Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Buying a used car ?

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I have a fairly new job that I like alot. I'm a sub-contractor and I answer to no one, work when I want, how much I want, and I pick and chose which home insp. and companies I chose to work with. I need a car as I'm putting way to many mi. on my truck and the gas mileage on a hemi 5.7 aint so good. Local used lots are asking 4-5 times blue book. The bigger dealers have 'buy as is, tow off the lot' cars at or below blue book. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm getting into other than access to car fax and maybe calling the last owner. There is a Subaru dealership about an hr. away and they have many high mileage Subaru's which could fit the bill if I grab the right one. Most are between 130 - 200k mi. I could also attempt a private sale I guess but so much work! Anyway, any used car buyer geniuses on site for free advice ???

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
You want a reliable used car? Look at ads in nicer areas, older communities and buy a honda or toyota. We've had two Priuses. I've put about 275k on 2 of them, my gf put miles as well. We've had $200 in repairs in all the mileage. And they weren't even broken parts, just stuff I saw wearing out. We've never replaced brakes on them either. They just work. 190k on current one, still gets 40+ mpg.

You drive a huge truck though...so doubt youd drive a small car...

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Buying a car is a crap shoot anymore, as you never know why the person who owned it before got rid of it. For example, I bought a 5 year old Ford truck and drove it another 5 years. It was good to me until it wasn't. The truck was paid off, but it got to the point the annual maintenance was more than a car payment would be, so I traded it in for a brand new Chevy truck. That truck I traded in within 25,000 miles, as it started giving me problems at around 15,000 miles and the mechanics were having a hard time diagnosing the issue. Got another brand new Chevy truck that I traded in at around 5,000 miles, as it was having major transmission issues from the start, which turned out to be common in the 8 speed transmission. Ended up getting a used Ram diesel that had really high mileage for its age, so I got it cheap, and I have put another 60k on it towing things all over the US.

You could end up buying one of the newer trucks I traded in thinking you are getting a low mileage truck that maybe someone just upgraded from to find out it is a piece of junk or you could end up getting lucky like I did with my current truck.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Buying a car is a crap shoot anymore, as you never know why the person who owned it before got rid of it. For example, I bought a 5 year old Ford truck and drove it another 5 years. It was good to me until it wasn't. The truck was paid off, but it got to the point the annual maintenance was more than a car payment would be, so I traded it in for a brand new Chevy truck. That truck I traded in within 25,000 miles, as it started giving me problems at around 15,000 miles and the mechanics were having a hard time diagnosing the issue. Got another brand new Chevy truck that I traded in at around 5,000 miles, as it was having major transmission issues from the start, which turned out to be common in the 8 speed transmission. Ended up getting a used Ram diesel that had really high mileage for its age, so I got it cheap, and I have put another 60k on it towing things all over the US.

You could end up buying one of the newer trucks I traded in thinking you are getting a low mileage truck that maybe someone just upgraded from to find out it is a piece of junk or you could end up getting lucky like I did with my current truck.
I’ll never buy another GM product. I bought a brand new 1999 & 2004 Chevy truck. Both lost coolant but no one could figure out what was going on because there was never a leak.

Finally they decided the head gaskets were letting the coolane escape as steam when they got hot so there was never a puddle. Both trucks had a “tick” that one dealership called the Mexican knock.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Tough market right now. My Passat shit the bed with 100k, very low for a VW. So i bought a Jeep Wagoneer 2016 with low miles but it still cost me 18k and interest rates are super high right now so pay as much cash as you can.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011

I was looking for a truck when my Passat shit the bed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic