Threads
Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz

Does Pin press give any indication of actual max

puckett26

puckett26

Apr 17, 2012
To make a long story short about 4 months back i was doing pin presses to help with my lockout on the bench. Best I could do was 405x1. I kind of gravitated away from the over the last 4 months but my training partner wanted to do something the other day instead of our normal flat bench day. So we did heavy pin presses, I ended up working up to 500x3 and 505x1 on the last set. I definately see improvement but is this an real indication that my bench has gone up? Or that maybe my max is anywhere near say with in 100lbs of that total?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It depends on your weaknesses. I lift equipped so I work the shit out of my triceps and do way less direct chest work. Because of that my raw bench is low-mid 500's, but I pin press ( to around a 3-board height) over 600 ( and have benched mid-7's in contest, low 8's in the gym geared)

If you lift raw I doubt that you are as unbalanced, but you might be.... In the end there's no formula or indicator lift to judge your development exactly ( unless you are Louis Simmons and you can tell your athletes progress by this). The only way to find out your 1rm is to actually lift as heavy a weight as you can.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I agree with PLK, I use pin presses but often set it on it's lowest bar(almost touching my chest and usually lie on the ground inside the squat rack). So essentially it's like a floor press...or modified version of one. If you went higher, it would definitely be more geared towards your lockout. As for gauging your max, honestly the only way I personally like to gauge my max is by actually getting under the bar and doing it. Even doing reps, to me, isn't always the best way to gauge it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic