Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Deficit Deadlifts

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Having trouble keeping my butt low using hook grip. The deficits easily exploited my issue.
Any tips? My 515 deadlift pr vid here shows lower hips while sitting back, for reference (mixed grip)

Last edited by a moderator:
MARTY313

MARTY313

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2012
It all depends on how tall you are versus arm length and all that. I'm 6'1 and have shorter arms.. 5'7 reach.

So I can't get my ass as low as some of my training partners.

I started doing deficits to help correct that problem and get me used getting down lower. After a few weeks of that, not training heavy enough that my form suffered, it helped my set up all together.

Also when you grip the bar before you lift, turn your elbows in toward your body and stick your chest out. That will help keep your ass down by locking your lats in and keep your back more up right.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Reverse hypers and loading the hamstrings would be my .02

E

EastCoast1

Jul 20, 2015
Do you have a video of your regular DL from the side?

I personally like a low box pull(like 2") to find hip position vs the Deficit.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
EastCoast1

Here's block with hook grip which I'm trying to get used to. Not that great of a side view.
My normal mixed grip seems to set me up better. Not sure why.

Here's mixed grip which you've seen from older posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EastCoast1

Jul 20, 2015
Thanks bud. The reason I wanted a side view of your dead from the floor is because if you are setting up with the bar too close to your shins, you will have no choice but for your hips to shoot up to clear your knees. It is the only way around them. I can't get that visual from a block or deficit because it changes the mechanics and how far the bar can start. It is hard to tell from the front.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks bud. The reason I wanted a side view of your dead from the floor is because if you are setting up with the bar too close to your shins, you will have no choice but for your hips to shoot up to clear your knees. It is the only way around them. I can't get that visual from a block or deficit because it changes the mechanics and how far the bar can start. It is hard to tell from the front.

That is perfect. I'm going to try my normal setup I use with mixed with hook. I've been starting with more forward shin lean with mixed but with hook I've tried less with the bar closer. That may be why. I though I could get away with it but I seem to get a way stronger pull the other way.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Reverse hypers and loading the hamstrings would be my .02

Do those often on a rogue reverse hyper setup. Think you're right about loading the hamstrings.
I focused on that with my last session of speed pulls at 50% + 30% band tension. Felt great.
I also focused on turning my elbows in mentioned by EastCoast1. Huge difference!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A lot of it is your setup... the bar is 2" out from your shins and you come forward to the bar with your knees.

Get the bar in closer, sit back harder to keep your shins closer to vertical, flex your lats ( pulling the bar in to you)...... watch big deadlifters like Benni, Bolton, or Eric Lilliebridge. They all set up in a way that lets them ( for their own body type) pull the slack out of the bar and get the bar in close to their center of balance instead of way out in front of them.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic