Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Cessation of TRT

C

cowhow

Jul 14, 2023
I'll try to keep this short. A little over a year ago my GP put me TRT at 300mg/wk. This was after an initial blood test and a second to confirm the first. I was left on that dosage for a year until this past November when I had a yearly physical and my labs revealed my testosterone level was over 2300. During that year's time there was not a single blood draw. Not one. So since December my GP has been having panic attacks trying to get my level down. He had lowered my dose to 200mg/wk in December but because of a lack of communication out of his office I was never made aware of that and continued the 300mg dose until March. At that time the dose was lowered from then until now. The GP and I had agreed that at this time we would do more lab work and that was not done. Instead he continues with knee jerk reactions and decided based on lab work that was now 5 months old that he would put me on 125mg every four weeks to bring my test levels down. So, basically I'm going from 1200mg/month to only 125mg/month.

What can I expect basically going cold turkey like this? Because it seems that such a drastic drop like this is about the same as going cold turkey. I mean, 125mg a month is nothing. Any advice is great appreciated. And for the record I'm booking an appointment with a urologist ASAP. And another thing for the record my GP is worthless.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Your GP is dumb and had no business giving you a cycle dose as TRT, especially starting out. And then didn't even want you get get labs during that time? 125mg every four weeks? That is some outstanding pharmacological ignorance. There is so much wrong with this doctor you should just cut your losses. I wouldn't use a urologist, either. They're going to push pellets, gels, or whatever. It's all shit. It's a crapshoot going through traditional physicians for TRT. You could get lucky, I guess, but... You probably want this covered by insurance is my guess, but I would recommend going through an actual TRT clinic and paying out of pocket if you have to. My natural levels are double digits, and I feel good on 140mg a week. Others need more, especially if they have lifting backgrounds/experience. Others need less. Your GP should have spent way more time and effort to find the dose that works FOR YOU and isn't the equivalent of using a nuclear bomb to kill a fly.

For going cold turkey, you're just going to feel like crap. Fatigue, mainly, but again it can be individual. I can fall asleep sitting upright in a chair when I come off. At this point, if you switch physicians, you're probably going to have to stay off for a few months to show a need for TRT with new labs, but I have heard from others there are some clinics that don't force you to do that.

C

cowhow

Jul 14, 2023
Your GP is dumb and had no business giving you a cycle dose as TRT, especially starting out. And then didn't even want you get get labs during that time? 125mg every four weeks? That is some outstanding pharmacological ignorance. There is so much wrong with this doctor you should just cut your losses. I wouldn't use a urologist, either. They're going to push pellets, gels, or whatever. It's all shit. It's a crapshoot going through traditional physicians for TRT. You could get lucky, I guess, but... You probably want this covered by insurance is my guess, but I would recommend going through an actual TRT clinic and paying out of pocket if you have to. My natural levels are double digits, and I feel good on 140mg a week. Others need more, especially if they have lifting backgrounds/experience. Others need less. Your GP should have spent way more time and effort to find the dose that works FOR YOU and isn't the equivalent of using a nuclear bomb to kill a fly.

For going cold turkey, you're just going to feel like crap. Fatigue, mainly, but again it can be individual. I can fall asleep sitting upright in a chair when I come off. At this point, if you switch physicians, you're probably going to have to stay off for a few months to show a need for TRT with new labs, but I have heard from others there are some clinics that don't force you to do that.
Clinics are a good option as I pay out of pocket now just avoid all the BS of insurance bureaucracy. And I agree with you that he is ignorant, especially with TRT. He's showing that just by putting me on 125mg a month. He should know that's a non-starter of a dose. It's a scary situation when the patient is more informed than the doctor. And to complicate matters worse I'm relocating out of the country by early October so that means he's sending me away with my test all jacked up. What a douche.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
You are going to feel like crap. The dosing is so infrequent I don't even think you will notice you are taking it.

I have no clue why the GP even started you so high to begin with, as 300 mg a week is a blast cycle for most people. Then to not do follow up labs after 3 months (max) to check your levels... negligence.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I've been doing this on and off for over 3 decades. If it were me I would go completely off for a month and let everything run down, get blood work and go from there. Chances are your level will bottom out at week 3-4. That's what usually happens regardless of what people believe about 1/2 lives etc. Your bloodwork my well still be off in some markers. What I would do from there is go to 100 mg/week and test again in 4 week and go from thre. For a true TRT dose you are looking for a level of ~800 ng/dL, maybe a little lower at the trough (7 days ater your last injection).

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I'll try to keep this short. A little over a year ago my GP put me TRT at 300mg/wk. This was after an initial blood test and a second to confirm the first. I was left on that dosage for a year until this past November when I had a yearly physical and my labs revealed my testosterone level was over 2300. During that year's time there was not a single blood draw. Not one. So since December my GP has been having panic attacks trying to get my level down. He had lowered my dose to 200mg/wk in December but because of a lack of communication out of his office I was never made aware of that and continued the 300mg dose until March. At that time the dose was lowered from then until now. The GP and I had agreed that at this time we would do more lab work and that was not done. Instead he continues with knee jerk reactions and decided based on lab work that was now 5 months old that he would put me on 125mg every four weeks to bring my test levels down. So, basically I'm going from 1200mg/month to only 125mg/month.

What can I expect basically going cold turkey like this? Because it seems that such a drastic drop like this is about the same as going cold turkey. I mean, 125mg a month is nothing. Any advice is great appreciated. And for the record I'm booking an appointment with a urologist ASAP. And another thing for the record my GP is worthless.
OK, so no blood tests at all and he just put you on 300mg/wk. No surprise you are at 2300. I know it is hard to find doctors to write scripts but you may have to take charge of this your self and just use him for the script. Both of the places below are great discount places to get blood work on your own. A doctor will write an order and you just take it to Quest or LabCorp and get the blood drawn. Usually you will have the results the next day.

The easiest way to get the T levels down is just quit for 3-4 weeks. Then get started back at a much lower level. Every one is individual in how you respond but I would start a 100mg/wk and go up or down from there. Depending on how you feel and what the rest of your blood work shows you probably need you serum levels from 650-1100. I am sure if you post your blood work here that you will get lots of help evaluating it. You doctor obviously has no idea what he is doing but he will at least write a script which can be very useful.

If you need more help with a doctor and can't find one this clinic is one of the best for online purposes

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
OK, so no blood tests at all and he just put you on 300mg/wk. No surprise you are at 2300. I know it is hard to find doctors to write scripts but you may have to take charge of this your self and just use him for the script. Both of the places below are great discount places to get blood work on your own. A doctor will write an order and you just take it to Quest or LabCorp and get the blood drawn. Usually you will have the results the next day.

The easiest way to get the T levels down is just quit for 3-4 weeks. Then get started back at a much lower level. Every one is individual in how you respond but I would start a 100mg/wk and go up or down from there. Depending on how you feel and what the rest of your blood work shows you probably need you serum levels from 650-1100. I am sure if you post your blood work here that you will get lots of help evaluating it. You doctor obviously has no idea what he is doing but he will at least write a script which can be very useful.

If you need more help with a doctor and can't find one this clinic is one of the best for online purposes
One of my good friends in his 70s uses them. I am cheap and don't use them.. maybe in the future.

C

cowhow

Jul 14, 2023
Thanks, Bigoted for all that info. And prior to this sudden change in dosage I had been at 100mg/wk and was quite happy and stable. Of course, admittedly that was based on how I felt and not any lab work. I was having no ill side effects, no hair loss, no acnes, no prostate problems, etc. In fact, my lab work done last fall after being on 300mg/wk was all within normal ranges, except for testosterone. At this point, since we're relocating in mid October out of the country this is under a time crunch. As unqualified as this GP is I can't afford to pander his ineptitude but at the same time I don't really need to be in a withdrawal fog while I'm in the process of selling my home and going through the complexities of getting moved to a foreign country. I swear to God this GP needs to be selling nails at Home Depot and not a physician.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks, Bigoted for all that info. And prior to this sudden change in dosage I had been at 100mg/wk and was quite happy and stable. Of course, admittedly that was based on how I felt and not any lab work. I was having no ill side effects, no hair loss, no acnes, no prostate problems, etc. In fact, my lab work done last fall after being on 300mg/wk was all within normal ranges, except for testosterone. At this point, since we're relocating in mid October out of the country this is under a time crunch. As unqualified as this GP is I can't afford to pander his ineptitude but at the same time I don't really need to be in a withdrawal fog while I'm in the process of selling my home and going through the complexities of getting moved to a foreign country. I swear to God this GP needs to be selling nails at Home Depot and not a physician.
I think that is probably a good dose to start with. If you feel goo and there are no unwanted side effects, this is a good dose. Might be a good idea for you in your case to not stop rather just lower the dose to 100mg/wk. Your serum test levels will drop to the adjusted dose. After that periodically do testing to find out how things are going. Then take your time and find another doctor in your new area. Maybe in the country you are moving to it will be very easy to find testosterone.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic