Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

IFFBB Pro Luke Wood dies after kidney transplant

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
THE bodybuilding community is mourning the loss of another of its muscled champions - six-time Australian Bodybuilding Champion Luke Wood.

Wood died during surgery at Westmead Hospital on Wednesday, just weeks before his marriage and only weeks after the death of amateur cult hero Aziz Sergeyevich Shavershian.

Wood, 35, is believed to have suffered complications after his body rejected a kidney transplant.

Wood, from Picnic Point, was one of very few Australian bodybuilders to have competed at the prestigious Arnold Classic, considered the most lucrative competition in bodybuilding in the world and named in honour of Arnold Schwarzenegger. He retired in 2009 when his kidneys began to fail.

"He will go down as one of Australia's greatest ever bodybuilders and a humble and genuinely nice person," one online tribute said yesterday.

His good friend Phil Primmer said: "It is with every ounce of sadness that I say goodbye to my brother, my mate and my biggest inspiration in bodybuilding."

243553-luke-wood.jpg

J

jackhammer

Aug 6, 2011
:( dammit thats rough. get your blood work fellas. seems like kidneys are the bber's expiration date. so unfortunate. RIP big guy

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
risks in all things. as jackhammer says, keep up on your bloodwork. the kidneys have an important job and they suffer greatly when blood flow is decreased do to vascular compromise.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
risks in all things. as jackhammer says, keep up on your bloodwork. the kidneys have an important job and they suffer greatly when blood flow is decreased do to vascular compromise.

Could you please elaborate on "vascular compromise"? I've often wondered why so many BBers have kidney issues and I've never bought into the whole "too much protein" BS.

J

jackhammer

Aug 6, 2011
not sure about her comment but from what i can gather its a culmination of things. high bp, toxic gear, dehydration for competitions, diuretics, excessive creatinine levels from beating muscle tissue up. too much creatine intake. and under an already taxed environment high protien diets are an additional strain the kidneys are put on. but often times the bbers with kidney issues, ie tom prince, had other dependency issues like pain killers or rec drugs. drink lots of water. take vit B1 100mg 3 times daily. take cystone by himilaya. keep bp in check. go easy on the orals and you should be fine. also, diets high in calcium and vit d3 have been shown to tax the kids as well. i tend to get off creatine while on a heavy cycle or when i take orals. which i only do for contest prep.

ShortzMcD

ShortzMcD

TID Lady Member
Nov 15, 2011
Went to the IFBB NSW & Aus show in October and Kai Green gave an amazing speech!
He also dedicated a routine to Luke, which most of the show was based around...
Was so sad, such a talent and so young too...
I don't think there was a dry eye in the whole place after the memorial piece was played.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
I would imagine many of the things BBers do to their bodies over the years add to the compromised kidneys, along with other organs for that matter. Regardless of the cause, it sucks to loose another fine athlete, who was family and a friend to someone.

REK

REK

Nov 23, 2011
:( dammit thats rough. get your blood work fellas. seems like kidneys are the bber's expiration date. so unfortunate. RIP big guy

^^^^^ For long timers and newbies alike, you may feel great, look great, but inside things can be very different. Remember, not all organs have the same nerves as our skin, teeth and muscles, so "feeling is not the path".....Labs please.

Rek

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
35.... Damn.

Just seeing this.

Yeah same here...RIP my brother and may god bless his family...blood work scheduled for next month. Long overdue for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic