Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Eric Spoto WR Bench Press!!!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
One of the things that has always somewhat pissed me off, just from my experience competing as a lighter lifter.

Most I have lifted in a meet is 237 raw @ 140 and they made me pause on my chest for what seemed like ages, the more weight went on the bar the less the pause became. No disrespect to the big guys, but at our meets the guys that are lifting over 500lb barely have to pause it and they still usually get given at least a couple of white lights.

IMO a paused bench should be just that, no matter who's lifting it or how much is on the bar. It's meant to be law FFS ?!

I tend to agree with you MF, I think often times when the weight gets heavier or if it is for a world record or national record or etc, it seems people salivate at being there or having the opportunity to enable that person to do so. Let them earn it. Now that being said, Eric Spoto is a phenomonal lifter. He is crazy strong. I watched the vids and either it's a gap in the vids or as many of you mention, the press call was quick. I will admit from the vids, it appears to be a touch and go, BUT it might be a lag in audio. IDK. Eric went 661, 716, and then 722. If he adds to that total, I guess he made fools of all of us. The biggest thing I am about, is letting the lifter earn it. High squats, touch and go's and etc make a mockery of the sport. I remember when Mendy hit 715, his too was criticized. Guess if Eric does another meet, we will see. I sure would like to see him do a meet a little farther away from Super Training Gym. Maybe somewhere on neutral ground. Say, an international meet. If you're that good, you should want to prove it and have no problem doing it anywhere or anytime.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Who said it was 716? All of the reports I saw were claiming 722 (admittedly most of them were from Facebook lol).

I posted the second attempt of 716. That is where the confusion came from... In a vid by mark bell he does admit that he didn't get the press command for the 716.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Ok, I still cannot talk to the length or quality of the spot, BUT I have spoken with several who are more in the know than I am and they said the streaming audio/visual was off a bit or there was a lag. So until otherwise something can show me, I have to believe that the judges at least attempted to call it down the line. Regardless, Spoto is strong as hell and I'm betting he could eventually hit something stupid like 750. Look at the size of this dude and he is just really honing his skill. What will be nice is he will likely push the number higher and leave little to doubt...or at least that is my hope.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Ok, I still cannot talk to the length or quality of the spot, BUT I have spoken with several who are more in the know than I am and they said the streaming audio/visual was off a bit or there was a lag. So until otherwise something can show me, I have to believe that the judges at least attempted to call it down the line. Regardless, Spoto is strong as hell and I'm betting he could eventually hit something stupid like 750. Look at the size of this dude and he is just really honing his skill. What will be nice is he will likely push the number higher and leave little to doubt...or at least that is my hope.
He also said that once he feels that he has maxed out his raw bench he wants to see how far above 1,000 he can get and try his hand at some equipped benching.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I posted the second attempt of 716. That is where the confusion came from... In a vid by mark bell he does admit that he didn't get the press command for the 716.

I agree that the press commands do look quick and in some feds, he may have been red lighted...but regardless, he presses more than I will ever dream of. LOL. Hope he gets to chance to solidify himself with some legitimacy. Nobody wants to have a lift be a gift. I'm betting Eric is that type of guy.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Ok, I still cannot talk to the length or quality of the spot, BUT I have spoken with several who are more in the know than I am and they said the streaming audio/visual was off a bit or there was a lag. So until otherwise something can show me, I have to believe that the judges at least attempted to call it down the line.
Here you go, this one seems to be better:

Last edited by a moderator:
hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Meh, lil quick but I have heard often that if control is shown on the way down, press calls seem to be a bit quicker. Often times many think it has to be a certain time. It's about the bar remaining motionless on your chest. So, I could go either way. Like I said he is by far out of my league. Hopefully, he competes again away from Super Training and it will help legitimize his lifts. Stan Efferding gets knocked on that point too. Both are incredible lifters regardless. How about Daniel Green? Holy Balls!!!!

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
That's sick. Wish I could press 3/4 of that.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Meh, lil quick but I have heard often that if control is shown on the way down, press calls seem to be a bit quicker. Often times many think it has to be a certain time. It's about the bar remaining motionless on your chest. So, I could go either way. Like I said he is by far out of my league. Hopefully, he competes again away from Super Training and it will help legitimize his lifts. Stan Efferding gets knocked on that point too. Both are incredible lifters regardless. How about Daniel Green? Holy Balls!!!!

Dan Green is a gifted lifter. He was training hard as hell right up to the meet. He attempted a 900+lb block pull last Wednesday and an 800 something pound squat a couple days before the pull. I wish I had his hip and knee flexibility. I'm close, but not quite there.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Dan Green is a gifted lifter. He was training hard as hell right up to the meet. He attempted a 900+lb block pull last Wednesday and an 800 something pound squat a couple days before the pull. I wish I had his hip and knee flexibility. I'm close, but not quite there.

Yeah I saw the failed 900 lb block pull attempt. Dan is an incredible lifter. Yeah couldn't believe how intensely he trains right up to the meet. Incredible lifter as well.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I just opened yahoo news and this was on the main rotator. Good to see strength sports getting a little media publicity.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The 722lbs is A LOT bette than the 716lbs. There's a slight pause in the press.

As for Dan Green, he's a freak. The guy holds the WR in the 220lbs and 242lbs Class. They did an interview with him and he said something to the affect of if you want to lift heavy you have to train heavy. From what I've seen, he always trains heavy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic