Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

How to get accurate testosterone level results

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I'm not sure who knows how to get true test level readings not that >1500 BS but figured I'd put this out there for those who don't. Wrote it a while back when I was on my first cycle. Hope it can help somebody.

I'm on my first cycle currently and like everyone else was curious about if it was possible to get accurate testosterone level numbers instead of the dreaded >1500. This is what I did to get it to work and you can see in the pics below that the privatemdlabs panel showed >1500 and the other panel reads 2834.6 ng/dL. Both panels were taken the same day, same time, same labcorp location, and with the same 21G needle lol. I'll also give you a few different options you can choose from depending on what panels and values you want to get.

*Mods If I cannot talk about another company besides privatemdlabs or our new sponsor, I apologize and edit out my post but otherwise sorry for the long read and here's how (skip to the bottom if you just want to see how quickly lol):

During my research I came across evidence that the results were dictated by which state the company that you payed to get your blood requisition form resides in and for some reason any company based out of Florida gave the real values. The company whose name I saw mentioned was personal labs. I looked up their info and sure enough they were based out of Florida so I figured I'd give it a shot. I still got the female hormone panel on privatemdlabs for reasons which will be clear later and I picked a testosterone panel with thyroid values from personal labs and paid for it. This is where it gets tricky, I no longer think it has to do with the state. I saw codes for a panel that was going to be run on both requisitions so it got me thinking and searching for answers and now I believe you can get your actual serum test levels from any company, any labcorp location, any state, and any regional lab (though the test for the actual testosterone numbers will usually be sent out to a different lab than the rest of the panels). I'm pretty sure the results of the test are only based on which panel code is requested and the number you're looking for is 070001. A quick search of privatemdlabs turns up it has this code BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED IT. I stuck with personal labs bc they were cheaper.

So on privatemdlabs you can search for code 070001 OR look for this test Testosterone, Total - Women, Children, and Hypogonadal Males, LC/MS-MS its $59.99 for the test (again didn't try it personally but it should work). Under the description you'll see it say That part is key. With this panel you'll only get actual total serum testosterone values (not >1500 result) and nothing else.

On personal labs they have 2 tests with this code. Searching by code number didn't work for me but going under male health tests (have to click on it twice sometimes to get the vertical list) you'll see Low T (Testosterone) Profile for $48. The description says The key part. With this panel you'll get only actual total serum testosterone values (no >1500 results) and nothing else.

And the second test is called BASIC Erectile Dysfunction Profile for $93. The description says Again the highly sensitive is key and ends up being code 070001. With this test you'll get actual total serum testosterone (no >1500results), CBC with Differential/Platelet Count, and a thyroid panel which has free thyroxine (T4), T3 Uptake (THBR), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), and total thyroxine (T4).

^^^thats the one I chose since I wanted to see thyroid values as well.

As you can see you can come up with a few different options on what to get etc and I'll try and break them all down so you know what you'll get with each. As far as I know, these are the cheapest prices I've found for the panels but I only checked a few other companies out and privatemdlabs still has the cheapest female hormone panel.

Option 1) You don't care about anything but the usual female hormone panel from privatemdlabs. Probably best for pre and post cycle bloods since test levels should be normal ranges. All you want is the basics (LH, FSH, Total test, E2, AST/ALT, CBC with Differential/Platelet Count, and metabolic profile) and don't care about an actual test level number. Go to privatemdlabs as usual for the female hormone panel, total cost: $59.99 (before online coupon).

Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online

^^^link for the panel for option 1

Option 2) All you want is actual total test results AND NOTHING ELSE (no E2, no LH, no FSH, etc). Maybe your mid cycle, short on cash, already know the rest of your blood work is good, know how to control estrogen, and whatever other reason I'd pick this. Go to personal labs and get the Low T (Testosterone) Profile, total cost: $48 (before online coupon).

Low T (Testosterone) Profile | Men's Health Blood Tests, Online Blood Testing, Health Tests

^^^link for the panel for option 2

Option 3) You want real testosterone values AND thyroid profile and CBC with Differential/Platelet Count. Probably for some of the same reasons as option 2 but you'd like to include thyroid and CBC with Differential/Platelet Count and its mid-cycle where testosterone values are high. You will NOT get LH, FSH, E2 or metabolic profile with this option. Go to personal labs and get the BASIC Erectile Dysfunction Profile, total cost: m$93 (before online coupon).

BASIC Erectile Dysfunction profile | Men's Health Blood Tests, Online Blood Testing, Health Tests

^^^link for the panel for option 3

Option 4) You want everything normally given with female hormone panel from privatemdlabs (E2, FSH, LH, CBC with Differential/Platelet Count, AST/ALT, and metabolic profile BUT you ALSO want real test numbers. Again same reasons as 2 & 3, best mid cycle probably. This option WILL NOT give thyroid values. Go to privatemdlabs and get the Hormone Panel for Females AND go to personal labs and get the Low T (Testosterone) Profile, total cost: $59.99 + $48 (before online coupons for BOTH).

Low T (Testosterone) Profile | Men's Health Blood Tests, Online Blood Testing, Health Tests

^^^links for panels for option 4...you need to purchase the panel from each link.

Option 5) The big daddy of them all, includes EVERYTHING. You're mid-cycle and want a handle on ALL your values actual serum testosterone values, FSH, LH, E2, thyroid profile, CBC with Differential/Platelet Count, ADT/ALT, and Metabolic Profile. Go to privatemdlabs and get the Hormone Panel for Females AND go to personal labs and get the BASIC Erectile Dysfunction Profile, total cost: $59.99 + $93 (before online coupons for both).

BASIC Erectile Dysfunction profile | Men's Health Blood Tests, Online Blood Testing, Health Tests

^^^links for panels for option 5...you need to purchase the panel from each link

^^^this link is if you want to get the accurate testosterone level test from privatemdlabs. I personally didn't use it because it was more expensive than perosnal labs but I figured I'd throw it in here regardless just in case.

As you can see there are a few options you could choose from depending on what you want to see in your panels and what you're willing to spend. I went option 5 for mid-cycle bc I had the money laying around and wanted all my values (tried t3 few wks back and wanted to see how my thyroid came back).

Also just so it's clear, I paid for the privatemdlabs and personal labs requisitions on the same day, printed them both out within minutes of each other, went to the same labcorp location, took both samples on the same visit/day/time and just gave them two different reqs. Don't give them any CC info or insurance info. They may ask for drivers license which you could try and argue but they didn't for me.

I hope this has been written clearly enough to understand, I ramble a lot as is evident in this very sentence lol. If you're confused about any part of it, post up your question or pm me and I'll do my best to answer it as soon as I can and be as helpful as possible. This should work for EVERYONE who goes through labcorp and privatemdlabs and wants real numbers. Hopefully the rest of the members here can out this info to good use and start seeing the results we've all been wanting to see for a while now (except you lucky bastards who've always had actual numbers lmao).

The first two pics are from privatemdlabs and the hormone panel for females and the second two pics are from personal labs and their basic erectile dysfunction test. That's what I got and it should provide you with an idea of the results you'll get and evidence that you CAN get actual numbers from personal labs even when privatemdlabs gives >1500 all from the same location!

View attachment 551814View attachment 551815

View attachment 551816View attachment 551817

Edit* thanks to Megatron who called and talked with privatemdlabs, there's a small update. I'm just adding in the quote of what he found out. I haven't tested it or checked it personally but he is very thorough and I would trust his findings.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Getting your testosterone checked is useful to a degree but IMO shouldn't be taken as the final word. Some of the main issues with getting your testosterone checked and basing everything off that one, solitary reading:

*Variation in serum levels. Influences include aging, obesity, thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, estrogens, and certain other diseases and drugs.
*What to measure? Sex-hormone binding globulin-bound testosterone accounts for 44% of the total but is unavailable to cells and affected by multiple conditions. Albumin-bound testosterone accounts for about 50% of the total and is weakly bound. Corticosteroid binding globulin-bound testosterone accounts for about 4% and is weakly bound. Free testosterone represents only 2% to 3% of the total and this is the important part.
*One size does not fit all. Serum testosterone concentrations can vary by more than three orders of magnitude, depending on age, health, and other factors. No test can accurately capture the variation.
*Test technology. Radioimmunoassays, immunoassays, and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry employ different principles to assess testosterone levels, and all have limitations.
*Lack of standardization. Includes definitions, parameters assessed, and reporting; there is no mandatory quality-control program.

Currently there is a lack of consensus about the definition of "low" testosterone among endocrinologists, urologists, and clinical pathologists. Published ranges for normal are based primarily on measurements in older men and are not designed to establish ranges in men with normal sexual and reproductive function. Normal ranges should be based on testosterone levels derived from a predefined health index population, which currently they are not. FWIW I would initially be trying to figure out WHY it is so low and try to correct it at the root of the cause ~ this is why having all of the data from the rest of the biomarkers can sometimes reveal the bigger picture by enabling you or your doctor to link the dots together. Next time you get your bloods taken I would ask to get the following checked in addition to your testosterone:

CRP
Lipids (HDL, LDL + total) and blood glucose levels ~ will need to be taken in a fasted state
ALT/AST (fatty liver will slow metabolism as well as place greater strain on all of your other major organs)
T3/T4 levels
Creatinine
Haematocrit
Ferritin
B12
Vitamin D ~ not sure what it's like in the States but here in NZ doctors are unwilling to check Vit D levels unless necessary.

The results of all of those will give you a pretty comprehensive base to start from.

Source reference:

http://www.goldjournal.net/article/S0090-4295(13)01611-7/abstract

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Mini he is talking about when you are on a cycle. The normal test maxes out at 1500 but there is a more specific test which gives you an accurate number.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks POB. Yeah, I noticed after I posted that it was in the AAS part of the forum. My mistake!

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Request the lab perform a QUANTITATIVE rather than a SEMI-QUANTIYIVE ANALYSIS. The difference is a matter of serial dilutions. However the former is likely to be MUCH more expensive because UNLESS the lab utilized performs automated dilutions, a "human" must perform them manually.

jim

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic