Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Best method to keep things clean / sterilise

A

argentiniansteak

Apr 28, 2012
I have collated the following methods for keeping things clean / sterilisation. Can comebody pick the best method from this list:

For All Stuff
-------------
1. The number one thing you should be thinking of is practicing
isolation of sterilized surfaces and items. That is, if a piece is sterile, be sure that it doesn't touch anything that is non-sterile. If your hands touch something that you haven't sterilized, swap gloves. Think of it as a tattoo artist, a piercer, or your doc would. Cross-contamination can wreck the final product.
2. Work in an area or on a tray that you have wiped down with
antiseptic solution before use and make sure you are working in
an area with no air flow OR under a laminar flow hood(If you have
access or know how to make one). If you are using pre-sterilized
and sealed vials the airflow issue isnt as important.

Easiest Method
--------------
Wash with a non-residue soap
Rinse with ISO-alcohol
Bake at 225 for 15 or more minutes and use as soon as it cools enough
Dont use anything you haven't cleaned right before you use it

Easy Method
-----------
Put everything in the dish washer
Rinse with Benzyl alcohol before use

Easy Method
-----------
Wash and heat dry everything before bagging.
Clean everything directly before and after use.

Alternative Method
------------------
Using hot water and the Glass Magic or something like that will remove the particulates from inside of the vials

Use the dishwasher liquid that leaves glass spotless - have that in solution with hot water - dunk the vials in them. Rinse them with regular hot water multiple times, then the final solution rinse should be distilled water.

Then heat sterilize.

A proper sanitation rinse is probably better than rubbing alcohol as far as residue is concerned. Either way, the dry heat sterilization will work fine for this regardless of the alcohol being applied before baking or not.

Thresh Method
-------------
Alcohol bath. Then right in a convention oven @ 250 degrees for 20 min. Turn oven off, remove with rubber gloves from oven AS you need them. Your good to go.

Can microwave them for a few min if you want to.

darkrid3r Method
----------------
I do mine like this:

Wash all parts in anti-bacterial soap and hot water (I use a baby bottle nipple cleaner with stainless steel brush tip to clean the inside of all bottles), rinse with hot water, from here they go into 50% alch solution, from here onto a pan with aluminum foil top down.
Place in oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

Rubber stoppers get done this way:
Wash in anti-bacterial soap, rinsed in hot water, sit in alch solution, placed face UP(this means the part of the stopper that goes inside the vial is face up)

Build brew, take vials out of oven, let cool to the touch while you finish brew.
Move vials from pan to counter, vilter into vial. stopper as soon as the vial is at the apropriate level.
Cap and your done.

There is no need to bake a second time, as long as your workspace is clean (i like to use anti-bacterial wipes on everything all the time) you should be fine.
I have made and ran 50 weeks of product this way with not a single issue ever.
2% ba, 18%bb

I also do all my lab ware the very same way.
Media bottles can be done this way, but its much more difficult to clean the inside, IMO best to use single use bottles unless your equiped to clean the inside of hte bent neck ones.

I have never seen a residue from the alch that I use, Pickup at drug store, its standard rubbing alch that you can get at any drugstore, pharmacy, costco, food store etc.

BA only prevents the bacteria from growing INSIDE the vial, if its already in there your too late. Once this bacteria gets into the body it now has a nice warm moist enviroment to grow and cause potential issues. BA is an inhibitor not a killer.

Method 1
--------
1. Put everything in a dishwasher or put everything in the autoclave
2. Rinse everything with benzyl alcohol before use.

Method 2
--------
1. Clean the vials
2. Wash with soap and distilled water
3. Rinse with distilled water
4. Rinse a second time with isopropyl
5. Dry and heat your vials
6. Place upside down on a baking sheet that has been wiped with an antiseptic
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
8. Place in the oven and let set for 30 mins.
9. Allow vials to cool to room temperature and then repeat the procees.
10. Soak stoppers in hydrogen peroxide for 10 mins.

All other items you use that should be sterilised come factoru sterilised e.g; suringes, needles, filters

Method 3
--------
1. Wash with a non-residue soap
2. Rinse with Isopropyl alcohol
3. Bake for 15 or more minutes
4. Use as soon as its cool enough.
5. Dont use anything you havent cleaned right before using it.

Important Info
--------------
Calculations
Untitled

EO Based Stuff - USE PTFE Filters (Whatman PTFE Polycaps?) - USE 3% BA Total
1. Prefilter EO with 1% BA with a filter then throw away.
2. Filter hormone with BA/BB and any oil seperately.
3. Add sterile EO
4. Use 3% BA Total
5. Let brew site 1 week before injecting

Steps for Preparation
---------------------
1. Prepare solution to be filtered
2. If solution has been heated make sure temperature does not excees 122 Degrees Fahrenheit (50 Degress Celcius). High temperature may melt the filter or damage the filter membrane.

rmewrench

rmewrench

Sep 9, 2011
I wash all my containers, then I put them in a pressure cooker with distilled water and cook for 20min after the top starts blowing off...

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Alcohol rinse, rinse in boiling water, in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. With beakers wash with soap and hot water to get out any particles, then alcohol wash, rinse with boiling water, in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

There are plenty of methods that work, u need to find what suites u best.

usa

usa

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2010
Your temps and times for true sterilization are WAYYYYY off. Furthermore using BA to sterilize glass is not an acceptable method of sterilization. You mention using dishwashing detergent/liquid. But you failed to make sure it's "Phosphate" free. Also vials do not get clean in a household dishwasher, you run the chance of food particulates getting in your vials. One of the Keys to Sterilization is to use minimal chemical cleaners in items that will be used for serums and or injectables. Here is a post written by a very cool dude that uses the KISS method of vial sterilization.

Sterilizing vials can be done a number of ways. The key to UG vial sterilization is two fold. #1. Keeping all particulate contaminants out. #2. Removal of all endotoxins.

Easy way:

1. Vials are washed in Dionized or Distilled water to remove particulate matter, rinsed with DI or Distilled water. Rinse taking care when removing vials from rinse to keep them upside down so you don't get particulates in the vials. (Keep air flow to zero)2. Vials are placed in stainless steel pans and sterilized in dry heat for 5 hours @ 250oC. This accomplishes the sterilization and depyrogenation process.
3. Closures (stoppers) are steam sterilized @ 121oC for 30 minutes, then dried for 2 to 8 hours @105oF.

Added Dry Heat Sterilization times below

170C (340F) 60 minutes
160C (320F) 120 minutes
150C (300F) 150 minutes
140C (285F) 180 minutes
121C (250F) overnight

Moderately difficult way:
1. Vials are washed with DI or Distilled water to remove particulate matter, rinsed with DI or Distilled water. Take care when removing vials from rinse to keep them upside down so you don't get particulates in the vials. (Keep air flow to zero)

2. Pressure steam sterilize at 18-21 psi for 35 minutes.

3. Vials are placed upside down in stainless steel pan and dried at 285 for 1-2 hours.

The key is DI water or Distilled water. If you use tap water you will leave mineral deposits in your vials when you dry them.

Like Flying Dragon stated. There are many ways to sterilize glass. IMHO it really revolves around time and temp.

Last edited:
A

argentiniansteak

Apr 28, 2012
Thanks thats great. What i can add is.. this dishwasher was bought for sterilising only glass.. Food has never been in the dishwasher..

Yes the dishwasher tablets are phosphate free they are these;
EcoZone 5-in-1 Dishwasher Tablets - Smart Green Shop

Surely in that case it should mean the dishwasher should do the first half of the job.. and get the particles out from the vials. Then the second job should be dry heat sterilising the vials...;

The dry heart steriliser ive bought (i receive it tomorrow) is;

a tau steril 600w unit the description is;

" These have been used by dentists, chiropodists, podiatrists, tatooists etc for sterilising equipment. Tau Steril still manufacture similar sterilisers for such use. The unit works although the orange neon to show that the mains supply is turned on does not, but could easily be replaced by a competent person if required. However, you may wish to check if the steriliser meets the current legal hygiene safety requirements if you intend to use it for clinical use. It is model number 018350 and is 600W, so quite economical to run. It can be used manually (you set the temperature and then turn it on or off manually) or in automatic mode, which allows you to set both the temperature and how long you want it to run for - when the timer completes it then switches off. The unit comes complete with 4 removable trays/shelves and has a maximum temperature of 250 deg C and a maximum timer setting of 120 minutes. There is also a red neon to show that the timer is in operation and a green neon to show that it has not yet reached the set temperature. There is a temperature gauge too.

Dimensions: 50cm wide x 34cm deep (including door handle) x 38 cm high.

It could also be used by a hobbyist as an oven e.g. for lamp glass work, bead work, clay etc."

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic