angelarbatt
What's New?

Building Better Balance

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
BUILDING BETTER BALANCE

One of our newest members asked for some suggestions on gaining greater balance. I offered a suggestion and thought I would expand on the topic.

Our sense of balance is regulated by a complex interaction of the following parts of the nervous system:
  1. The inner ears (also called the labyrinth) monitor the directions of motion, such as turning or forward-backward, side-to-side, and up-and- down motions.
  2. The eyes observe where the body is in space (i.e., upside down, right side up, etc.) and also the directions of motion.
  3. Skin pressure receptors such as those located in the feet and seat sense what part of the body is down and touching the ground.
  4. Muscle and joint sensory receptors report what parts of the body are moving.
  5. The central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) processes all the bits of information from the four other systems to make some coordinated sense out of it all.
So if you want to improve your sense of balance you need a method of training that addresses the above 5 points. One lift jumps out at me after reviewing those points - The Deadlift.

Think about it; you have an up-down/forward-backward motion; the eyes are fixed on one spot so you are forced to compensate for point 2; the feet are planted on the ground as detected by the pressure receptors, but they are also being depressed in the hands as you attempt to lift thereby confusing the CNS; almost all muscles and joints are performing an action simultaneously thereby forcing very fast calculations from the CNS which address points 4 and 5.

Anyone here shocked that the Deadlift has so many benefits??

----PoB----

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
another great post POB. although you could easily put squat in that category as well.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
in referece to the OP request, i had mentioned before the thread was lost the P90x style aerobics. they incorporate alot of core training movements and stability. Twist, bends and exercises like planking will add tons of stability.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
in referece to the OP request, i had mentioned before the thread was lost the P90x style aerobics. they incorporate alot of core training movements and stability. Twist, bends and exercises like planking will add tons of stability.

Did you seriously just plug P90x on my thread dawg... Are you one of them Beachbody Coaches??? IS THIS A FUCKING PYRAMID SCHEME YOU'RE TRYING TO PERPETRATE ON THE MEMBERSHIP OF TID YOU SUMBITCH!!!!??? lol Just kidding, yeah planks are cool...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
PoB is writing threads on P90x now?!?!?!

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Did you seriously just plug P90x on my thread dawg... Are you one of them Beachbody Coaches??? IS THIS A FUCKING PYRAMID SCHEME YOU'RE TRYING TO PERPETRATE ON THE MEMBERSHIP OF TID YOU SUMBITCH!!!!??? lol Just kidding, yeah planks are cool...

HAHAHA, For everyone who didnt see this thread before that DICK hacker flushed it, the original poster was a female who was getting into martial arts and wanted to better her balance. Moreover she didnt want to go to the gym to do it... and i said P90x STYLE I could have plugged TY-BO, Zumba or any of those type aerobics. ASSCLOWN

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic