Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Carb Backloading...

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Been reading and listening to some info on John Keifer and carb backloading.....I know he has a book "Carb Nite Solutions". Since I am going to have some down time with my pec tear and likely surgery, I am figuring to work on my diet, core and endurance. Anyone have some good info or articles for me. I am thinking of buying the E-book or hardcopy but definitely want to soak in as much info as I can. Several well-respected powerlifters have tried his nutritional plan and done very well with it. I figure I got time...why not? Thanks

Cyber2Knight

Cyber2Knight

Aug 20, 2012
Hi. I actually used this protocol without knowing its called backloading. I used it because I train in the afternoon and then have all my carbs for the day post workout and in the evening for the growth benefits and glycogen refilling. Not sure if this is technically correct in terms of carb-backloading but it worked for me. Im no pro though. ;)

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Hi. I actually used this protocol without knowing its called backloading. I used it because I train in the afternoon and then have all my carbs for the day post workout and in the evening for the growth benefits and glycogen refilling. Not sure if this is technically correct in terms of carb-backloading but it worked for me. Im no pro though. ;)

I'm sure it's been called just about everything...lol. Everyone has a tweak or angle on things. How did things go for you? My biggest desire is to be able to train and retain (and possibly gain) strength but lean out. A lot of PLers lost weight/bodyfat and kept their strength. Kinda what I am looking at.

Cyber2Knight

Cyber2Knight

Aug 20, 2012
It worked/works very well for me because its easier for me to give the carbs a miss during the day so that I can have a heavy supper (carbs wise) as my prized meal of the day. I've dropped my bf from 20% to my current 15% (in the past 12 months) while holding on to the muscle, using this method on the intermittent fasting protocol. I know I am holding on to the muscle because I can see the visual improvements and my strength is always gradually increasing. I eat my daily calories in an 8 hour window which starts at about 2pm. I will have a 500KCal lunch to break the fast, then hit the gym after 2 hours. I train for an hour then have a 300KCal post workout shake and when I get home I have my biggest meal of the day which is about 50% of my calorie requirement for the day. The carbs are usually veggies, pasta, basmati rice. Thats on my training day which is 3 times a week Tues, Thurs, Sat. On my off days I only eat about 100gs of carbs - all starchy. I also dont drink any supplements on off days. So I reckon the "carb back load" is my carb heavy eating post work out. Also carbs make me sleepy so it helps with that as well! ;)

Last edited:
hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
It worked/works very well for me because its easier for me to give the carbs a miss during the day so that I can have a heavy supper (carbs wise) as my prized meal of the day. I've dropped my bf from 20% to my current 15% (in the past 12 months) while holding on to the muscle, using this method on the intermittent fasting protocol. I know I am holding on to the muscle because I can see the visual improvements and my strength is always gradually increasing. I eat my daily calories in an 8 hour window which starts at about 2pm. I will have a 500KCal lunch to break the fast, then hit the gym after 2 hours. I train for an hour then have a 300KCal post workout shake and when I get home I have my biggest meal of the day which is about 50% of my calorie requirement for the day. The carbs are usually veggies, pasta, basmati rice. Thats on my training day which is 3 times a week Tues, Thurs, Sat. On my off days I only eat about 100gs of carbs - all starchy. I also dont drink any supplements on off days. So I reckon the "carb back load" is my carb heavy eating post work out. Also carbs make me sleepy so it helps with that as well! ;)

Nice. Great info and feedback. Thanks.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic