Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz

Elite Totals

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Who here dreams of having an Elite total?
Who's already achieved this?
What does it take to generate the drive and determination to reach this level in Powerlifting?

What can one expect when hitting that status?
Invites to other federations or meets?
YouTube monetizing?
Sponsorship?

Just a few questions to spark conversation, because, lately, I have become healthily obsessed with becoming the strongest version of myself possible. It's quite possible I could be knocking on Elite's door by next year, maybe as soon as this Spring. This is with the SPF (1728) and 100% Raw (1740), not XPC (2090), RUM (1989) or WPC (2040)...

As my numbers increase, I tend to daydream about being the strongest person in my state. I wonder how long it will take.

I look up numbers. I do math in my head all the time, figuring out what I need to add to my total to have my name in the books at the top. I'm really new to competing, yet I still envision greatness. It's not an ego thing, it's more of a realization. I was meant to do this.

What made you want this?
What made you realize it was possible?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You can expect nothing in return from achieving an Elite total. There isn't any "real" money in this sport but I'm sure you already know that. Sponsors.... you can get free gear but that's bullshit in terms of real sponsorship. Sponsorship is a monthly check and the cost of competing being covered by the sponsoring company. Getting an Elite total is all about respect, validation, and recognition for all your years of hard work. You have to remember we're a VERY small niche. Hell most won't even know what your talking about and that goes for people who lift.

If you really want to test yourself I suggest you work on qualifying for RUM and seeing where you really stand in the grand scheme of Raw lifters.

There's nothing wrong with working towards a goal... in fact I think everyone should do this. They should set short and long term goals and lay out a plan to reach them.

Remember.....Anything is possible if you're willing to work hard enough for it.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Man I would love to have an elite total, but I'm just not genetically setup for power lifting.

I STILL can't bench 405.

For me power lifting is just a hobby because I'll never bench with the big lifters like Spoto, Lilly, Wenning, Mendelson.

Those guys are elite.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
As someone who totals subpar, an elite total seems like a distant, distant goal. Being the strongest in the state, county or even the block would be pretty cool. But as the IronBrother says, it doesn't really equate to dollars or national prestige.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Where would I find the elite total for women ?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
It differs from fed to fed and weight class, but for example;
ADAU super heavy raw is 1012

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Man I would love to have an elite total, but I'm just not genetically setup for power lifting.

I STILL can't bench 405.

For me power lifting is just a hobby because I'll never bench with the big lifters like Spoto, Lilly, Wenning, Mendelson.

Those guys are elite.

Don't let excuses stop you from achieving what you want. You want to bench 405.... then bust your ass to bench 405.

Here's another pearl.... don't compare yourself to others. Be the best YOU, you can be.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Where would I find the elite total for women ?

It's different in almost all federations, so you have to look up their classifications. They have the women numbers at the beginning of the charts usually. I'll PM you some links in a few...

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
BrotherIron;372332 If you really want to test yourself I suggest you work on qualifying for RUM and seeing where you really stand in the grand scheme of Raw lifters.[/QUOTE said:
I have those numbers on my goal sheet currently. That'll be years down the road. The SPF total could be done by next year, 100% Raw in two, RUM in maybe four...? 100 lbs added to my total every year could put me in the 2000s in four years. I'm not delusional. I know that's a hell of a long term goal... Every short term goal I've set for myself this year has been achieved, and that's a good start.

But like Hawkeye said the other week, just lifting on the same platform as legends would be reward enough!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have competed several times locally. While I dont primarily train for strength (in a technical powerlifting manner) I have attained what most consider good strength levels. I dont think labels like 'elite' mean much. Truth is, the guys who really know what is means are a limited group. To the general public , 225 is a big bench....so being judged by their perspective is pointless. In the end, you just have to do 'you'.

Breaking certain points only gave me a few days satisfaction. Then it is on to a new goal. Benching well over 4, squatting mid 5's and deadlifting mid 6's (@200lbs 40+yo) is just 'normal' now. Just another days work. The excitement comes in 5-10 lb incriments now. (Regardless the label that comes along with it)

Just my perspective.....but the guys that matter know what is strong. They respect the elite totals. But I have also seen most respect the personal struggle to improve just as much. We are all alike in that way. I personally respect the drive to improve and the person behind it more than the label next to their total.

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
An Elite total is a great goal - very few people can come in tot he sport and hit that mark easily. Anyone who has been around knows the work involved.

The meet invites and sponsorship stuff didn't come until I had a few pro totals under my belt and some experience at bigger meets.

A few years back I had just hit my first pro total and got the invite to lift at the Arnold. A group of guys on here helped me out because I was too broke to afford the trip. I did terribly, but Dan Dague got to know me a little, we talked again at another meet, and from that I started getting invited every year. From that, a few sponsors took notice and everything snowballed..... but it might have never happened if a couple of guys on here hadn't helped me out to get me to a bigger meet.

The best thing that you can do is to start trying to compete at bigger and bigger meets. You'll start to get to know the familiar faces and you'll start talking to a lot of guys who know more and have paid more dues - start asking questions. Start taking trips out to train with stronger teams and lifters.

As for Turbo's genetics.... it took me 9 months in the gym ( my senior year of high school) before I could bench 135...... It took 5 years to bench 405 in the gym...... 4 more years ( now in a bench shirt) to bench 600 in a meet...... now 5 years later I'm in the 800s....... I also have terrible genetics. Please believe me when I say that you can overcome them with hard work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic