat. Back was always sore until age 23; got an inversion table. I haven't used it in a few years and now I'm getting back to heavier squats and deads and my back still feels better than pre-inversion. For some it does nothing. Craigslist for 100.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks guys.
I've been begging him
Foam roll
Stretch
Lift
Something

And nothing. Doesn't document either as there is no specific injury just overuse:misuse that's "part of the job".

His idiot friends all use and he asked me (surprisingly) last night of he thinks that's a good route.

I was hopeful that, if he did take something he might move the needle to a more healthy lifestyle---I know the drugs can't fix you but I have seen many patients where a drug kickstarts a cascade of good things.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
If he's interested in "something", then he needs to do his research first. Like POB mentioned, if he doesn't include test as the baseline compound of a cycle, he's going to have issues other than his back. Every time you look to steroids for some specific effect, remember that you never get to pick & choose your results and sides. Very simply you are ****ing w/ your hormone profile because one of the effects is whatever you are looking for. But you get everything else that goes with it, so you need to know what you're doing. Have him read the stickies on the AAS board and do the research before even considering that route. Ignore whatever his buddies say about it - those guys tend to be the worst people to get advice from on a cycle. Do the research - the information and the experts are HERE. Otherwise enjoy the limpy dick and killed sex drive, followed by reduced test levels and early andropause, which of course will result in depression and general degeneration of everything.

RE: the spine - Oh for God's sake go see a doctor or a chiropractor and get an evaluation. Please see my thread on my strained AC joint. Shoulder problem? What does that have to do w/ your back you might ask? Well, after I got the MRI showing that my shoulder ligaments are basically overstretched, I got a set of x-rays. I'm 47 years old and have been living an extremely healthy life, I've been lifting since 1981 and I have a desk job. What did my x-rays show? My whole body is torqued to the left, meaning on opposing sides, left to right, front to back, one side is tight and the other is loose, so I torque. My rib cage & thoracic spine have very limited mobility (as I get older this can actually start to impact my vital organs as well). I also apparently have scoliosis and disk degeneration at bottom of my spine and my neck has 2 curves in it instead of one. Apparently the one minor car accident I've been in in my life, circa 1988, and the minor whiplash I experienced, has jacked my neck to the point that it curves the wrong way and there's continuing disc degeneration there as well. And btw, none of this is really due to all the years of heavy lifting and 10 years of competitive bodybuilding. It is from my basic structure and muscular push/pull balance.

When I was younger, I could muscle thru this stuff, but now it all is started to show. As you age, your growth hormone levels drop, and with it your ability to recover. So every imbalance becomes more pronounced. Over the course of 40+ years on the planet, this also means that where I have these imbalances, the smaller muscles are doing the work of the larger muscles that are no longer responding correctly since they've been working all these years to compensate for my fundamental structural imbalances and habits. This shit just continues to get worse as you age. I don't want to be all crippled up when I'm 60, so I'm working to fix it now. And the stuff I'm looking to do is not just go in for surgery. I'm literally relearning how to lift, sit, walk and focusing on retraining the parts of my body to not have to fight so hard to make stuff work.

In very simple terms, your body's primary directive is to keep your brain & your head upright. In the extreme, imagine someone w/ cerebral palsy - even w/ all the contorted joints, lack of muscle control, etc. the head is still upright. But the way the body has had to work to keep it upright is what ends up eventually causing the whole thing to deteriorate because everything is ending up having to compensate for other parts of the body, doing work they weren't designed to do. The end game is not pretty, and there's nothing that says the whole process can't be slowed down and even rectified by quantifying what is degenerating now, what causes it and what in the way you move / the way your body is / your habits that can be changed to keep it from progressing.

As mentioned above - AAS will help in things like recovery and probably mask pain via anti-inflammatory effect, but for a degenerating disc, that would probably just give a false sense of security and lead to much greater damange. It ain't "fixed". It might be something that would support a significant change in how he does things, strengthening of supporting structures, etc. But just running it w/o doing anything else would set the expectation that the drugs are goign to do all the work and that expectation can pretty much just **** you up. They are always only a support to foundational changes.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
And while I'm on a roll here...

NOT doing anything is just begging for a bad result. My best friend's mother has been going thru the most horrifying last 18 months. Apparently she had started getting sick and it escalated to the point where she had to stop working because she was exhausted all the time. Um... if this isn't a big fat red flag, I don't know what is. But for whatever reason, she never went to the doctor - maybe because she & her husband were concerned about insurance costs and medical bills.. However she ended up in the hospital for over a year, paralyzed from a point in her spine, down, has been diagnosed w/ everything from Lyme Disease to stuff that doesn't have a name. But essentially crippled, bedridden and wasting away. The extent of the degeneration was so bad that they took her off life support yesterday.

I can't reconcile this as her mom is the same age as my parents. They are in their early 70s. Her mom just died. My parents just got back from a 2 week tour of the Ukraine and Istanbul.

Never really understood what the initial problem was, but because they wouldn't do the due diligence when it started affecting her daily livelihood, my best friend will never have another conversation w/ her mom, her son just lost his grandmother (and in this family, the grandparents regularly live well past 90 with a few in their 100's) and her dad, who was looking forward to enjoying their retirement at the cabin, will now spend it alone. And none of this even considers the mess of hospital bills the family will be sorting thru and pulling out retirement funds to cover for the next several years. IMO none of this was necessary. What can you say when all of this might've never happened had they gotten her a checkup when she was starting to sleep for 18 hours at a time? At what point do you go, "D'UH!"

So, just something to keep in mind when there are easy things to be done just to get a quantification of the state of your body as a result of all the wear & tear it has absorbed to date in your life.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Have you had an MRI done ?

It will let you know if it's a disc issue or not.

Sometimes from my understanding the pain can feel like a disc but could be muscle or something else.

Make an appointment with a neuro surgeon.

Then the dr will have a list of options.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Have you had an MRI done ?

It will let you know if it's a disc issue or not.

Sometimes from my understanding the pain can feel like a disc but could be muscle or something else.

Make an appointment with a neuro surgeon.

Then the dr will have a list of options.

The worst thing that can happen is you lose your options.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Hey everyone, you guys as always are immensely helpful and I sincerely appreciate all of your feedback.

I do agree that at this point my husband is being, for lack of a better term, a complete asshole. There's one thing to be stubborn as mentioned, and another thing to be a complete dumbass.

A trait from his father, he thinks that being in pain from a job this something that you should just tolerate. I cannot get over this fact.

I told him that I flat out refused to help him unless you go get an MRI, consult with physical therapy or occupational therapy, and works with the physician to fix the root of the problem. As I have learned also from chronic injury, there is no compound in the world that will ever fix a structural problem.

Ever.

AAS are NOT the answer, They may, and I repeat may, temporarily mask some of the problems, but yeah
Is she will never go away and tell the source of the problem is fixed.

Sassy, I am so sorry to hear about your personal, as well as your friends problem. As a survivor of a major car accident with ongoing whiplash issues myself, I have tried to relate to him that the pain issues that I experience – while different from his – are ongoing and may never stop.

I'm not quite sure what it will take as a stimulus for him to change and I completely recognize the fact that AAS is not an answer for any of his problems. As mentioned, I feel like he's considering at least taking a step in the right direction and address me as problems by at least asking about medications, something that he never has done in the past. He's always flat out refused even NSAIDs.

I will keep you guys posted, and at this point I am not going to offer any advice you AAAS to him without demanding that he goes the traditional MRIs/PT OT route first.

Well Worker's Comp. may be out of the question at this point, I'm hoping that our insurance well at least cover it as a chronic pain issue?

Again, thank you guys for all of your help you have been more supportive and my "real" friends.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic