Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Can a try-hard, tough girl, non-lifter have a home?

O

ownthefightkdw

Mar 1, 2014
Can't lift the PVC form bar at this point, maybe never will, but telling me I can't do something is like is like challenging me to a fight.
People keep underestimating me, I keep surprising them, but honestly, the wins aren't all that impressive. I'm thrown around heavy weights after an injury I was never supposed to recover from...my lame-o self spends hours a day trying learn to walk again. My next big goal (and it's a serious BIG goal) is recover enough fm this last surgery--knee--gait train my way back to my motocross crutches and crutch my way through an untuned 5k in June. It'll be earlier than the earliest predicted surgical recovery by maybe 3wks and a solid 6months before earliest decent recovery.

Bust my ass at home to keep the life I have. But too many people won't let me struggle. I don't want an easy button, I want a fight. I want to come out a legit badass, not just a try-hard.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
Of course we like bad ass chicks.....welcome to the Iron Den.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Welcome!! Thanks for coming to the iron den

O

ownthefightkdw

Mar 1, 2014
Nice, and thanks. I suspected the iron den wasn't for complainers.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
This thread is still warm out of the oven, kdw, I suspect you have pushed a button here that will produce many replies . . . . Welcome.

Out of pure snoopiness, tell us more about the injuries, and about how you found us, if you choose to.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Since you describe yourself as a non lifter, I'm surprised that you've wandered into the den. But most are welcome here. Hell, we even have a crossfitter.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Moto-x crutches? Welcome to TID, good place to work yourself back to form

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Welcome to the board.

I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

O

ownthefightkdw

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not a lifter, but I know know about it. Spent many hours eyeballing form & technique on oly lifts for some friends who didn't have anyone else. Turns out that if you breakdown a good lift for me, I'm quick study & bust you on bad form or tell you to drop the bar bc I know you'll miss and receive on you're clavicles & moan all night. I even figured out which of my friends needed more weight to force better technique. Surprised us all being as if they BPing with just me in the gym & couldn't rack it, the best I could do was watch them roll it off, or call 911. Lots of people I know are competing or working at The Arnold this weekend. And if the crossfitter gets out of hand, I can translate.

My story is the typical had then it was gone story. Except it only felt that way to me, I'd crated a nice alternate reality for myself wherein I nothing connected, I just kept plugging away, doing more, working harder, longer, and occupying my life with busy. Trust no one, take care of yourself because no one else will. Meanwhile, in the real world, the medical people knew I was in denial, but no snapping out someone living there for for years, people who needed and wanted stuff loved me because I was dependable perfectionist who do for you then for me.

Always athletic and able to hold my own in any given sport, I had the invites & sponsorships that provided me with the needed gear for elite training camps and traveling teams. But I got the genetic leftovers. The intense training as kid/young adult didn't mix well with what I later discovered was a problem with my connective tissue causing all my joints to be lax. Picture Mel Gibson reducing his should dislocated shoulder--done it enough to teach people how to do it for me.

Still, that reality was easy to dismiss--shoulder pops out, put it back on, go on about day. No big. Had the operations (11 and counting), have the hardware, drink my water through port in my chest.

But now reality sits in my lap everyday. I'd be in the gym, telling someone to switch to one of the women's bars when learning how to DL for the first time because he couldn't manage to keep a straight back...completely miserable bc everyone was doing stuff I couldn't, complaining about how they felt. Yeah, I wanted that back. I miss feeling totally spent and miserably stoked after any max effort workout. The privilege to complain is how I saw it.

It's a brain injury now that pretty well has me fighting to go after the PVC training bar--and gait training to do the 5k, hopefully to compete again (yeah, I'll always be crutching the races, but I'll never take a head start; 6 months ago I finished obstacle race with more behind than in front & finished a little more than an hour after the winner, crutches and all)). The number of concussions I've had put me on par with NFL player from back in the day in terms of cognitive and neurological side effects. Most days I can't tell you tell you my full date of birth, but I can I still easily do certain things confound friends they attempt. Meds are killers and of the kind used for treating Parkinson's and dementia, to name a few. The hardware in my neck hurts, but can't come out.

So I get a little prissy sometimes. My brain messes with my ability to think correctly, feel normally, process things typically, control my body, and sometimes from wanting to give a damn about about the relationship woes of other people. Not fair to them. But I'm incredibly loyal and will give all I can, and because of my brain, sometimes I give too much, to whatever and whomever I care about and have a passion.

My life bar is set pretty low. Pisses me off. I want more. I don't just want to surprise people, I want to stun them. In that way, I can relate to the crossfitter. Don't know if that person does WODs Rx or scaled, but everything in life is scaled for me know and I want a few things more. I want the privilege to complain about training to PR at new weights.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Wow. Nice intro. Welcome to the Den sister.

S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
Welcome. I got into lifting after spending a few years between a wheel chair and walking on a cane after returning from a deployment. The pushing myself with exercising the last few years has great improved my mobility. I didnt have any set goals as far as something to lift but only knew that I wanted to continue to progress and strive for better. So far I am continuing to do just that. I'm sure many others here can also relate to working out and over coming some type of injury.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic