Joannafit
What's New?

ChrisLindsay9's Journal - "Lightweight Strong"

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Just a quick update ...

These last two weeks have been a bit rough. I had a nasty chest cold that went nuclear late last week, which resulted in an even nastier sinus infection. I've had two mediocre training sessions in the past 8 days ... and I'm shut down until my jaw and teeth stop aching, and more importantly, until my ears get unplugged - because my sense of balance is all messed up.

It was the worst cold I've ever had, and my first ever sinus infection. It sucks. But I know I'll persevere and get back to lifting soon.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Get well Chris!!! And thanks for supporting us even though you are sick.

Eclipse73

Eclipse73

MuscleHead
Nov 13, 2014
Friday (03/20)
Bench Press: 145x10 (four sets)
DB Floor Press: 45x12 (four sets) – this was really light, but I wanted to be conservative with it as I get familiar with this exercise. So far, I’m liking this accessory exercise a bit better than barbell. I like DB Presses in general, but I don't feel comfortable with my ROM off a bench. DB Floor Pressing seems like a good alternative thus far.
DB Seated OH Press: 45x8 (three sets)
Accessories: DB Front Raises, DB Side Raises, DB Tricep Extensions, DB Spoon Press, Calf Raises
Notes:
I really shortchanged my shoulder work as I was peaking for the Arnold, and can’t believe how much it regressed. I’m going to focus on maintenance level training for shoulders during this training cycle, while I get acclimated to the increased benching volume. And then I’ll start training them on the next cycle.

Sunday (03/22)
Deadlifts: 365x3, 375x3, 385x3, 405x3 (grip on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] rep failed just as I was locking out)
Squat (belt-only, narrow stance): 170x12, 185x12, 200x12
Bench Press (competition pause): 135x5 (three sets)
Accessories: RDLs, DB Rows, KB Curls
Notes:
(1) I’ve read that increased squatting volume can be pretty hard on the hips, so I switched to a narrow squat stance on my volume day. If I notice any issues with regards to recovery, I may alternate between 3 and 2 times a week.
(2) I got the idea of switching to curls with kettlebells from Brother Iron, and after doing some additional reading, thought it would be a more beneficial accessory exercise to my powerlifting training than dumbbells at this point. KB Curls really hit the forearms, which I think is necessary right now for my deadlift progress.

Tuesday (03/24)
Bench Press (wrist wraps, elbow sleeves): 175x3, 175x3, 175x3, 190x1 (smooth)
Wide Grip Bench (off 2 Board): 145x8 (four sets)
Glose Grip Bench (off 2 Board): 135x8 (four sets)
Accessories: Seated Cable Row, Weighted Dips/Neutral-Grip Pullups
Squat (belt-only, narrow stance): 245x3 (three sets)

Thursday - I won't be online to post my Thursday workout this week, so I'll post it next week.

There's a bunch of videos on shoulder and leg/hip mobility exercises that I've got bookmarked on my cell phone - from Kelly Starrett and a couple of other people - that I watch. I don't know the names of the specific routines, but they involve using some bands and bodyweight/foam roller type stretching.

Other warm-up and recovery stuff I’m doing fairly regularly now …
When I start warming up, I have routines that sort of embellish the range of motion of what I'll be doing during my first few warm-up sets.
-For example, my first couple-few sets of deadlifts at 135 are stiffed leg deadlifts, and then I work up to 225 or 250 from a 3" deficit.
-On squats, my few warmup sets are banded good mornings and bodyweight (and up to 95lbs on the bar) paused squats.
-On bench, my first few sets with the bar (and up to 95lbs. or so) are 3-5 normal-grip reps, 2-3 close grip, 1-2 wide grip bench.
Not really mobility work, but I feel like it helps me.

I also have been applying a heating pad a couple of hours leading up to my workout, and then again immediately after my workout. I'm also using the heating pad on my hips, hamstrings, lower and upper back on my rest/recovery days.

Awesome session brother!!!

Very good idea -I mean -streching,warm-up,foam roller and heating pad!!!!
Just today I bought foam roller for the same purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
How are you feeling man?

I hope you get well soon.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
How are you feeling man?

I hope you get well soon.
Almost back to normal, thanks.

THURSDAY 04/09
Bench Press 125x8x4sets, 145x1, 165x1 ... started feeling a bit disoriented so I did some trivial assistance work and cut the workout short

FRIDAY 04/10
Squats 225x5x4sets (belt only), 285x1, 315x1 (belt & knee sleeve) ... got a little off balance on the heavier singles, hit a couple of machines for assistance work, but ultimately felt pretty good that I was able to do that 315x1

SATURDAY 04/11
Bench Press 155x1, 170x1, 185x1, 165x3x3sets (felt pretty good, no light-headed or disorientation issues)
Went 90% on my assistance work (wide grip bench, close grip bench, DB kickbacks)

SUNDAY 04/12
Deadlift 315x1, 365x1, 405x1, 365x3x3sets
Rack Pulls 365x3, 425x3 (vid/pics below - need a form check, please)
Good Mornings 145x5x4sets
2-Arm BB TBar Row 75x10x3sets (vid below - need a form check, please)

So my right ear is still plugged up, but I'm not getting the equilibrium issues that had been bothering me the past couple of weeks, and the congestion that was once like cement in my chest and head has virtually all but dissipated.

So I'd like to think that I'll be able to pick up where I left off, maybe a few less accessory exercises only because my energy level is still a bit diminished.

Last edited:
ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Form Check Please - Rack Pull (is the bar too high up, pic below?)
I won't lie to you, I kinda like my delts in this vid ... heh!
Here's the bar heigth
attachment.php

Form Check - Two hand TBar BB Upright Row (right name?)

Attachments

• Rack Pull Measurement_edit.jpg
    Rack Pull Measurement_edit.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 311
Eclipse73

Eclipse73

MuscleHead
Nov 13, 2014
Great workouts Chris!!!
I'm glad to hear that you feel beter.
Two hand T-bar upright row-the name is t-bar barbell row or t-bar barbell bent-over row-upright row it's completely other exercise,,you can put the handle a bit closer at plates,tight core,don't put the shoulders down(don't lost tension in upper back),,elbows you can keep more by torso but it's not necessarily-it depends how you feel your back,I use bouth position of elbows-that is my opinion

Placebro

Placebro

Nov 3, 2014
You should possibly check out meadows one arm tbars I find that I get a better stretch because of the increased ROM

[video]https://youtu.be/ExuDK5iWKM8[/video]

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
You look great Chris!!!

On the Racks it looks like you weren't getting all the way up there.

And yes...do try the Meadows Rows...they are great!!!

Your rows looked good. Your back looked nice and straight!

Excellent work brother!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
TUESDAY - Bench Press
Bench Press
155x6 x5 sets (75%)
160x6

Wide Grip Bench - 2 Board
145x8 x2 sets

Close Grip Bench - 2 Board
135x8 x2 sets

Seated Cable Row
135x8
137.5x8 x3 sets

Slight Incline DB Pec Flye
30x15 x3 sets (baby weight due to tendonitis in the shoulders)

Pull-Ups (Pronated Grip)
BWx10 x3 sets

[video]https://youtu.be/cx4_sMCb-58[/video]

You look great Chris!!!

On the Racks it looks like you weren't getting all the way up there.

And yes...do try the Meadows Rows...they are great!!!

Your rows looked good. Your back looked nice and straight!

Excellent work brother!
You should possibly check out meadows one arm tbars I find that I get a better stretch because of the increased ROM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll try those Meadow Rows. And Bull, you're right ... I wasn't going to full lock out ... definitely need to improve on that part .. hoping it's just because I hadn't done them in awhile and just a bit rusty.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Hey, Chris, glad you are feeling better. On your question on the rack pulls and the bar position. My understanding is the bar should be below the knees and that is what you have. However, if I were to do them I would have get lower since my arms are shorter. Again, your long arms are advantageous so it becomes a question of whether or not it would be more helpful for you to lower the bar one pin or not. Bull has a good eye, as you also saw, but beyond that, everything looks solid as always.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Didn't feel like I had a lot of energy, but I have learned that the body can lie to you sometimes about that sort of thing, so I pushed through.

Squats
285x5 x4sets (75%)
285x7 (beast mode!)
* the 75% is based off my 1 RM that was done with belt and wraps, but I'm training in knee sleeves this cycle.

3" Deficit Deadlifts (touch n' go)
235x10
245x12

GHRs off Lat Pull Down Machine (holding 10lb. plate)
3 sets of 7 reps

About the squat video, lol ... I have an old iPod that is prone to skip songs when I'm working out, but tonight is the first time it skipped out of my Gym playlist and into a different playlist. This song (which I edited in to the video) started playing right after my first rep of this set ... haha .. I have to say though, I may move this tune into my Gym playlist, it's pretty upbeat.

My GHRs (holding a 10lb. plate)

Hey, Chris, glad you are feeling better. On your question on the rack pulls and the bar position. My understanding is the bar should be below the knees and that is what you have. However, if I were to do them I would have get lower since my arms are shorter. Again, your long arms are advantageous so it becomes a question of whether or not it would be more helpful for you to lower the bar one pin or not. Bull has a good eye, as you also saw, but beyond that, everything looks solid as always.

That's a good point. I actually can't lower the rails in this particular cage, I would just have to stand on another set of plates. I'm already standing on two sets of plates as it is ... so I guess you can technically say that I'm doing deficit rack pulls .. lol

I'll play around with them some more. I primarily am using them to help with lock out and grip strength, so I think I might stand pat with how I set it up.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic