Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bulking on very low carbs?

Dmaipa

Dmaipa

Sep 14, 2010
Anyone done this? I think I am carb sensitive. I always feel sluggish when eating a ton of carbs. Also a high fat diet boosts test and GH for a natural lifter....

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I allways keep my carbs low, if I want to bulk I raise them a little but prefer fats.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Anyone done this? I think I am carb sensitive. I always feel sluggish when eating a ton of carbs. Also a high fat diet boosts test and GH for a natural lifter....
Yep I've done it. I have used CKD many times for both cutting and bulking. Fat is a better bulker than carbs any day. You get 9 cals for every gram of fat and only 4 for carbs. The math says it works :)

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
I agree with the above, as long as you dont have to do alot of critical thinking on a daily basis I like to bulk on protein and fats. A sweet potato and oatmeal here and there are enough for me.

S

smawshot01

Nov 7, 2011
got to find that magic number with the carbs. maybe ball park of 100-300 range and then get the rest of the cals needed from fats. i have done it successfully with carbs first thing in the am and post workout only.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Yep I've done it. I have used CKD many times for both cutting and bulking. Fat is a better bulker than carbs any day. You get 9 cals for every gram of fat and only 4 for carbs. The math says it works :)

That is interesting i have cut my carbs to 140 grams a day because i am now a type 2 diabetic and have to take metformin also, what fat foods are best for bulking and cutting in your opinon, because i have lost a fair amount of muscle mass, the diabetes took some of it, and also i use to have around 300 grams of carbs a day and cutting them down has also took some as well.

I am about 7% BF now, and would prefer to gain some mass and stay about the same if possible.

Thanks for any Help!

Last edited:
H

heavy hitter

Oct 7, 2013
its very possible, but not as easy. Big John Anderson doesnt eat any carbs whatsoever and he's a huge strongman competitor

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Pre (50g )and post workout (100g) is about all the carbs I'll consume most days. Incidental carbs like a slice or two of bread with a sandwich once in a while. Everything else is Pro or Fat. I don't like the water retention and bloat the high carb bulking brings. I can get 500cals in a big handful of cashews whereas 500cals in carbs would make me feel fat and bloated.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Since a week ago of reading this i have increased my fats, mainly with nuts and peanut butter and avocado's, and my wth has increased around 3lbs and BF and waist have stayed the same.

What is the CKD mentioned above for bulking and cutting btw, and are their any other good fat foods to add other than eggs which allready have.

Thanks for any Help in advance please.

Last edited:
midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
interesting thread. It would be nice to see more input on healthy fats.

I use extra virgin olive oil to cook ground turkey / ground sirloin / chicken breast pan fried and for cooking fried or scrambled eggs...etc..

macadamia nut oil is supposed to be good as well. I saw a video with Jay cutler cooking and he pours it over some foods as well as cooking with it. I suppose the same can be done with olive oil. Add to your protein shakes as well.

Last edited:
H

heavy hitter

Oct 7, 2013
if already using eggs, try switching to omega-3 eggs. much better nutrient profile. Also, look into virgin coconut oil and red palm oil. macadamia nut oil is great as well and tastes delicious. another great healthy fat is grass fed butter. kerrygold makes an irish grass fed butter that can be found at most wal-marts. it's a bit more expensive than regular butter, but again, better nutrient profile. plus it is delicious. much more flavor than regular butter

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
if already using eggs, try switching to omega-3 eggs. much better nutrient profile. Also, look into virgin coconut oil and red palm oil. macadamia nut oil is great as well and tastes delicious. another great healthy fat is grass fed butter. kerrygold makes an irish grass fed butter that can be found at most wal-marts. it's a bit more expensive than regular butter, but again, better nutrient profile. plus it is delicious. much more flavor than regular butter

Just the Job Thanks! Before i had this diabetes i was 270lbs and around 15% BF, try as i could to lose some bulk around my waist, which i wanted rid of. Even tried cutting to around 2000 calories a day and it still would not go, mayb was the 300 grams of carbs doing it, i knew very little about the different aspects concerning diets till i come on here btw.

Also in about 2 weeks of the diabetes, i lost about 30lbs of muscle mass mainly, and in the 3 weeks after i lost another 20lbs until i got the diabetes under control more with the right quantity of tablets from the doctors.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic