Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

GTAT files Chapter 11

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I still own a little bit, but thankfully I've sold most of it over the past few months - particularly after it was recently revealed that they wouldn't be supplying the screens for Apple's latest phone. I'd made lots of money on it in the last few years, and had gotten in and out of it a couple of times during that time.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/gtat

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
I noticed that today as well. I used to day trade that stock quite a bit. If you had a short you made some serious molaa today

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
$0.82 a share?!?!?!

At that price, wouldn't it be worth investing $50?

I mean, if it goes up $1 you will almost double your money.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Turbo, what makes you think it would go up? They are in bankruptcy and almost anything could happen, probably none of it good for shareholders.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Turbo, what makes you think it would go up? They are in bankruptcy and almost anything could happen, probably none of it good for shareholders.

I didn't read all up on their company, but sometimes companies can file for bankruptcy and it will just be a strategic move for them.

When the bankruptcy issue is finished, I would bet their stocks might start to climb a little.

Yea, its definitely gonna hurt the stock price because shareholders will sell. BUT, sometimes when shareholders sell it can be positive for investors because they can buy up the stock for cheap, and once the stock goes on the rise again they can make a nice profit.

It would be worth following this company and their expense sheets to see what the next couple of months look like.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
One of the cardinal rules of investing (if there is such a thing) assuming you are not shorting, is not to chase a stock that is tanking, rather, make a decision to either stay in, if you are already in, or get out and stay out. Once it has bottomed out, if it has good potential (i.e. not in bankruptcy, and has good fundamentals or alternately, technical indicators. or both) then consider investing again.

Unless and until you understand how to do either fundamental analysis or technical analysis, you are basically throwing your money away if you invest in anything that might be somewhat risky.

And that, Turbo, is about all I know about the stock market. But it is enough to keep me from thinking I could invest in the markets without first obtaining the knowledge and skills I need to make wise investments.

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
One of the cardinal rules of investing (if there is such a thing) assuming you are not shorting, is not to chase a stock that is tanking, rather, make a decision to either stay in, if you are already in, or get out and stay out. Once it has bottomed out, if it has good potential (i.e. not in bankruptcy, and has good fundamentals or alternately, technical indicators. or both) then consider investing again.

Unless and until you understand how to do either fundamental analysis or technical analysis, you are basically throwing your money away if you invest in anything that might be somewhat risky.

And that, Turbo, is about all I know about the stock market. But it is enough to keep me from thinking I could invest in the markets without first obtaining the knowledge and skills I need to make wise investments.

Definitely man!

Before investing you need to study up on the company.

I'm curious now, I wanna look at their stats.

It could be an opportunity to buy, but it could also be a bad idea.

I apologize if it sounded like I was suggesting to buy it up right now.

I meant in general after doing some homework and research, and forming your own understanding and opinion.

Definitely just because a stock is low doesn't mean to buy.

BUT, it could be an opportunity, or it could be a bad idea.

This is probably a small cap company so the volatility is gonna be higher in general and riskier.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Turbo when a company files for BK usually the equity is wiped out meaning the shareholders have no value left in the company. Senior debt has first dibs on any assets, even they will be lucky to receive pennies on the dollar....

I didn't read all up on their company, but sometimes companies can file for bankruptcy and it will just be a strategic move for them.

When the bankruptcy issue is finished, I would bet their stocks might start to climb a little.

Yea, its definitely gonna hurt the stock price because shareholders will sell. BUT, sometimes when shareholders sell it can be positive for investors because they can buy up the stock for cheap, and once the stock goes on the rise again they can make a nice profit.

It would be worth following this company and their expense sheets to see what the next couple of months look like.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Their stock is starting to go up.

It was $0.85 on Monday. Today (Wednesday), its already up to $1.75

I'm thinking about getting in.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Their stock is starting to go up.

It was $0.85 on Monday. Today (Wednesday), its already up to $1.75

I'm thinking about getting in.

I repeat myself: Unless and until you understand how to do either fundamental analysis or technical analysis, you are basically throwing your money away if you invest in anything that might be somewhat risky.

Also, just because a stock is going up does not mean it is a good risk and again: Unless and until you understand how to do either fundamental analysis or technical analysis, you are basically throwing your money away if you invest in anything that might be somewhat risky.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic