Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

"FLEXIBLE DIETING" (IIFYM applied correctly)

T

Tony Delk

Sep 15, 2010
This is my opinion of how IIFYM should be applied, which should be called "Flexible Dieting" or "Inclusive Dieting".

The Flexible Diet Summarized:

• 1-2+ veggies per day.
  • 1-2+ fruits per day.
  • 12-15g fiber per 1000kcal intake per day(or more for some ppl).
  • Hit your macros that are geared towards your physique/performance goals.
    • 80-90% foods you'd consider nutritious/whole.
    • 10-20% whatever else that fits.
Food For Thought

Compare the two scenarios:
Person A - fits their macros, micros and fibre and drinks plenty of water at a moderate calorie deficit to lose body fat with no need for "cheat meals". Small amount of cardio.
Person B - is a typical "clean eater" but doesn't track macros, is in an extreme calorie deficit (without even knowing) doing copious amounts of cardio and has a "cheat meal" once a week, a scheduled binge where calorie and macronutrient intake are completely disregarded for the purpose of their own sanity.

Which scenario is likely to see healthier results both physically and mentally?

Some common problems with clean eating include:

• too much protein (1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight is extremely common, even in naturals)
  • a lack of carbs (active adult males with a significant amount of muscle probably shouldn't be eating 150g of carbs per day - I won't even mention ketogenic dieting)
  • a lack of fat (I see lots of lean protein + complex carb + veggie meals with no fat added)
  • a lack of fiber (the exception to this is usually a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast)
  • a lack of micronutrients (a result of a fear of fruit and a restriction of one's vegetable intake to a few green beans and a bit of broccoli)
What this means is that flexible dieters, condemned for eating 'unhealthy' foods, often have a better overall diet than do the people that condemn them.

I use this method year round for both myself and my clients, all of whom experience great success - BUT I AM NOT SAYING THAT I THINK IT IS FOR EVERYONE, OR THAT THERE IS NOT ALTERNATIVE METHODS.

N

NYallDay

Jan 4, 2015
I am person "b". I need help with calculating my macros (I have the calculator but my goals and the number it's spits out doesn't seem right).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic