Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Health portal: my history of lipid results

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
This was my last blood work with lipids. This is eating fried foods at least 4-5 times a week. Chinese take out one night a week. Eat full order of fried wantons, chicken and broccoli and I eat ramens all the time. (great source of 60g of carbs when I need them). I eat 2 tubs of icecream.
I just keep a rough balance of my protein intake and fill the rest with whatever foods I feel like eating.

To add, I have heart disease on both sides of family. Most relative on meds...etc.

piZLMWU.jpg
Amazing #’s bro!

Thinking back I also believe my physic came into its own after changing it up. I looked damn good in my 50’s. Better then ever. Lesson learned? Moderation works both ways. Taking too much out of your diet for fat loss or perceived good health isn’t always the right option.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Amazing #’s bro!

Thinking back I also believe my physic came into its own after changing it up. I looked damn good in my 50’s. Better then ever. Lesson learned? Moderation works both ways. Taking too much out of your diet for fat loss or perceived good health isn’t always the right option.
I am a few months from 50. Lots of things in my life changing. All good really. I came to 'the game' late in life, but thank goodness for many of the vets over here. Hard to believe I have been over here almost a decade.

I respect any and all goals first off. But when I came here to ask about going down a path I had never tried, there were several vets who gave me what I can now say is incredible advice. For my goals, and where I was in my training, slow and steady wins the race, less is more was what I took away. @Glycomann I know was one, @Littleguy another. Shine was always there to take the time to give some advice. I read of the guys who have been at this a while and found (for them) low(er) dose stuff what what they found the path for them long term. I followed that lead and am VERY thankful for push in the direction and wisdom that was shared with me.

To be clear, I am not knocking anyone who wants to approach it differently. I am just looking to stay 'in-shape' and feel good. Nothing more. I am not all that big and given up pursuing 'heavy' training after my last injury. I am at a place in my life where I "want to have my cake and eat it too"!

Over the past decade I have put aside past dogma and approach my path from a truly unbiased cost/benefit approach. What many fail to realize is this is a sliding scale for anyone. I have found that as I approach 30 years of training, it is easier and easier to MAINTAIN my physique. I have tossed off the old long held views of many body builders and as of the past 4 years I even started fasting. I avoided it before, because I was too worried about shedding mass.

Now it has been over 4 years since I am 100%IF, and the past year, I do 3 20-22hr fasts / week. (on my non training days). I no longer track food and just get a rough idea of protein. But I just do diet by 'feel'. I eat whatever I want and can easily target any level of bodyfat I desire. But that is to say it gets more challenging as you dip under 10%. But holding the 10% level year round is almost too easy. (and I am not and have never been a lean person by nature).

Not here to change anyone's mind. Just share what I have experienced, like others shared with me when I came here.

In closing I WOULD NOT recommend IF or fasting protocols for guys in their first 3-5 or even 7 years of training. But older guys like me who have had DECADES in the gym and actually have put the time in, I believe it is the best way to live an all around great life AND still keep the progress you put in for years grinding away.

For others, FOOD is where most people fall short in their training. Too many fail to realize the power of food. It even comes second to anabolic agents. Food, the quantity and quality will determine how you respond the the training you put in the gym. People dont get that. And I feel some rely too heavily on AAS rather than putting the efforts into their diets. I think using food to your advantage can allow you to use less, and still make progress. But beyond certain levels, there is no doubt that anabolics become more and more important in the equation. But that is realistically taking about levels of mass no human can ever carry without massive amount of aas. No amount of food will make you and IFBB pro.

Again we all have different goals. I am the gray hair crew here now. I see lots of knowledge here and lots of vets. Could not have achieved what I have without the shared knowledge of the people here. Just trying to share some of what I have learned.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Rot, I get the carotid ultrasound every two years, they check 3 most common spots for buildup. So far they are clean as a whistle. I do mostly cardio and lighter weights/high reps only 2-3 times a week but cardio 6 times a week.

Yeah I lost a TON of mass and strength but I am WAY healthier.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
My cholesterol has always been below 200, triglycerides always on the low end, but my hdl/ldl has always been way off. I had been asking my doc to prescribe me a statin for about 2+ yrs but he kept blowing it off and by the time he finally did I ended up needing a bypass. Using 20mg rosuvastatin my levels hardly changed, but after the surgery i was put on 80mg atorvastatin and my last blood test, last wk., my levels were perfect. I think #1 priority is keeping your BP at or below 120/80. High BP creates grooves in your arteries where cholesterol plaque will catch onto and continue to grow until the artery is blocked. #2 is keeping your HDL/LDL in check.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Should also mention I ran Var heavily (6 months ish) in 2016 - 19.

rot-iron66

rot-iron66

Oct 30, 2022
Rot, I get the carotid ultrasound every two years, they check 3 most common spots for buildup. So far they are clean as a whistle. I do mostly cardio and lighter weights/high reps only 2-3 times a week but cardio 6 times a week.

Yeah I lost a TON of mass and strength but I am WAY healthier.

As we age, this is the smart path to take for any kind of longevity...

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
If anyone here is concerned about cholesterol they should be taking citrus bergamot. Needs to have the trademark Bergamonte in it that the studies used. It lowered my ldl in half. I’m working on my HDL. Started taking more fish and krill oil so we will see next bloodwork if it’s helping. But citrus bergamot works well and works in a different way than statins do. I was always told to stay away from statins. And a natural alternative just makes sense to me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic