Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Finding 1RM before starting a program?

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
It is very likely that my training partner and I will be attempting the Lillibridge Method after we finish the last 3 weeks of Jay Cutler's Living Large.

What is the best way to find our 1RMs? I should mention that we train BB style and we haven't gone under 5 reps in quite some time. Also, I have a herniated disk between L4-L5. I don't want to aggravate my back right from the get go. I know... form form form... But I was thinking if we should go for squat max one week, then recover and go for deads max the next? Or should we do them all in one week? How many attempts should I make? How much do I warm up? This is quite alien to me and any advice at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks
GS

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
It is very likely that my training partner and I will be attempting the Lillibridge Method after we finish the last 3 weeks of Jay Cutler's Living Large.

What is the best way to find our 1RMs? I should mention that we train BB style and we haven't gone under 5 reps in quite some time. Also, I have a herniated disk between L4-L5. I don't want to aggravate my back right from the get go. I know... form form form... But I was thinking if we should go for squat max one week, then recover and go for deads max the next? Or should we do them all in one week? How many attempts should I make? How much do I warm up? This is quite alien to me and any advice at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks
GS

Your warm up should be normal. So I step up gradually since I don't want to injure myself either. This is what I did last time I maxed out on bench. 135 for 20 reps, 225 for like 10 reps, then I'll go 285 for 3 reps. 315 for 3 reps, then 365 for 3 reps, then put what I think the 1RM weight on, rest a min or two, and try it, felt easy, go up 5lbs or 10lbs. But rest a few mins between reps.

I'd never max out more than 1 muscle group a week, or if they are at opposite ends of the week, then I don't see a problem, just not a day apart.

I wouldn't max out for Deads if your back is messed up at L4 area, you don't want a blow out.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks JD. I'm considering doing my DLs sumo. It may spare my back.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Since you haven't done max effort for quite some time I would suggest you work up to it over the next 4 weeks like this:

Week 1:
Monday: squat working up to a 5 rm
Dynamic warm up
Warm up under the bar. You want about 20 to 30 reps before working sets. Say 405 x 5 will be your first attempt. Do this

135 x 5, 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 1
405 x 5
If by rep 3 you are smoking your reps stop. Add 20 to 30 pounds and go again. Do this until you hit 5 reps.

Wednesday bench
Same process as above but make smaller weight jumps. No more than 10lbs at a time for working sets.

Friday deadlift
Same process but jumps can be 30 to 40lbs.

Week 2
Same as above but shoot for 3 rep maxes. Jumps in working sets may need to be a bit smaller.

Week 3 speed week
Stay light and just hit doubles for 4 sets. Focus on moving the bar fast. This is a deload.

Week 4
Work up to your one rep max similar to week 1 and 2. Jumps should be no more than 20lbs on squat and dead and 10lbs on bench.

Keep me up to speed on your numbers weekly and I can estimate your numbers to give you an idea what to shoot for.

Do not let your form fall apart or you will get injured. Do not do any accessory work during this month. Eat some extra food and catch some extra sleep. Take drol if you got it.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
That sounds great GS!

You should make a training journal, I would love to follow your progress!

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I don't have drol but I am on pleanty of gear. I feel like by staying away from orals I can run longer cycles. I'm going to show your method to my partner. I think a month is a reasonable length of time to prepare. Again, we have about 3 weeks left on our current program so I'm just getting prepared for now.

Thanks

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The only way to know a true 1rm is to do a 1rm...... There is nothing that equals big weight other than big weight.
I've got a 198/220 class teammate who pulled 725 for 8 reps but couldn't lock out 750 a few weeks later. I've got buddies who can raw squat 550 for 5 but have never been able to hit 6... on the flip side, in full gear I can't do a double with 900 but I smoked 1020 in a meet and have gone 1100 in the gym...... you have to condition your body for heavy singles............. by doing heavy singles.

Save the reps for after a heavy single, too..... if your top end bench is 400, don't do sets of 20, 10, or even 5 leading up to it.

If I' doing a heavy single in training or in a meet my warm up is always the same. Do as many reps with the bar as you need to get a full range of motion and get your body warm. Once your joints and body is warm then nothing but doubles and singles all the way up.

For example, at my last meet I opened around 800 on the bench. My warm ups were:
Bar x 20
95 x 10
135 x 2
225 x 1
315 x 1
405 x 1
in shirt
550 x 1
640 x 1
730 x 1

Opener around 8....

Deadlift I open in the low 700s, my warm ups were 135 x 1, 365 x 1, 600 x 1........

For you, I'd suggest squatting and deadlifting on the same day, then benching a few days later.
Good luck, you'll like the program.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
The only way to know a true 1rm is to do a 1rm...... There is nothing that equals big weight other than big weight.
I've got a 198/220 class teammate who pulled 725 for 8 reps but couldn't lock out 750 a few weeks later. I've got buddies who can raw squat 550 for 5 but have never been able to hit 6... on the flip side, in full gear I can't do a double with 900 but I smoked 1020 in a meet and have gone 1100 in the gym...... you have to condition your body for heavy singles............. by doing heavy singles.

Save the reps for after a heavy single, too..... if your top end bench is 400, don't do sets of 20, 10, or even 5 leading up to it.

If I' doing a heavy single in training or in a meet my warm up is always the same. Do as many reps with the bar as you need to get a full range of motion and get your body warm. Once your joints and body is warm then nothing but doubles and singles all the way up.

For example, at my last meet I opened around 800 on the bench. My warm ups were:
Bar x 20
95 x 10
135 x 2
225 x 1
315 x 1
405 x 1
in shirt
550 x 1
640 x 1
730 x 1

Opener around 8....

Deadlift I open in the low 700s, my warm ups were 135 x 1, 365 x 1, 600 x 1........

For you, I'd suggest squatting and deadlifting on the same day, then benching a few days later.
Good luck, you'll like the program.

Damn! Those some big weights!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't like doing high reps for warming up. I like to keep it at 3 or under. Why waste energy and blow your load before you get to really test yourself.

And I fully agree with Porky in that if you want to lift heavy you have to lift heavy. I had a friend who could squat 495 for an easy 15 but he never squatted 6. He wasn't able to hold that weight on his back and take it for a ride... that's why I like reverse band squats. It gets me ready and used to that heavier weight before it's just bar weight.

I also wouldn't take extra gear to help with your 1RM's b/c it's a skewed 1RM.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I see what you guys are saying and I agree. A 1RM in it's purest form should use all of your energy and nothing wasted during warmup. If I were a completely healthy individual, I would use this approach but the fact of the matter is, I have a preexisting injury and I don't want the show to be over before it begins. Some lead-up is going to be necessary IMO, or at least it would make me feel more confident under the bar.

edit: After reading this post back to myself it sort of seems like I'm arguing against the advice I asked for. I don't want to come off that way. I take all advice into consideration.

Last edited:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Maybe that month POB mentioned should be filmed so you can form check yourself. When you try and max your deadlift you'll hopefully be using more legs and less back if you get some advice leading up to your testing day. My lower back only hurts after a shit-form training session.

Use those legs!!!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I see what you guys are saying and I agree. A 1RM in it's purest form should use all of your energy and nothing wasted during warmup. If I were a completely healthy individual, I would use this approach but the fact of the matter is, I have a preexisting injury and I don't want the show to be over before it begins. Some lead-up is going to be necessary IMO, or at least it would make me feel more confident under the bar.

edit: After reading this post back to myself it sort of seems like I'm arguing against the advice I asked for. I don't want to come off that way. I take all advice into consideration.

Funny but true...... you might have missed my point though. In all fairness, I got carried away and wasn't clear.

You still can (and probably should) just do singles all the way up. But, even without injury you should find a protocol that helps you warm your body up first. Warm ups don't have to be the movement being trained.

With a back injury I'd look in to some of Donnie Thompsons' YouTube videos on back rehab and prehab. Some hanging band stuff can warm up your back and hips without taxing your muscles much. So can some very light stretching, some light ab work or butt walks to wake up your QL could help a lot too..... or even, do a bunch of reps with bodyweight or just the bar but once you start adding weight switch to singles.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic