Members
Latest Member
Kuma
What's New?

Decline press- most underrated exercise

S

sasquatch

Mar 31, 2014
I like decline bench, usually do it in place of a flat bench. Notice a stronger bench press overall on the flat. I used to do with dumb bells for a great stretch in the pecs. Thanks for the post.... I will through some DB declines in the workout.

E

Eup

Mar 13, 2015
This last year been starting most of my chest routine with decline and I feel my chest looks fuller and more defined. Odd thing is my decline is my strongest chest movement I have always had a weak bench and my chest is pretty big I think genetics plays some part in what movements are your strongest and same with my tris they are stupid strong it's crazy

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
I love declines and have always included them in my workouts.Not every workout of course but I mean through the yrs,ive always added them to different chest workouts.Barbell,dumb's,smith,whatever.Ive definitely felt they've helped my over all chest development.With that said though,Ive always been about trying everything which includes as many different exercises,routines,styles,etc that I can and never sticking to a particular discipline, so for me,this is what has worked best.Always changing things up.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I tucked my elbows for quite some time now, but about 6 months ago, I injured my shoulder doing incline BB presses and over use in Judo. (Doing reversals and pinning for an hour straight, yuk). Now, when I flat bench, oddly enough, my shoulder feels better to flair my shoulders, but it is extremely important that I tough to my lower chest and NEVER at my nipple line.

I have almost always been able to do declines with any issues though.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I hate decline press. I think one better than decline press is dips, Lean into the dip and go deep. I think it one of the least used chest exercises. Think about all those guys who get yoked in prison. The do dips all day long. Most if not all the pros do dips, why because it hits all of the lower chest, and brings into play the middle and upper as helping and stabilizing the motion.

Try it out. Ditch the decline press and do deep dips, then cable cross overs low by your belly. If you have to add weight do so, go slow and think about the contraction at the top. Squeeze those pecks

The Old Man

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Think about all those guys who get yoked in prison.

Think of all the crossfitters that do dips not only on the bars but on the rings as well.
or...think of any gymnast on the rings. but don't think too hard ;)

gymnastics_gb_ring_2291417b.jpg

C

Cheops

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2010
Good thing you gave up the crossfits or we would see more gay shit like this! ;)
Think of all the crossfitters that do dips not only on the bars but on the rings as well.
or...think of any gymnast on the rings. but don't think too hard ;)

gymnastics_gb_ring_2291417b.jpg

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I hate decline press. I think one better than decline press is dips, Lean into the dip and go deep. I think it one of the least used chest exercises. Think about all those guys who get yoked in prison. The do dips all day long. Most if not all the pros do dips, why because it hits all of the lower chest, and brings into play the middle and upper as helping and stabilizing the motion.

Try it out. Ditch the decline press and do deep dips, then cable cross overs low by your belly. If you have to add weight do so, go slow and think about the contraction at the top. Squeeze those pecks

The Old Man

No need to go deep on dips. In fact, I would go as far as advise NOT to go deep. Simply lean forward or otherwise to change where the exercise is emphasizing. Why not go deep? The disadvantages and risk outweigh the benefits. Between the sternum getting tremendous pressure to risk of shoulder injury, it's not worth it, IMO. I have actually popped my sternum doing deep dips too, and let me tell you, that shit takes years to go away.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Popped a stirnum?.....wow....never heard of that one.....

Clarification....go deep enough to stress the pecks, not deep enough and its all tricepts...my shoulders are at least 6" above the dip bar....having just had surgery, this is more comfy than decline press..

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I've always done dips with elbows in as a triceps exercise on arm day. I am careful with them.

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Having someone pull my feet back seems to hit the chest more because of the angle. But I train alone these days.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic