What's New?

Choline Information

tilltheend

tilltheend

MuscleHead
Nov 22, 2011
Choline

What is choline and what does it do?

Choline is an organic compound, classified as an essential nutrient and usually grouped within the Vitamin B complex. This natural amine is found in the lipids that make up cell membranes and in the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. It’s function is of that of a cell-signaling molecule, adding structural integrity to cell membranes and working as an acetylcholine precursor.

Choline in the lecithin form can be found as a basic dietary compound in eggs, meats, soybeans, and peanuts to name a few. This component located in food is usually found in the fatty portion of the cell membrane known as the phospholipids.

What are the benefits of taking choline?

Very similar to tyrosine, dietary choline is a fairly effective neurotransmitter precursor. Choline is responsible for the production of acetylcholine, another neurotransmitter. Acetylcholine is released at the neuromuscular junction and in our brains, making it responsible for many important physiologically important events in our body.

With athletes, concentrations of plasma choline can possibly be reduced by nearly 40% during intense training exercises or competition. This reduced level of choline could lead to a reduction of acetylcholine synthesis and have a negative effect on focus, memory, and performance.

Who can benefit from taking choline?

Strength and endurance athletes could benefit in particular from taking choline. Those looking to lose weight may also benefit from supplementing with choline.

How much choline should I take?

During intense training, 1g of choline per day is recommended. Although, you should always strictly adhere to the label directions found on the supplement.

Does choline have any side effects?

No known side effects at this time. However, for drug interactions, since lecithin has the ability to increase aceylcholine synthesis, it could possibly act synergistically with the supplement known as policosanal that increases acetylcholine action at our neuromuscular junction.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
TTE can you expand on how choline is good for bodybuilders?

tilltheend

tilltheend

MuscleHead
Nov 22, 2011
TTE can you expand on how choline is good for bodybuilders?

With athletes, concentrations of plasma choline can possibly be reduced by nearly 40% during intense training exercises or competition. This reduced level of choline could lead to a reduction of acetylcholine synthesis and have a negative effect on focus, memory, and performance.

F

FitnessFreek

Dec 11, 2011

There is something I want to avoid haha

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

If you're gonna be a dink about it... I said expand, not copy and paste a portion and bold, italicize and underline a singular point. But nevermind... I'll look it up myself. Thanks...

[h=2]ex·pand[/h]   [ik-spand] Show IPA
verb (used with object)1.to increase in extent, size, volume, scope, etc.: Heatexpands most metals. He hopes to expand his company.

2.to spread or stretch out; unfold: A bird expands its wings.

3.to express in fuller form or greater detail; develop: to expanda short story into a novel.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah, you know every IFBB pro is taking choline. it has replaced steroids, GH, slin and even food for them. It is the greatest thing ever brought to the bodybuilding world. I am just glad it finally knocked sasparilla root and yohimbe down from the best supps in the world....

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Sasparilla root gets me swole bruh!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic