Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Going to start hitting up a PowerLifter Gym

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Then I offer this when visiting a PL gym; forget what you know, get ready to WORK (not insinuating you don't) in a way you're not accustomed to, and ask questions.

PL is a different game, that draws a unique crowd. I've not been part of a "community" that's more willing to help other people grow. No vanity, no bullshit, just lifting heavy and being awesome.

That is kinda my mindset because I know certain lifts would be different with the different federations out there and such. Were you serious about the chucks?

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
That is kinda my mindset because I know certain lifts would be different with the different federations out there and such. Were you serious about the chucks?

Absolutely. I don't wear em, but about 90% of the PL I know do.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Porky is totally right! Great advice. Know one will remember what shoes or shirt your wore but people will remember a good attitude and you being a solid guy. There might even be some friendly ribbing at first, the way you handle that will also make the other guys more comfortable around you.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
That's a great post porky!

One thing I do have to say about myself, usually being the biggest/strongest guy in the gym, I think I intimidate the noobs sometimes, and come off the wrong way and that is why they don't say hello or even look at me. I have to remind myself this a lot because I get pissed off and automatically think the noob is a prick when actually I just scare the crap out of them....and they probably don't mean any disrespect.

It took my wife to get me to realize this, I never realized it myself, she pointed it out to me that I can be pretty intimidating naturally.

So I am saying this to say that us big guys need to be aware that our presence alone in the gym or powerlifting club can make noobs change their behavior when they are probably pretty cool bros, they are just intimidated lol.

I totally understand that, Warrior.
I work in a field where I am dealing with a lot of people, so I'm pretty good at not coming off as unapproachable or brutish.... but this poor kid just stared at everybody and didn't talk. I asked to work in with him, as he was benching with 25s on the bar and that's where I start- did a few sets, thanked him and he just quietly said "ok" and stared.... It's just strange because anyone who has met me, or even knows me on here knows that I'll do anything I can to help someone out..... not trying to bash on this kid, I honestly felt bad for him. It wasn't until after he tiptoes out that the teammate he knew said anything about how he wanted to train with us.

For Starwind - it sounds like you have the right idea. The chucks will probably be better, but wear what you wear, you don't need to put on a show or do anything to fit in. The fact that you got invited out says that you'll be fine. Go have fun!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I totally understand that, Warrior.
I work in a field where I am dealing with a lot of people, so I'm pretty good at not coming off as unapproachable or brutish.... but this poor kid just stared at everybody and didn't talk. I asked to work in with him, as he was benching with 25s on the bar and that's where I start- did a few sets, thanked him and he just quietly said "ok" and stared.... It's just strange because anyone who has met me, or even knows me on here knows that I'll do anything I can to help someone out..... not trying to bash on this kid, I honestly felt bad for him. It wasn't until after he tiptoes out that the teammate he knew said anything about how he wanted to train with us.

That kid didn't even know the opportunity he passed up.

U

Usealittle

Feb 15, 2012
Great advice in this thread come in from everyone... Don't worry, you don't have to be big to be strong. It's kinda like being the strong silent type... That how I like it.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
It was a great time there. Guys from all over. Some 70 year old guy deadlifting 10 45's was a sight to see. New Yorker guy made a joke about back home guys would get tossed out if they wore high end squat shoes they'd get tossed haha. Guy made a comment when I was meeting everyone that usually no new guys talk to anyone. Definitely a stereotypical gym which I was looking for. There is an amateur meet they want me to do in July. Pretty much said as long as you can bench the bar with clamps on the end you can go to it. So I have three months to see if I can up my numbers. Just a great environment all in all Thank you guys for all the info.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Been a while since I said anything. Finished my first meet over the weekend at an AAU one. Got third place and hit 8/9. Got too excited during my last bench press that I had it up, but I racked it too soon. All in all I love the sport and am hooked. Had a 914 total for training legit since mid april. I felt I had a bit more left in my deadlift, my bench maybe another kilo or two, and squat maybe a little more. Figure next meet will be in April for a USPA meet aiming for 1300 total, but we'll see.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Great job getting on the platform for the first time...... Depending on the meet director you'll probably like the USPA meet more than the AAU one. At least around here the USPA throws great meets.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Great job getting on the platform for the first time...... Depending on the meet director you'll probably like the USPA meet more than the AAU one. At least around here the USPA throws great meets.

I actually worked the USPA meet here a couple weeks ago. Doesn't nearly feel like a backyard meet like AAU did, but AAU films it and takes a shiit ton of pictures which is a nice plus. I'm not sure if loading plates and cleaning up beat me up more than the meet actually did haha.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I actually worked the USPA meet here a couple weeks ago. Doesn't nearly feel like a backyard meet like AAU did, but AAU films it and takes a shiit ton of pictures which is a nice plus. I'm not sure if loading plates and cleaning up beat me up more than the meet actually did haha.

I dont volunteer to load plates. I will hand out spots and back spot if asked. If someone asks me to load plates i will do that also I am a very good loader. You have to be to train with me and the rest of the crew. We've got 3 people one is my fiance she doesn't lift much at all so the weights are vastly different we don't like to dilly dally. we load fast and hit the set.

I'm glad you got big by the bug.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
I dont volunteer to load plates. I will hand out spots and back spot if asked. If someone asks me to load plates i will do that also I am a very good loader. You have to be to train with me and the rest of the crew. We've got 3 people one is my fiance she doesn't lift much at all so the weights are vastly different we don't like to dilly dally. we load fast and hit the set.

I'm glad you got big by the bug.

I got paid 200 bucks... So it was a win win.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic