Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hamstring Severe Pull/ Partial Tendon Tear

G

GetBig400

Sep 13, 2011
On Jan 25th, 2011 I tore both my hamstring and the tendon that connects the hamstring to the ischium. I did PT for 2 months after, visited a chiro and did graston a few times, saw an orthopedic surgeon who recommended more PT, saw a new physical therapist but insurance pulled the plug after 2 weeks.

I'm stuck. The muscle still hurts to be stretched. I've been doing light strengthening and stretching 2-3x a week on my own.

It's been nearly 8 months, even a grade 3 tear should've been healed by now. I compete in track... this time off of sprinting has been killen me. Any advice as how to return to form would be greatly appreciated!

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
If i were you, i would try and find some GH and get on that shit like now...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You sure its not an avulsion? They did x-rays correct?

Do you do any quad strengthening exercises? How long was your rest period when you were injured? What did your therapy entail? Was it just stretches?

If you're not healed by know and you were following the doc and therapists advice to a T then you may have an avulsion - that is you've torn the muscle from the bone and possibly taken some bone with it.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I would get a scond oppinion. I do know from several friends that have had hamstring problems in the past, that they never really stop hurting. They always have some sort of pain or discomfort when doing activity. Do not stretch cold, do a moderate warm up on the bike or some other apparatus first. Static stretching is actually going to increase the likelyhood of injury. Maybe try an ice bath / hot shower contrast for a few days. this will get plenty of blood rushing through the area and should help promote the healing process.

G

GetBig400

Sep 13, 2011
You sure its not an avulsion? They did x-rays correct?

Do you do any quad strengthening exercises? How long was your rest period when you were injured? What did your therapy entail? Was it just stretches?

If you're not healed by know and you were following the doc and therapists advice to a T then you may have an avulsion - that is you've torn the muscle from the bone and possibly taken some bone with it.

Following the pull, I started doing stregthening and stretching within the same week. Therapy included isolation ham curls, leg press, quad strengthening, lunges, various balancing exercises, standing leg curl with weight on ankles, and yes both static and some dynamic stretching (also stim and massage).

Ideally I would have had an MRI, but the co-pay is $700, and I am a college student... that is my monthly income :(

I saw something on another thread about spot injecting igf-1 into the site of injury.. Would this help?

G

GetBig400

Sep 13, 2011
I researched hamstring tendon avulsions a few months ago.. would the PT process be different if I had one?

H

Hustlin

Jan 20, 2011
bro i had a 2 grade 2 tears in my left hamstrings and im telling you it was a bitch to overcome. it takes alot of PT and rest with lots and lots of stretching in between to get over it. after tearing it the first time, i was out for 8 weeks and tore it the again soon after wards pitching. you just have to stay on top of it cause my Doc told me that until the muscle fibers align back up after the tear that its just going to hurt and hurt until you rehab the muscle and and it fully heals. after my second tear i listended to my Pt and did everything he said to the T and now its fine. if u can afford it, next best thing is to see a good doctor and let them check it out it with an ultra sound to see if the muscle fibers have aligned themselves back or a mri to see if you tore the tendon. Since i was playing baseball at the time, doctor Andrews did all my stuff and showed me the pictures that the muscle fibers were all mis matched after the tear and rehabbed me through it till now i dont have any problems. instead of stretching a few times a week, do it everyday. light weights to get the muscle back to where it was before the tear a few times a week just like when you were doing Pt.

G

GetBig400

Sep 13, 2011
stretching and light weight reps are my current plan of attack.

I plan on doing an IGF-1/MGF/ RS-Transaderm (DHEA) cycle in December.

Hopefully, I'll be back to 100% by 2012

a few weeks ago, I tore my left pec benching.. these injuries are getting out of control

Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
Following the pull, I started doing stregthening and stretching within the same week. Therapy included isolation ham curls, leg press, quad strengthening, lunges, various balancing exercises, standing leg curl with weight on ankles, and yes both static and some dynamic stretching (also stim and massage).

Ideally I would have had an MRI, but the co-pay is $700, and I am a college student... that is my monthly income :(

I saw something on another thread about spot injecting igf-1 into the site of injury.. Would this help?

If it was a grade 3, which is (I think) a complete separation, or a grade 2, a partial, but still fairly serious injury, then you may have started lifting to soon.

I typically get 2-3 micro tears a year, usually grade 1, and then I train very carefully. I just got one that is at least a grade 1, possibly 2, and I have changed my workouts. I was doing 25 minutes of Kickboxing/MT (don't spar anymore) but I train as hard as I can stand. I do these workouts after an hour of lifting. I have stopped these altogether, as throwing a right shin roundhouse (in which I snap the kick back sharply) is the main cause of the micro tear.

What I am doing now, is being very, very careful when training legs. I use a machine that simulates a dead-lift, as regular deads risk damage. I then do lunges w/ lighter weight. Then, I do seated leg curls and I go very, very slowly w/ a very modest weight.. I finish w/ leg presses, or a squat machine, and then extensions. Using mostly machines reduces my chance of injury. Plus, I trained very heavy and basic for more than 30 years.

Tomorrow I am getting a massage and will do so once a week for the next 4 weeks.

Also, I am running some deca.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic