Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Carnivore diet

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
It works. The weight drops off fast at first(water I’m sure) I did ribeyes and beef patties mostly. Sluggish and runs for the first few days. Then you feel good (you don’t poop everyday which is weird at first) but its crazy how you don’t get hungry anywhere near as often after a few days. I ate berries and some greens still. And cheese and cream in my coffee. So I didn’t stick to the strict meat/salt/water some people adhere to. Definitely works. Not the easiest lifestyle wise.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
I am doing a high fat/ high protein from grass fed ground beef with 10% liver and 5% heart added and just getting carbs from fruit/raw honey.

so its carnivore but with the ablilty to not feel like a zombie by still getting in natural sugars from fruit.

it really shrunk my stomach the first few weeks and i am never going back to eating grains or processed food .

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
It seems like the vast majority of people who tried the carnivore diet agree that it really helped them lean out. Some indicate improvement in digestion/gut issues, and many were surprised at how their blood work improved. There appears to be consensus that maintaining a strict carnivore diet tends to result in increased HDL, but some physicians don't think that's a real problem.

Many of those who've done the carnivore diet stay strict with it for about 60-90 days, kind of like an elimination diet. Then, they will slowly introduce some foods to see how they respond. Seems like many who really liked the carnivore diet end up with a "modified" carnivore diet that works for them. I think it would be really good for me.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
It seems like the vast majority of people who tried the carnivore diet agree that it really helped them lean out. Some indicate improvement in digestion/gut issues, and many were surprised at how their blood work improved. There appears to be consensus that maintaining a strict carnivore diet tends to result in increased HDL, but some physicians don't think that's a real problem.

Many of those who've done the carnivore diet stay strict with it for about 60-90 days, kind of like an elimination diet. Then, they will slowly introduce some foods to see how they respond. Seems like many who really liked the carnivore diet end up with a "modified" carnivore diet that works for them. I think it would be really good for me.
I think the biggest thing I learned (or relearned) was that a calorie is not a calorie and simply being in a caloric deficit does NOT mean you will lose weight. Also you DO NOT need carbs for energy. People like to eat them because they taste good and are addictive as fuck. Most people discover this after a few months on carnivore. One of my students (Local cop and crossfit guy) was telling me a few months ago how anything over 3,500 calories per day just made him fat. He has been on carnivore for about 5 weeks now and is down 6 pounds and eating almost 4,500 calories per day. Joints hurt less, better sleep, no brain fog, leaner, and can still do crossfit then Jiu-jitsu for an hour and a half.

I personally haven't seen any negatives eating this way.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
Do that meal program and then intermittent fast....amazing results. I eat a lot of fish when I am doing it. I have 200+ pounds of Blue Fin from last summer so I make that 10 different ways. The fucked part now is you have to, or should test for mercury, but so far, so good.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
It’s encouraging to read the accumulated carnivore knowledge here.
June 1 will be my 5yr carnivore anniversary.
I recommend trying it out to anyone who’s interested, as well as the naysayers. It’s not just for improved body composition, it’s also a natural food / dietary approach to improving or healing numerous disease and ailments in general.
I’ve been broad spectrum in my approach with it over the years — Meaning I’ve taken as close to 100% strict animal based approach as I could; I’ve used some carb cycling intermixed (utilizing white rice, yams, fruit, honey); I’ve done periods of a significant amount of organs, as well as periods minus any organs; I’ve done periods that allowed only water for drink with it,; Done it where I allow one weekly full blown cheat day (with anything goes) and numerous other variations.
Just about everyone who sticks with it will experiment a bit along the way and wind up settling into a personal best fit version. Centering on animal protein and fats is foundational, and various additions and allowances within reason to personal liking winds up helping to integrate it as a longterm sustainable pattern of life.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Tons of good info here. I ran it for 6 months straight and really liked the benefits. The first 2 weeks were tough, after that you settle in. Getting good fats is very important on carnivore and or keto.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think the biggest thing I learned (or relearned) was that a calorie is not a calorie and simply being in a caloric deficit does NOT mean you will lose weight. Also you DO NOT need carbs for energy. People like to eat them because they taste good and are addictive as fuck. Most people discover this after a few months on carnivore. One of my students (Local cop and crossfit guy) was telling me a few months ago how anything over 3,500 calories per day just made him fat. He has been on carnivore for about 5 weeks now and is down 6 pounds and eating almost 4,500 calories per day. Joints hurt less, better sleep, no brain fog, leaner, and can still do crossfit then Jiu-jitsu for an hour and a half.

I personally haven't seen any negatives eating this way.
Hey GS, are you referring to this? Just curious.

Final paragraph conclusion:
In conclusion, it is evident that overfeeding on carbohydrate and/or fat results in body composition alterations that are different than overfeeding on protein. It is commonly believed that 3,500 kcal is equivalent to 0.45 kg (1 pound) of fat and that changing energy balance in accordance with this will produce predictable changes in body weight. However, the overfeeding literature to date does not support this assertion. Dietary protein appears to have a protective effect against fat gain during times of energy surplus, especially when combined with resistance training. Therefore, the evidence suggests that dietary protein may be the key macronutrient in terms of promoting positive changes in body composition.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
here's some more discussion on this that I thought was interesting. This isn't mine. I'm cutting/pasting from elsewhere.

Bomb calorimetry is how calories in food are determined. A bomb calorimeter measures the amount of heat generated by heating a substance until it is ash and no longer produces heat. A piece of wood has calories by bomb calorimetry. Calories in food have nothing to do with biochemistry. (not sure if this is correct). A calorie is not a calorie or we could eat like termites. About protein; Protein is thermogenic.

Quoting from Preddon-Jones et al., The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 87, Issue 5, May 2008, Pages 1558S–1561S, There are 3 areas that contribute:

"1) increased satiety—protein generally increases satiety to a greater extent than carbohydrate or fat and may facilitate a reduction in energy consumption under ad libitum dietary conditions; 2) increased thermogenesis—higher-protein diets are associated with increased thermogenesis, which also influences satiety and augments energy expenditure (in the longer term, increased thermogenesis contributes to the relatively low-energy efficiency of protein); and 3) maintenance or accretion of fat-free mass—in some individuals, a moderately higher protein diet may provide a simulatory effect on muscle protein anabolism, favoring the retention of lean muscle mass while improving metabolic profile."

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic