Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hip and hamstring trouble

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Since Feb of this year my hip has dislocated 10 times now. The MRI showed arthritis in my hip but nothing else lower back is in great shape. They now think since my IT band which connects to the hip along with my hamstring and glute are so tight that they keep pulling me out of place. I haven't done anything really with my legs since mid feb except cardio and now they have me stopped for three weeks. Is there any stretches for the IT band and also what do you guys do to keep your hamstrings and glutes loose. They also think its part genetic. I'm stumped and frustrated at this point.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
stretch your ass off...I have issues with my right side IT band tight as hell..stretch and roll it out unless you know someone that works on muscles and I'm not talking about a massage. ;)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I have started some mobility training designed by Kelly Starrett. He's a Physical Therapist and weight lifter, and has worked with tons of athletes. Do a search for his name on youtube and whatever area you're having issues with and you are bound to find dozens of hits from him. He has something like 400+ vids posted.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I have started some mobility training designed by Kelly Starrett. He's a Physical Therapist and weight lifter, and has worked with tons of athletes. Do a search for his name on youtube and whatever area you're having issues with and you are bound to find dozens of hits from him. He has something like 400+ vids posted.

He's a crossfitter, not a weightlifter :p

But yeah he has some great info.

www.mobilitywod.com

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Just copying what everyone else is saying. Foam rolling IT bands hurt like hell but are oh so worth it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
He's a crossfitter, not a weightlifter :p

But yeah he has some great info.

www.mobilitywod.com

lol Yeah, but I give him a pass because he at least uses stuff he learned in school to teach people, and not what the crossfit cult has brainwashed him with. He throws in some crossfit stuff here and there, but the important stuff is 100% education.

I have been using his videos and writings to relearn how to squat since blowing out my knees.

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for replies I appreciate the help

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
The stretch bands, general stretching, the foam roller; all very great suggestions above.

And Ms. Jenner was spot on with finding someone that works on muscles. I went to see a young lady (can't do male therapists) who put her elbow where my IT muscle ties into my arse and she almost made me cry. The pain was that intense.

Went back for another muscle-whip session and the pain was not as severe. Long story short; eventually she was able to "release" the tension from my IT muscle into my hip and down into my leg. (Unfortunately she was not covered by my insurance.)

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Look up Joe DeFranco's agile 8 hip mobility routine. It has IT foam rolling in it. If you do it daily, it helps big time.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Look up Joe DeFranco's agile 8 hip mobility routine. It has IT foam rolling in it. If you do it daily, it helps big time.
I have bookmarked this site. My IT bands are real tight. I've only done the foam rolling, but I don't do it enough - and it shows in my inability to sit back on a squat.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic