Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK

Can you use a squat suit to dead lift in?

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Since I'm new to the equipment and I've only ordered the shirt, briefs and squat suit I'm wondering will a squat suit work similarly to the deadlift suit?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Sure you can.... how well it works depends on a lot of things.

Squat and deadlift suits are usually really similar.... lots of people do really well pulling sumo in their canvas squat suits ( usually sans briefs or with a lighter brief underneath)

A dedicated deadlift suit will have a different cut, but isn't really necessary unless you really want one.

If you pull sumo, just go for it.... if you pull conventional it may or may not be too much... I do really well pulling conventional in my Overkill 2-ply no briefs, some guys can work more gear for a few more lbs, some guys can't work that much gear and need a single ply suit.

What kind of suit do you have, and do you pull sumo or conventional?

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I don't have it in my hands yet but it's a Titan Super Centurion. I have recently changed from conventional to a semi sumo and I'm liking it allot, pulled 675 with it yesterday and it felt like it's moved allot more of the work to my legs and it felt pretty good.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't have it in my hands yet but it's a Titan Super Centurion. I have recently changed from conventional to a semi sumo and I'm liking it allot, pulled 675 with it yesterday and it felt like it's moved allot more of the work to my legs and it felt pretty good.

Sumo does move a lot of the work to the legs. 675lbs is a solid pull. I wonder what you'll pull with the suit.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
So do you think the Squat suit will help on my dead lift BI?

I can't say for certain b/c I don't know much about suits (never used a suit or shirt) but I do know briefs will help you A LOT when pulling sumo even semi sumo. Briefs will keep your hips tight and stable which is important when pulling sumo. I'd think your suit would do the same thing, keep your hips tight and stable which in turn helps you lift more. Something else which helps you lift more is wrapping your knees when pulling sumo.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
briefs may help but I normally use a singlet and a good belt when I pull. I have seen people pull in squat suits with some success. And agree that dead suits are a touch different.

As for one style over another. Each one has their advantages. They incorporate different muscles. I try and keep my training varied with some conventional and other training days sumo.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
briefs may help but I normally use a singlet and a good belt when I pull. I have seen people pull in squat suits with some success. And agree that dead suits are a touch different.

As for one style over another. Each one has their advantages. They incorporate different muscles. I try and keep my training varied with some conventional and other training days sumo.

A big advantage for sumo is the decrease in ROM b/c of the stance.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I know several guys (one of whom is a 1000+ lb squatter) who deads in briefs and squat suit...he too, is a sumo deadlift guy. I think the key is having the flexibility to reach down and grab the bar. LOL.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Wow.... lots of points brought up to address....

BI.... a suit is 10x better to pull in then briefs because it will support the back more, conventional pullers get varying carryover from a suit. I have pulled 705 with no belt or suit, and have only gone 750 in the suit.... all conventional.

My wife pulls sumo. She pulls around 250 raw, but has gone low-mid 3's in the suit....Several teammates have similar % of carryover albeit with higher numbers..... sumo will give you a much higher % of carryover than conventional will.

Hawkeye.... it's less about flexibility and more about the will power to fight against the pressure of the suit getting down to the bar LOL... Feeling like your head is going to pop before you've even gotten both hands on the bar isn't for everybody.

The centurion is a pretty tame suit though, and shouldn't give you any problems to pull in. If you have velcro straps just keep them looser then you'd use when you squat until you learn the suit.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Thanks everyone for the replies interesting discussion for sure. PLK, thanks for the suit advice it's greatly appreciated and I will keep you guys up on how it goes when it gets here and I get to pull with it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic