Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Car problems: Grinding noise

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
So a week go I changed my breaks on my Nissan because when stopping I started to hear a grinding noise, metal on metal. This isn't my first, i've done it many times. When changing them, I checked out the rotors and everything seemed ok, no pits, dents, etc. Everything goes back on fine, but the right side where the grinding noise was happening starts again. I gave it 2 days and the noise persists. I then take everything apart on the right front break and lube the shit out of it; still the grinding happens. Today I bought some high performance rotors, installed everything fine, and took it for a test drive. GRINDING IS STILL HAPPENING! I'm at a complete lose of what it could be.

Car: Nissan Altima 2005, 102,000 miles.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
With the wheel off and on J. stand have someone press the brakes and check to see if both sides of the calipers are compressing. Might want to check for looseness of the rotor, and see if the wheel bearings are good.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Another thing might be the wear indicator is too close, you can bend that back if need be.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
With the wheel off and on J. stand have someone press the brakes and check to see if both sides of the calipers are compressing. Might want to check for looseness of the rotor, and see if the wheel bearings are good.

I'll do this tonight when the woman gets home. Shit is pissing me off. I've taken this apart at least 5-6 times already. The grinding happens at low speed to stopping. When going 30mph + I can hear at times a skipping noise.

Another thing might be the wear indicator is too close, you can bend that back if need be.

I thought the wear indicator make a squealing sound, like nails on a chalk board.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Yea, I rebuilt mine after some so called experts did it and found a piece for the emergency brake not connected. That skipping noise could be your ABS?

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Yea, I rebuilt mine after some so called experts did it and found a piece for the emergency brake not connected. That skipping noise could be your ABS?

From what I remember, I didn't have my foot on the break when the skipping noise occurred. This is why I bought new rotors, i assumed it was because the old rotors were warped causing this noise. I'm about to head to the gym, so i'll keep an ear out.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic