Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Do you buy premium fuel?

S

simonjpa

Sep 10, 2010
Here they list 6 Car Myths That Cost You Money. The number one myth is that “High-Octane Gasoline Is Better for Your Engine.” Do you believe this? Do you buy premium fuel? I don’t. I never have. My car manufacturer says it’s required, but I have never bought premium fuel for any of my cars.

6 Car Myths That Cost You Money Every Year | Cracked.com

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Ill tell you what, I know for a fact that if you dont use premimum gas in a motorcyle, especially mine, it will run like shit. Ive had too many mods done, especially to my engine, and if premimum gas isnt used, forget about it.. Cars? Who knows.. I know my older car always get premimum gas. I think premimum gas is great for cars like vettes, etc. But for your normal car like a focus or fusion, regular gas is fine..

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
My cars need premium fuel and it's fact not myth... The high octane rating means somthing and thats the flash point of the fuel, with higher compression engines an when running maximum advance timing that raises the temp in the combustion chamber so lower grade fuel will ignite before the spark plug even lights it off, it's called "detonation" and yes it will ruin a motor... Now in late model cars there are knock sensors that will retard the timing to prevent fluke motor from damage but you will suffer poor gas milage an performance.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I blew up the motor in my WRX a couple years ago because it was tuned to the point where I would have needed 101 octane lol... No more amateur tunes for me!

I had an Infiniti FX35 for a while and there was a noticeable difference in the vehicle between 87 and 93 fuel.

And my legacy 2.5GT was lightly tuned with a larger turbo and that would ping with 87 and hard acceleration...

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Feb 28, 2012
Ill tell you what, I know for a fact that if you dont use premimum gas in a motorcyle, especially mine, it will run like shit. Ive had too many mods done, especially to my engine, and if premimum gas isnt used, forget about it.. Cars? Who knows.. I know my older car always get premimum gas. I think premimum gas is great for cars like vettes, etc. But for your normal car like a focus or fusion, regular gas is fine..

100% agreed!
The lowest my motorcycle engine can take is 90, so I use 93 (I have a 2011 M109 Limited 1800cc) prior to that I had a 2009 CBR1000RR 999cc.
If a lower grade gas would be used, it would cause performance issues.
I have a 2011 Ford Edge Ltd. that I use 87 for, but once every 3rd fill up I alternate to 93.
Seems to run a little smother with the 93 and I get a few more miles to the tank, not a lot, but a few.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
Use the lowest grade that's acceptable for your engine. If it says 87 octane, you won't get any benefit from using 89. Manufacturers spend millions on r&d and have a pretty good handle on what your engine needs.

If you've modified your vehicle it has to be tuned on a dyno afterward and you can determine the minimum octane required to prevent detonation. I've had a vehicle that was tuned so extreme that it wouldn't even run with anything less than 107 octane. Not so cool if you can't drive more than 1/2 tank away from a Trickflow 76 station and those bitches are hard to come by.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
My bike and car both require it the Northstar will "ping" like a motherfucker on hills or under hard acceleration without it, my bike has a full MUZZY big bore kit and for $2.00 dollars more a tank I will never take that chance.

That being said, if your vehicle does not REQUIRE it then I agree it is a waste of MULLAH:cool:

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
All 3 of our vechiles take premium or higher. Wouldn't consider running anything less. The stang is tuned for e85 111oct at the pump!

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
I drive a lease so i dont give a shit what happens after 30k miles. That fucker is lucky to get 2 oil changes in that time span lol. Yes, Im an asshole.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic